The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,825

    Default 18-19" saddle for shark finned TB for long femur rider.

    Strongly preferring to not have to go custom. Saddle is for my boyfriend who is 6'1, needs at least an 18" seat and measures about 18" from crotch to knee (where knee contacts saddle). He is beginning (improving fast) rider and we would like something he can eventually use for jumping (probably never over 3'). The horse is a shark fin withers TB who looks to have a fairly flat back otherwise. My ainsly pro national- medium tree- fits the horse but I don't think they make those anymore. He and horse are not in same town so we will need to use wither tracing (or other methods- perhaps a paper mache mold so he can look at saddles where he is and have his trainer assess fit for him. Then bring saddle down to try on the horse. Any wisdom that might be offered would be greatly appreciated.

    By the way we just tried a Stubben Wotan (I know this an AP saddle) but it did not work for the withers (also not good enough contact between back of saddle and horses back). Possibly it had a wide tree so that could have been part of the problem).



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mukluk View Post
    Strongly preferring to not have to go custom. Saddle is for my boyfriend who is 6'1, needs at least an 18" seat and measures about 18" from crotch to knee (where knee contacts saddle). He is beginning (improving fast) rider and we would like something he can eventually use for jumping (probably never over 3'). The horse is a shark fin withers TB who looks to have a fairly flat back otherwise. My ainsly pro national- medium tree- fits the horse but I don't think they make those anymore. He and horse are not in same town so we will need to use wither tracing (or other methods- perhaps a paper mache mold so he can look at saddles where he is and have his trainer assess fit for him. Then bring saddle down to try on the horse. Any wisdom that might be offered would be greatly appreciated.

    By the way we just tried a Stubben Wotan (I know this an AP saddle) but it did not work for the withers (also not good enough contact between back of saddle and horses back). Possibly it had a wide tree so that could have been part of the problem).
    Rather than shooting in the dark (a very frustrating process - saddle hunting is difficult enough even when you have a good idea of tree width & shape needed for the horse), touch base with some online saddle fitters, take the photos (views etc are described), do a back tracing & THEN begin looking for a saddle that is likely to fit your BF out of the likely to fit the horse pool.

    In the meantime, search out every post jn4jenny has ever made on here about fitting the shark-finned thoroughbred & saddles in general
    (to fit your BF you'll want to consider where the balance point is on the saddle & where the stirrup bars are - chances are the saddle he instantly loves at this stage in his riding, is not going to be the same saddle that he prefers as he advances in his riding abilities: hopefully your coach is good at this aspect )

    Choose a realistic budget for the saddle vs a budget for fitting & shipping saddles or having a saddle fitter in - the latter is often well worth the $$ IF the fitter has suitable saddles for your BF to try that are also a half decent fit on the horse (i.e. can be fit with a shimmable pad - much better than free floating shims or the multiple pads that some attempt to use: these generally begin to move as the horse moves, especially with a rider that is also moving).

    As your BF wants a saddle that he will be able to jump in & not just hack, fit for both horse & rider become more important - talk to your coach about the practicality of just getting something for now vs getting a saddle that will continue to work for him as he progresses (also consider if the horse he's learning on will be the horse that he will be jumping).

    In general, if the saddle fits the horse very well (ie is stable no matter how the rider moves), then as long as the saddle is not truly awful for the rider - a novice will feel far more secure & balanced than in a saddle which fits the rider better & the horse worse ...

    As you're looking in a market for 18.5 - 19 (or even 19 - 20) saddles, the pool of used saddles that will fit the horse is going to be pretty small, so you may need to increase your budget or just look to get one saddle that will work as he progresses (resale is likely to be limited if you decide to pursue a saddle for now & then a saddle for then)

    If you post (saddle fit style) photos of the horse in question & then of your BF sitting in the best saddle (for him) on the horse, that may generate some particular saddle suggestions that are actually likely to fit both horse & rider.
    Also include a budget & general location (readers may be able to suggest saddle fitters that travel though your area).

    If there are any saddle reps in the area, use that source to again get an idea of what's going to fit horse vs BF - just ensure that the rep actually has some demo saddles that are at least a generous 18 (rep may be able to have bigger saddle shipped in prior to the visit).

    Happy Saddle Hunting


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 31, 2011
    Location
    southeast Georgia
    Posts
    3,374

    Default

    A Stubben Siegfried "extra" (that's with extra-forward flaps) might be a good choice. It's certainly suitable for jumping.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,974

    Default

    I have an 18" narrow tree forward flap Barnsby sitting here on consignment that I always thought would make a good men's hunting saddle, but I haven't had it on anything with shark withers. It was for a slab sided horse in general, and his high withers just fit that well. It's huge for me, and I'm 5'11. I kept it for my hubby, who informed me that he was not going to take part in English riding, ever.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2006
    Location
    Port Perry Ontario - formerly Prodomus
    Posts
    2,364

    Default

    You can order a stubben and the cost is not extra for the 19 with longer flaps - I just ordered one for my son - we have a 29 width for our narrow horse.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2009
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Take a look at Smith Worthington. They have their Stoneleigh on clearance, and it goes to 18". I think this saddle rides on the large size.

    You can send them wither tracings and they should be able to give you a good idea if it will fit the horse. I have no idea how to fit the BF long distance!

