The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Teaching emergency dismount..

    Is this even done anymore? In this litigious day, I've been told explicitly NOT to teach it for fear of lawsuit.

    Help an old woman out.. how did you go about teaching emergency dismount? Did you have any special requirements? Size of pony? Did the kids have to be bareback? Different instructions between gaits?

    After reading the 'fearful child' thread, it got me thinking..



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2011
    Posts
    766

    Default

    I put my kids on the lunge line, bareback. We begin at the walk, then trot. I do not do it at the canter. I have seen several of my students use it with success although I may not do the final step they are able to land safely.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,340

    Default

    Dito, at the walk then the trot. Kick both feet out of stirrups, grab mane and swing off.

    At summer camp I use it as a relay race, I make a haystring "target" and they get a point for each foot that lands in the circle as they ride by and dismount (no penalty for landing feet first and then butt landing ).
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    148

    Default

    with emergency dismount, or learning to fall, I wouldn't use the careful or babysitter type horse to have someone do it at a walk. I remember a long time ago, I learned to fall/emergency dismount well the pony I was on was fairly old and I'm guessing one of these careful types. Well when I tried quickly getting off when she was walking, she stopped when I started dismounting quickly. However at a trot or faster speed I was able to practice without her stopping.

    This was likely because she was unable to stop immediately.

    of course after I got off she stopped very soon after, so I practiced on a different pony who wasn't so careful/baby sitter type. I learned to fall and roll away quickly.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2009
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Same here, usually included in first lesson, and done progressively harder from starting @ standing still, in both directions & various footings. Along w/ around-the world, touch ears, tail, etc... all the older stuff.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2004
    Location
    Yonder, USA
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Just a thought of something to include in your program, but learning how to fall in a controlled tumble has been a LOT more useful *for me* at preventing serious injury. That's all stuff that can be done without a horse, on gym mats--from somersaults to forward tumbles at the run. Martial arts schools are particularly good at teaching how to safely dissipate the shock of landing.
    ---------------------------


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, Florida
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Regarding your question as to whether it is still taught...yes, it is taught in pony club. All the kids learn it very early on, it is part of their testing.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 18, 2012
    Location
    Through the Looking Glass
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Yes! I was taught the ED as a kid 30+ years ago and have been thankful many times for it. There are going to be times when you are going to hit the ground, and I truly believe it's always better to do it on your own terms

    Glad to hear PC still teaches it. IMHO learning to fall properly is a lot less dangerous than never learning it at all.
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    16,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Just a thought of something to include in your program, but learning how to fall in a controlled tumble has been a LOT more useful *for me* at preventing serious injury. That's all stuff that can be done without a horse, on gym mats--from somersaults to forward tumbles at the run. Martial arts schools are particularly good at teaching how to safely dissipate the shock of landing.
    Ice skating lessons will do a great job of teaching how to fall too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,335

    Default

    As a kid, I wasn't taught the emergency dismount. I was taught to keep the horse between your legs. Worked out really well.

    It wasn't until I was nearly 30 and had started riding English and learned of this emergency dismount that I ever tried it. And I ended up with a Barbaro-esque fracture, plates and screws. I tucked and rolled but held onto the reins so when the horse regained his legs (thought he was going to roll over on top of me) he yanked my right arm out and I landed it on it. Snap, crackle and pop.

    I think that if I were in a position of liability/teaching, I'd TALK about tuck and roll and all that, but I'm not sure I'd practice it a whole lot. Instead, I think I'd be inclined to take things at a pace where the kiddo was learning balance and timing and hope that we weren't getting dumped on any kind of regular basis.

    I've come off a horse a handful of times in my 30 odd years. But only once was it a voluntary launch/tuck and roll and it resulted in a rather large hospital bill and loss of use of my hand in a lot of ways.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default Safely done, off a small, quiet pony

    it's a great tool.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2010
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    I don't see the use of it. If a horse is under control enough that I can safely swing off, land on my feet, and whoa with the reins level with my ears then chances are good that I should just stay on. The only other times I've come off have been unplanned and as the result of a bolt or bad spook/buck. In those instances I want to land as far away from the horse as possible.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2003
    Location
    MI USA
    Posts
    7,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I don't see the use of it. .
    I have always seen the teaching of an emergency dismount as a power tool for the kid. They practice doing it, are comfortable doing it, know where all their body parts are SUPPOSED to go as they exit the animal. I find kid is then COMFORTABLE with horse who acts up a bit, because kid can LEAVE IF THEY CHOOSE, to get out of a problem situation.

    Advantage to me is that kids SELDOM dismount from being scared, they have confidence to work out the problem with horse instead.

    I have seen a couple times when kid SHOULD have done an emergency dismount, but they didn't know how. Horse was running away in the ARENA, jumped the exit gate and lost kid, who did get hurt. Not my kid, not my 4-H Club, so I didn't bring it up to anyone. My kids did know how to do their emergency dismounts safely, even from the tall horse. We did a lot of practice on that, haven't ever needed it to save themselves with, THANK GOODNESS!

    I think it should be taught, kid is skilled at doing it, though they may never need it.

    I had to lead the old horse my kids learned on, she would stop when kids went off balance or got wobbly. So leading her kept her in motion for the various speeds we needed to practice with. Funny, because she never stopped moving as they hung off one side to pickup or drop things galloping in Gymkahna games. Great old horse.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    I was never taught the emergency dismount; I think it just teaches people to bail instead of trying to stay on top. I have seen people get pretty hurt trying to bail out when they may have been able to stick... I'm one who doesn't give up and I have managed to stay in the saddle way past the point where I thought I would surely hit the ground. In a bad situation, I will only dismount if I can get the horse stopped completely.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Just a thought of something to include in your program, but learning how to fall in a controlled tumble has been a LOT more useful *for me* at preventing serious injury. That's all stuff that can be done without a horse, on gym mats--from somersaults to forward tumbles at the run. Martial arts schools are particularly good at teaching how to safely dissipate the shock of landing.
    well, yeah, to got splat in a controlled way...however, the idea of getting off the horse in this manner is not to go splat and lay there, but to keep on rolling, so hopefully the horse won't land on top of you....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Ice skating lessons will do a great job of teaching how to fall too.
    I actually have never really "taught" falling in skating, as I find if you're really skating, you don't have time to think about it. There's more time spent on how to stand up. (The hardest thing to teach people, ESPECIALLY adults, is go fast, because it will hurt a lot less when you fall as you'll skid instead of just slam straight down. The most dangerous people on any rink are people going slowly because they don't know what they're doing and when they go down, they get tangled up. Saw someone open up their head at the ND rink last week that way.) You just try to remember not to put your hands out. I found falling off horses worked better for skating than the reverse as I'd somewhere developed the roll instinct.

    Good comparison though is there are falls you cannot save. I took out my ice dance coach and myself because I jabbed a toepick and there was absolutely no way to keep us from going over backwards. The times I've actually come off a horse, I was coming off, and not in a way I could really control the landing (except a few lucky rolls forward over the shoulder.) Usually I ended up flat on my back or side, and once on my feet hanging on the rail with my trainer yelling how I was lucky it was rubber fencing or I'd have broken both my arms. (Well, it was put out my arms or slam into the fence with my chest...I'd have taken broken arms.)

    And honestly, in most of those situations, I really should NOT have fallen off--the falls over fences, I shouldn't have been jumping but the trainer didn't care (her goal was show students and I didn't know enough to say no, being 12), the other times were massive bolts or spooks I should have ridden out. The few times I've had bucking, I've stayed on. As BuddyRoo says, I'd rather keep the horse between my legs, and the one time I can see jumping (a rearer) I'm not sure jumping off a moving horse is at all comparable.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2012
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I don't remember ever being specifically taught it during horseback riding lessons. Not in a structured way. My father had taught me how to do it when falling off my bike/skates (tuck and roll) so I already had a habit of it. Plus the horse I rode for my first years of lessons spooked at everything so... I kinda learned how to apply it to horses on the go as there was no way I was able to sit his sideways leaps into the air at that point.

    During college we had it sometimes where at the end while walking our trainer would have us dismount suddenly. But it was rather pointless as the horses all stopped for the most part as soon as they felt you shift to dismount.
    Telling a worrier to relax is counterproductive. Then we worry about relaxing.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2011
    Location
    Phillipsburg Ohio
    Posts
    502

    Default

    I learned it, and I taught it to my kids- they think it is great fun. I used it once- on a bolting pony who wouldn't turn or stop for anything. She was headed back to the barn at a flat out gallop, and i figured id rather land in the snowbank now rather than the concrete floor later- worked great-did the penguin slide for 15 feet and hopped up unhurt
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Plainview, MN
    Posts
    3,528

    Default

    This bring back memories! I was taught how to emergency dismount at western dude ranch camp when I was a kid. Feet out of the stirrups, let go of the reins, swing legs and vault off. If a counselor yelled, "SQUIRREL!" we were all to do an emergency dismount. It was I think more of a tool for the counselors to get all the kids off the horses/ponies immediatly when they thought the collective situation was going south and they didn't want anyone bolted off with.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    This bring back memories! I was taught how to emergency dismount at western dude ranch camp when I was a kid. Feet out of the stirrups, let go of the reins, swing legs and vault off. If a counselor yelled, "SQUIRREL!" we were all to do an emergency dismount. It was I think more of a tool for the counselors to get all the kids off the horses/ponies immediatly when they thought the collective situation was going south and they didn't want anyone bolted off with.
    I'm just trying to picture this... does this mean all the kids jumped off and the horses just kept going, since you say everyone let go of the reins? No attempt to stop the horse first?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**



Similar Threads

  1. horse bolts during dismount
    By brindille in forum Eventing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jan. 19, 2013, 03:49 PM
  2. A New Way to Dismount
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov. 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
  3. How do you dismount?
    By Ridinwyoming in forum Off Course
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Nov. 3, 2011, 11:53 AM
  4. emergency dismount?
    By katherineyyyy in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May. 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
  5. Unplanned dismount
    By Laurierace in forum Off Course
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Dec. 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •