The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,888

    Default Vaccination issues

    My horse I have had since July has had a bit of a fun time here.

    I had him vaccinated for West Nile in Aug 2012 and he did fine. Then teeth floated etc. I wanted to spread the vaccinations out since he had not had vaccines before and he's 5 years old and new to the US.

    Vaccinated in Oct 2012 for EHV/EIV and EWT... had a 105 fever; banamine, bute, ranidatine and alcohol baths and in a few days he was fine. Fast forward to February where the show he is going to has vaccination requirements certain vaccines within a 3 month period and certain vaccines within a 6 month period.

    Flu/Rhino was needed again also got a Rabies vaccination AND FEVER!! Very sick, not drinking, so again banamine, and Vet came out to do IV fluids... vials are normal right now but on poop watch.....

    What are your experiences and how do you deal with this kind of thing? Since shows are so strict on this stuff I am going to have a tough time...

    Thanks.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 27, 2000
    Location
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace
    Posts
    9,789

    Default

    I've had two that have been sensitive. Among the things that have helped are simply letting the horse move around the day of the vaccines (with Cool I either had him at home where he lived in a large area or was at a barn where I could leave him in a turnout), banamine with the shots (I do this routinely for Mr. Star), and spreading out the vaccines. Looking at my records for 2012, we did EWT (tetanus and Eastern and Western encephalitis) and WNV, then flu and rhino (Calvenza) a month or so later, then strangles IN a few months later, and finally rabies a month after that. Always with a banamine chaser. My former trainer was a fan of rhinomune so I added that to the mix, but not anymore. Fortunately Star loves injections and his vet, as long as she doesn't have that nasty nasogastric tube.

    I've been told that strangles (IM), rabies and some forms of the WNV are worse with respect to causing reactions than some of the others.

    Some brands seem to give more reactions that others. I had more problems with one vet's vaccines choices than with the current vet.

    This is reminding me that I need to have a chat with the vet's office and figure out how to coordinate both horses' schedules.
    The Evil Chem Prof



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I've had two that have been sensitive. Among the things that have helped are simply letting the horse move around the day of the vaccines (with Cool I either had him at home where he lived in a large area or was at a barn where I could leave him in a turnout), banamine with the shots (I do this routinely for Mr. Star), and spreading out the vaccines. Looking at my records for 2012, we did EWT (tetanus and Eastern and Western encephalitis) and WNV, then flu and rhino (Calvenza) a month or so later, then strangles IN a few months later, and finally rabies a month after that. Always with a banamine chaser. My former trainer was a fan of rhinomune so I added that to the mix, but not anymore. Fortunately Star loves injections and his vet, as long as she doesn't have that nasty nasogastric tube.

    I've been told that strangles (IM), rabies and some forms of the WNV are worse with respect to causing reactions than some of the others.

    Some brands seem to give more reactions that others. I had more problems with one vet's vaccines choices than with the current vet.

    This is reminding me that I need to have a chat with the vet's office and figure out how to coordinate both horses' schedules.

    Thanks Peggy:

    I am glad I'm not alone.. I feel so bad about it but the shows require quite a bit and I really don't blame them. They want coggins and vet certificates along with all the vaccinations within a certain period.

    Are you going to Thermal?
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 27, 2000
    Location
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace
    Posts
    9,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Thanks Peggy:

    I am glad I'm not alone.. I feel so bad about it but the shows require quite a bit and I really don't blame them. They want coggins and vet certificates along with all the vaccinations within a certain period.

    Are you going to Thermal?
    Not with a horse! Are you? I figure that's likely since it's the only show I can think of with vaccination requirements. If so, when?
    The Evil Chem Prof



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 15, 2005
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    My sensitive horse does well with the Vetera vaccines. I spread everything out as much as possible. One of ours used to colic after injectable flu vaccine. She was fine with the intranasal vaccine.

    Even if you don't have to give vaccines for a show, you do want to give the core vaccines to protect your horse and you. I would not want to take a chance on a horse getting rabies and exposing a lot of people to rabies. A few years ago, I met a family in which the father had rabies. He died. It was horrible.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 3, 2012
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Agree that the brand is very important. Try to give a different brand than you did last time.

    And how did you get a 5 year old horse into the country without any vaccination history???
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2010
    Posts
    640

    Default

    My horse twice developed a fever after the flu/rhino shot, even using a different brand and IV banamine the second time. We switched to the intra-nasal version, and he has not had a problem with it. There's another horse at my barn that gets the intra-nasal version as well, because the shot gives her hives.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    3,282

    Default

    I had a horse extremely sensitive. Gave him a gram of bute the night before, had him tacked up and ready and rode him for a good thirty minutes after the injection, bute that night , turned out and bute again the next day. If I didn't do that his hind leg would swell like a tree trunk and it would be weeks befofe it returned to normal.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,321

    Default

    A fever is a normal reaction to a vaccination and in and of itself is not a sign of an adverse reaction or intolerance. Of course if the horse is miserable and uncomfortable with the fever then it can lead to problems.

