The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default repacking a frost free hydrant

Is it possible to replace the packing, the packing nut and the clevis rod without taking the whole head off the hydrant?

I'd like to hear about this as well. We have a frost free that leaks like crazy. Wondering what's going on in there. Since it's winter, have left it alone and just let it leak for now. I don't want a full blown broken water line this time of year
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Packing and packing nut, yes. Clevis rod, maybe. It will depend on how the clevis rod is connected, which you will probably not be able to figure out without removing the head.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If it's a Woodford you can, but you still might have to screw the head off. Any part is availble. I'm not sure about the others.

Never use anything but the proper sized wrench on the packing nut. It's soft brass as is the rod. Absolutely never use a pair of pliers or adjustable wrench. The nut is easily distorted, and then you can never get it to make a proper seal that will last any length of time. Even with a proper sized wrench, you don't want to put much torque on it. If it takes more than a little pressure on the wrench, put in more packing.

Look on line. Some of these companies have diagrams of their products on their websites. Some even give directions and sell repair parts.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Sadly, my hydrant is not a Woodford. It's a Clayton Mark. I bought the repair kit and it comes with no repair instructions, only instructions on how to adjust the flow and install a new hydrant. I was hoping that the head would not need to come off as I am not sure that I am strong enough to take it off by myself.

http://www.americangranby.com/Produc...BNQVJLO1lSSzE7

Zooming in on the hydrant diagram, it appears as if you might be able to replace the clevis rod without removing the head.

You will need to shut the water off. From my experience, it can be extremely difficult to unseat the stopper, which you would need to do to get the clevis rod out far enough to replace.

Do you have a true need to replace the clevis rod, or can you just get by with repacking?

It takes two large pipe wrenches to screw the head off of any hydrant. I wouldn't even try it without a couple of 3 foot (at least) pipe wrenches. I guess you could put pipe on two smaller ones, but I don't like to do that sort of thing.

It looks like for the cost of the repair kit, the rod, and shipping and handling on the rod, that it may be cheaper to just buy a whole new one locally, and take what parts you need out of it.

http://www.deanbennett.com/well-accessories-page30r.pdf

I'm pretty sure the head is going to have to come off to change the rod. The stopper will be screwed on the bottom of it.

Looks like Woodford has finally updated their repair information. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of recommendations from Forum members.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/...aintenance.pdf

Information there will apply to most other manufacturers as well.

Thank you everyone. I just took a look at the Woodford link above and although my hydrant is not a Woodford, I think that the instructions are going to be really helpful.

Whoo hoo! It's done. I got my neighbour to come and help me. He provided the muscle power and an extra long pipe wrench. I provided the diagrams of the hydrant and the information/instructions that I got from the internet. I am so relieved to have a hydrant that is not streaming water out of the top. Thank you everyone for your help. I am so happy!