The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question HELP? Why is my electric fence not working?

Hello all,

I have less than an acre fenced with 1" tape. Solar charged an no problems until yesterday. I swapped out the solar with a plugin, wires good the ground good. fence is not broken or grounded out anywhere. I even poured hot water in to the frozen ground around the rods. I tried different cords and outlets and still no zaps. The electric is blinking so its getting juice. What am I forgetting?
    *No breaks in tape.
    *Tape not touching anything.
    *Ground and lead wires appear fine.

Folks, what am I missing here?
    Thank you for any suggestions.

Edited to
    Last edited by Vibrant Black; Feb. 16, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: edited to correct info from 'braid' to '1" tape.'

Corrosion on the first contact.

A break in the wire within the braid.

Faulty tester.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

What's a 'faulty tester'? As in those things you use to test the charger? I don't have one of those. I use a rubber handled hammer or my husband's hands to test if the wire is hot or not.

Do you have snow or ice on the ground? Is the ground frozen? Our fences really lose their zap in the winter for these reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    Do you have snow or ice on the ground? Is the ground frozen? Our fences really lose their zap in the winter for these reasons.
    Yes the ground is pretty frozen.

yes frozen ground/snow per the manufacturers is a bad deal

Q: Will winter weather affect my fence's performance?
    A: Frozen ground and snow can definitely affect your fence's performance. Frozen soil doesn't conduct electricity as well as non-frozen soil If there is a lot of snow covering the ground, the snow acts as an insulator, preventing the animal from making contact with the earth and ground. Some farmers and ranchers do not hook up or operate their electric fences during the winter.

There is a way to electrify fences in the winter months (although in snow regions, it's tough), by using a "hot/ground" system rather than the traditional earth ground system. A "hot/ground" system is installed by running parallel wires on the fence. One wire is electrified or hot and the other wire is the ground.

If an animal contacts both the hot and ground wires at the same time, tha animal gets a shock. The ground wire transmits the electricity back to the charger rather than the earth. This type of system is also used in rocky areas or dry regions where soil below the surface has very little moisture.

http://www.zarebasystems.com/resourc...ct-performance