    Premedicate with aspirin or bute a couple of hours before the vaccinations.
    Click here before you buy.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    We always PRE treat the sensitive ones with Banamine the night before and the night after (with omeprazole if needed) vaccines. All of my others get a Previcox with their vaccines just so I feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,550

    Default

    For the record-not agreeing!!!

    I have had some people tell me that their vet informed them that using bute or Banamine would interfere with the vaccine producing an appropriately high titre.

    My vet always advocated using it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2011
    Location
    Coastal Marsh of Texas
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    What country is the horse from? Hard to believe he was never vaccinated before entering the U.S.

    I'd also vote on changing brands but some horses (like people) just seem to be sensitive and reactive to shots.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2001
    Location
    Dry Ridge, KY USA
    Posts
    3,111

    Default

    Tess is sensitive to vaccines, too. Last year, my Vet decided to give her a 5 in 1, instead of breaking them down into 2 shots on either side of her neck. She had a reaction that left a swelling the size of my hand on the side of her neck. It took weeks to go away.

    This week the Vet gave spring shots. I had him give Dex, before the vaccines. He went back to giving 2 shots, one on each side of her neck.

    I had a Vet in Ohio who gave the vaccines in her chest one year. Tess ended up with a giant hematoma, third boob, hanging between her front legs.

    I am wondering if having titers done would be better for her? Thoughts?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    There is no empirical data that supports that the use of bute or banamine reduces the immune response/immunity post vaccination.

    I had some issues with my mare with a previous version of WNV a few years ago. The adjuvant tends to be the issue so trying a new manufacturer may be in order for you.

    I too split up vaccs and I give banamine at the same time. A low grade fever is part of the normal immune response. Doesn't worry me too much. Going off feed for a day also relatively normal. Some stiffness? lethargy? Normal. But hives, major fever, difficulty breathing, etc? Worrisome.

    So I split things up, give banamine every time.

    By splitting up, you can more easily identify what vaccine is creating the stronger reaction.

    Another thing I won't do? Vaccinate on weekends or in the evenings. It's a lot cheaper to call the vet back out during a weekday.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2009
    Posts
    495

    Default

    What country is the horse from? Hard to believe he was never vaccinated before entering the U.S.

    Are you serious??



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Not with a horse! Are you? I figure that's likely since it's the only show I can think of with vaccination requirements. If so, when?
    5 and 6 with a horse.. yay. I thought the Oaks and Gold Coast had requirements? Just Thermal?
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 25, 2005
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    I don't think I'd give dex... it suppressed the immune system which is the exact opposite of what you want when you're giving vaccines. Kind of defeats the purpose.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    My sensitive horse does well with the Vetera vaccines. I spread everything out as much as possible. One of ours used to colic after injectable flu vaccine. She was fine with the intranasal vaccine.

    Even if you don't have to give vaccines for a show, you do want to give the core vaccines to protect your horse and you. I would not want to take a chance on a horse getting rabies and exposing a lot of people to rabies. A few years ago, I met a family in which the father had rabies. He died. It was horrible.
    I will ask the vet about the intranasal. And agree vaccinating is important because the alternative is not a good one especially a horse that is exposed to a lot.

    He had a 105.6 temp and colic. IV fluids worked today he is pooping and at 98 temp. YAY... the barn he is at are AMAZING. They had cameras on him and everything. Called me with updates I am so lucky. Having horses at home it's hard when they are away but much better when they are in good hands.

    Thank you guys for the information; this gives me something to discuss with the vet for future vaccination options. I think giving bute or banamine the day before sounds like a good idea. We did it the day of the vaccines but not prior.

    I also like the idea of Prevacox... I will also ask the vet if that's an option. I use it on my older horses and it really helps with those aches and pains.... and works great on leg swellings/edema.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuevaburro View Post
    Agree that the brand is very important. Try to give a different brand than you did last time.

    And how did you get a 5 year old horse into the country without any vaccination history???

    I understood Germany does not vaccinate for the same things we have here in the US. Don't think they have West Nile etc.

    I provided a Pre purchase examination from the German vet and blood was drawn for test for Dourine, Glanders, EIA and Piroplasmosis that was negative. That's all they required.

    http://timdutta.com/us-process/
    Last edited by doublesstable; Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Different NSAIDs do different things. Some are better for ortho/muscle pain and some are better at fever reduction.

    It's kind of like the difference between ibuprofen and acetaminophen in people. Ibuprofen is better for muscle aches/arthritis. Acetaminophen is better for fever reduction and pain.

    I am surprised that if you've already talked to your veterinarian, these options haven't come up?

    This isn't exactly a remarkable/unique situation.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



Similar Threads

  1. Anyone get a Shingles Vaccination?
    By ctanner in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May. 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
  2. EVA Vaccination Question
    By aab in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
  3. Vaccination Schedule - VA
    By betweenusgurls in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 14, 2010, 12:18 AM
  4. Vaccination question
    By remrenam in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
  5. Vaccination Question
    By sunnycher in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Apr. 1, 2009, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness