The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

Default OK ----> ATX barn/trainer recommendations

Hi! After many years of trying, it looks like I'll finally be moving from central OK, where I've kept my horses on family property for the last few years, to North Austin. I'll be bringing one problem child of a gelding with me. I bought him as a 4y/o from the university polo team and schooled him with minimal help up to being competitive in the modified adults at local schooling h/j shows. I then stopped riding for a few years due to time/money constraints. I started riding again in the fall. I'm a do-it-yourself-er who recognizes her own limitations, so I need to find a barn that can help me finally make the leap from schooling to rated shows without breaking the bank. The caveat is that my gelding has stifle issues and needs lots of turnout, but is dominant and will pick on other geldings if turned out with both mares and geldings. Barn recommendations for north Austin??? I have a truck & trailer so boarding one place and hauling to another for lessons would also work for me.

Hi sweetie. You might try doing a search on these forums; this topic comes up pretty regularly. The first place that comes to mind is Scattered Oaks - poster Nickelodian rides there and they have a ton of turnout.

I ride at Bit By Bit Farms which has plenty of turnout and board isn't hella expensive. Not sure what openings are there now but probably there are some. Rio Vista has lots of turnout too, I believe, but it's more expensive and is more South Austin. Scattered Oaks is good too, I've heard. All three have websites which you can check out.
    My Blog of Photos and Random Anecdotes
    Proud owner of Jones: 15.3 HH Chestnut TB

1 members found this post helpful.

Scattered Oaks, Manor Equestrian Center, and Cameron Equestrian Center are all located in Manor, which is north Austin.

North Austin had a wide variety of definitions. As Jo mentioned, I do ride at Scattered Oaks, which really is in Manor, a small town east of austin, but on the north side. I have been there for years, and it does sound like it might be a good fit for what you need.

Manor equestrian and Cameron are also both in Manor (actually right next door to each other).

Bit by Bit is in Elgin, further east than Manor, and is also a very nice facility with a lot of turn out.

Rio is out by the airport which is South East.

Other places that also come to mind are Caledonia and Step Aside.

I've ridden pretty much with all of these trainers at one point or another (I've been in Austin a long long time), feel free to ask any questions.