The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anxiety or sore?

I sold a horse a few months ago and he was shipped about 14 hours away. I had him here for a little bit, trail rode him, jumped, rode 4 days a week, kept him barefoot. Never an issue, never bucked, never reared, had great ground manners and loved to be groomed. This is what she wrote to me:

" I am committed to this horse and want to try to sort him out. So far I have put him on gastrogard ( for upper Gi ulcers) Sucralfate (lower GI ulcers) Ranitidine (ulcers) and now added Prevacox (for pain in general) all without results. we have also injected his stifles beacuse the bucking appeared to be while picking up the canter. I just want to make sure its not a pain issue.
    His issues are: does not like to be groomed ..constantly moves, tries to bite (bites constantly) especially sensitive on the right flank towards his hip?. Bites his own flanks. I am wondering if it is all anxiety."

She now has shoes on him, which he never had or needed here. I am at a loss and just don't know what other advice to offer. I suggested his SI joint.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Did someone have a vet check him out?

What is his living situation like? Turnout, buddies, feed? Has he been scoped, or are ulcers just a guess? Seems like a scoping would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    Did someone have a vet check him out?
    Yes a vet checked him out, that is how he had his stifles injected.

Quote Originally Posted by geog272 View Post
    What is his living situation like? Turnout, buddies, feed? Has he been scoped, or are ulcers just a guess? Seems like a scoping would be a good idea.
    I will have to ask her more about his living situation. Not sure if he was scoped or not.

The first thing that we suspect if the horse is biting rt flank is colonic ulcers, remember they are not treated with ulcer guard. You would have to manage that with a very aggressive feeding program. the horse may also be in physical pain. At MAERC we use cold laser to decompress active accu point on the horse. we have had amazing results. Check out out Facebook page
    Mid-Atlantic Equine Rehab Center for more info.

2 members found this post helpful.

Have they pulled bloods?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Bucking into the canter. My new one was doing this along with the biting.
    One word Chiropractor. Mine was out in the ribs/withers afterward no bucking into canter.
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

My suggestion after a full vet workup (which it sounds like she already did) would be to turn him out for 60 days on good pasture with a buddy and just leave him alone. If he's a young horse he may just be overfaced or stressed out over the move and lifestyle change. Bring him back slowly when the weather starts to warm.

I know people hate that suggestion but Dr. Green has cured more horses then any other vet out there .....