The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I prefer to tie hard and fast. A horse who learns to break a tie is a huge problem.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

1 members found this post helpful.

Slip tie, and if it's a dicey situation (narrow aisle, second horse is aggressive towards mine), I drap the lead line between stall bars. Horse "thinks" he is cross tied, and line is long enough for me to catch it should he move out of position.

On the subject I once boarded at a wonderful, safety conscious barn that had mostly draft horses and chains with bolt clips for the cross ties. I never understood the Bo/BM could be so good about everything else and yet use those.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Slip tie, and if it's a dicey situation (narrow aisle, second horse is aggressive towards mine), I drap the lead line between stall bars. Horse "thinks" he is cross tied, and line is long enough for me to catch it should he move out of position.

On the subject I once boarded at a wonderful, safety conscious barn that had mostly draft horses and chains with bolt clips for the cross ties. I never understood the Bo/BM could be so good about everything else and yet use those.
    Re: the chains. When I rode in Hawaii the barn had huge thick chains for x-ties and my horse loved to flip them all around. I don't know how many times I got clunked in the head because he got a bit too exuberant with his flippage. I never understood it either.

I agree that horses who learn to break ties can be a huge issue. All the x-tie accidents I've seen have been with a horse is setting back and the tie snaps. Horse goes over, which is why I like the slip knots so I can quickly release pressure BEFORE the horse gets to the point of panic.

That being said, how does one go about teaching a horse to ground tie, like really, truly ground tie? Or is there even such a thing as a horse that will stop and refuse to move when a rein or line is dropped on the ground?

Those that say that neither form of tying is a safer option, what is your alternative at shows or any travel/emergency?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I tie my horse in his stall for grooming/tacking up, and my setup is: eye bolt ---> 2 loops baling twine (sisal, not plastic) ---> trailer tie with quick-release end on baling twine ---> horse. Fortunately my horse is exceedingly level-headed and I cannot fathom a situation where he'd ever panic to the point of breaking this. Perhaps if I set his tail on fire or something???

Anyway, anywhere else we tie (i.e., using a leadrope somewhere-- trailer, wash rack, etc.), I use the super-quick-release knot taught to me by a Pony Clubber, the kind where you grab the end of the leadrope, pull, and the whole thing comes undone, no need to thread a rope through a ring or anything. I wish I knew what that knot was called, but it's flippin' brilliant...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I use the Blocker tie rings because the horse is tied but if it panics and sits back, the rope gives without breaking. Only bad thing is my big mare has realized if she just puts enough pressure on it, she can get herself loose (without any drama) with a few tugs. So, with her, I have to do the "level 2" method of tying to the Blocker tie ring. Everyone else gets the level 1 method and it works great.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post

Anyway, anywhere else we tie (i.e., using a leadrope somewhere-- trailer, wash rack, etc.), I use the super-quick-release knot taught to me by a Pony Clubber, the kind where you grab the end of the leadrope, pull, and the whole thing comes undone, no need to thread a rope through a ring or anything. I wish I knew what that knot was called, but it's flippin' brilliant...
    We call it a Pony Club knot...but I don't think that's the proper name for it.

The blocker rings are awesome, but I think the smart ones (or dumb luck ones, depending on how you look at it) eventually learn how to free themselves.

One cross tie in our alley is a bungee style, one end being panic snap attached to string (NOT baling twine) that will break super easily if enough pressure is put on it. The other tie is the velcro style. Personally I hate it when they can break their ties...but after seeing a 3yr old filly throw the Bitch Fit of the year in the wash rack and almost pull down a wall...yeah.

My ideal tying situation would be Pony Club knot. When I tie my horse(s) to the trailer, that's the knot I use. But, both of my horses (knock on wood) tie very well. Inside the trailer, my nylon trailer ties are connected to the tie ring by 550 cord. OP should know what that is. Military people LOVE that sh!t. DH has about 500 feet of it. For cross ties I like the bungee ones. If I had my way I would have those attached to 550 cord attached to the tie ring. I would like to try the Blocker rings paired with super long leads, just to see how it went over. Regarding the chains, I can totally understand it, but that's because I have a horse who will put anything and everything in his mouth that will fit...including the cross tie, if we dare leave him there long enough to get bored (about five seconds).

Where can I learn the pony club knot!? I never learned it, but would love to - but unfortunately I don't know any pony clubbers, and board at a small family-owned 4 stall barn (no other boarders).

Give the bungee style a second thought. If the horse pulls back, the bungee stretches, and stretches, then the twine or string breaks, and the bungee snaps back lightning speed. Combined with the added weight of the snap, it can be very dangerous and may hit you or your horse in the face.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I usually tie hard and fast, and never had a blow-up, but do realize a bee can sting any time - perhaps it's time to get the Blocker rather than say 'never'.

The knot is the 'quick release knot' used in Pony Club. Trouble is that by the time the horse pulls back the rope is so tight you cannot pull it undone -
    any my wimpy way of tying sometimes allows my horse to untie herself.

And those bungee ties (referred to above) should be banned - too many accidents from one snaping when it is stretched and getting an eye, etc.

Hardware on most lead lines is all probbaly made in China, and snaps so easily one wonders of the need for anything??
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I tie to normal (non-plastic) twine with a quick release knot. In the trailer, I use twine and the velcro quick-release ties.