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2012
    Posts
    676

    Default

    I definitely saw some used 18"s on iselltack's FB page. Check out iselltack.com



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    My 6' husband needed a super long flap jump saddle for his sharky TB and the only thing that fit the bill was an 18" Reactor Panel Flyer with long flaps. Sadly, he has stopped riding and the horse retired, so the saddle sits...
    ............................................
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB
    ............................................



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 31, 2011
    Location
    southeast Georgia
    Posts
    3,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Take a look at Smith Worthington. They have their Stoneleigh on clearance, and it goes to 18". I think this saddle rides on the large size.

    You can send them wither tracings and they should be able to give you a good idea if it will fit the horse. I have no idea how to fit the BF long distance!

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467
    This looks like a terrific choice. They advertise that the saddle is perfect for high-whithered horses, and the SW saddles are supposed to be great for people with long legs. What a deal--you can't beat that price for a new, good-quality saddle.

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2005
    Location
    Unionville, PA
    Posts
    3,670

    Default

    Have you thought of a Wintec? Not sure they go above 18 though. Mr KC, who is 6'3", rode in one. I have an AP that fits my flatter backed withery TB well with the MN gullet. Haven't tried any of the jump saddles though.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    My 6' husband needed a super long flap jump saddle for his sharky TB and the only thing that fit the bill was an 18" Reactor Panel Flyer with long flaps. Totally got the wither clearance no problem, and added bonuses of the RP are a) adjustability and b) large panels for extra weight distribution of the man riding Sadly, he has stopped riding and the horse retired, so the saddle sits, awaiting sale...
    ............................................
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB
    ............................................



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2006
    Posts
    695

    Default

    My BF is 6'4". He rides in an extra forward courbette vision. Fabulous saddle, wool flocked and amazingly fits *everything* in the barn - our chunky warmblood, our giant warmblood, the TB eventer types etc. Lovely saddle that can be found used for a good price.

    The other option I would second would be the Barnsby. Well made saddles that tend to fit high wither flat backed TB types nicely. They also tend to be more forward cut so fit taller/leggier riders nicely. And - in my humble opinion - the leather quality on a Barnsby cannot be beat. Beautiful sturdy saddles that last forever. :-)


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    The other option I would second would be the Barnsby. Well made saddles that tend to fit high wither flat backed TB types nicely. They also tend to be more forward cut so fit taller/leggier riders nicely. And - in my humble opinion - the leather quality on a Barnsby cannot be beat. Beautiful sturdy saddles that last forever. :-)
    My other saddle that works for the horse (but not for BF) is a Barnsby Omega (all purpose). I call it "the barcalounger" because it is so comfortable.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    This looks like a terrific choice. They advertise that the saddle is perfect for high-whithered horses, and the SW saddles are supposed to be great for people with long legs. What a deal--you can't beat that price for a new, good-quality saddle.

    http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=467
    I have 2 Stoneleighs...one i bought custom 18 years ago and a new one after they went on clearance. I sold my fancy French saddle as I much prefer the balance of the SW. I am very long legged and the semi-cutback head is perfect for TBs.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I have 2 Stoneleighs...one i bought custom 18 years ago and a new one after they went on clearance. I sold my fancy French saddle as I much prefer the balance of the SW. I am very long legged and the semi-cutback head is perfect for TBs.

    SW will also adjust the tree to your horse before sending the saddle out... give them a call, they are very nice people!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    I (and my BF) surely appreciate all of the feedback! I'm feeling like there is some hope for us now! Going to take wither tracings today to assist in the process. Proud of BF yesterday went on a trail ride and his horse bucked a bit and also did a lateral spook... BF stuck like glue! Yay!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2004
    Location
    Sandgate, VT
    Posts
    942

    Default

    Big withers often require fitting modifications like a K or trapezius panel, wither or full front gusset and perhaps a deeper rear gusset to balance the saddle properly. Most saddles can be ordered with those options, along with a more forward/longer flap to accommodate you BF's long femur. Some companies charge more for those options, and some don't. Albion K2 jump and the Black Country Wexford or Ricochet are a few saddles that tend to work well for the leggy rider and high-withered horse. Stubben would be another to consider.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    19,089

    Default

    Just remember that men need much larger seats than women. I have a male friend who is about 5'9 or 5'10, and he rides in a 19" Stubben Roxane S. His horse is a shark finned TB, and the saddle had to be restuffed to fit.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 23, 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    546

    Default

    In addition to some of the fitting options listed above for Black Country, many of the jump saddles can be made with the extended cantle option as shown, for example, on the Tex Eventer. This also provides some extra room for those with a long femur. Also, keep in mind the pommel rise which can be bothersome for some men, particularly if the seat is borderline too small.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 30, 2007
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Update. Ordered the stoneleigh saddle. VERY nice quality. Looks like it fits to me. BF rode in it yesterday and LOVES it. Lesson today so trainer can give a second opinion on fit for horse an the BF. And what a great deal!!!!


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Saddle for shark finned OTTB.... sigh
    By good booie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jan. 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul. 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
  4. Saddle sores and the shark-finned horse...
    By mackandblues in forum Dressage
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr. 18, 2010, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •