The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Fibre-Beet, anyone feed it?

Just recently heard of this product:
    http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/fibre-beet.cfm

Not even sure if it is available in my area, but it sounds interesting during these times when hay may be scarce.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

$41 bucks for a not even 50 lb bag? Cough cough choke!

Beet pulp and alfalfa pellets are generally pretty cheapish. I wouldn't pay the premium for this product...

Interesting product... but yeah, that price is steep!

A lot of calcium, too, I'd surmise. Not a bad thing if you're feeding a lot of phosphorous, but can cause problems if you throw the Ca:P ratio too far our of whack.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I use both Speedi beet and fibre beet. My older gelding (35!) gets a mix of both soaked with senior pellets because he cannot chew hay or regular beet pulp shreds. One bag lasts me three months so it has been cheaper than beet pulp for me because he went through a lot more bags of regular shreds in three months! My thoroughbred prefers the Speedi beet to regular shreds and one bag also lasts him just over three months instead of a bag of shreds every month. And less trips to the feed store! I know I won't go back to regular beet pulp again!
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

How are you going through a bag of this stuff slower than a bag of regular shreds? If feeding by weight should be the same, if by volume should be faster. Or did you just divvy up servings by cost per, in which case yeah you would have to make it last three times longer.....!

No way in heck would I pay more than three times the normal cost of beet pulp or alfalfa cubes. It's just not that hard to remember to soak things in advance.

Jennifer

1 members found this post helpful.

When we used the shreds we had to mix one scoop (holds 2 lbs senior for size gauge) to make a meal. With fibre beet I use about 1 1/2 cups (cannot recall how much it weighs...did that when I first started) and it makes a full feeding. The fibre beet is super compressed and expands like crazy with water compared to shreds. And my old guy can't eat all the shreds (too big or chewy) and he licks the bowl clean with fibre beet (and Speedi beet) because it is almost the consistency of bran mash. The rep warned me when I talked to them at a horse show that a little goes a long way. Definitely true!
    Becky & Red

So this is different than beet pulp pellets + alfalfa pellets how, exactly?

It soaks faster, maybe? Website says 45 minutes in cold water...which is about how long it took me to do pelleted beat pulp last time I was feeding it, IIRC.

That is an awfully steep price if all you're paying for is maybe a marginally faster soak time. Am I missing something?

Oh, so you read that advertisement *cough, cough* I mean blog post, too, eh?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yea, I'm calling bullsh!t on this product. I don't care how super compressed it is, dry weight is dry weight, whatever it expands to is just water. Therefore 1 lb dry weight is always 1 lb dry weight, no matter how large it expands. Unless there is a significant change in calories from bp to the fibre beet, there is no reason to feed it.
    Now maybe, the fibre beet is compressed so like 2 cups of "heavy" fibre beet is equal to 3 quarts of "light" beet pulp shreds...but that doesn't make up for any price difference or why a bag last three times as long. It would just mean a smaller bag volume to begin with.

Apologize if I don't make sense, lack of coffee...

Plus, I just "love" their reasoning that a liquid diet is the best way to feed your horse because wait for it...they eat GRASS.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah I thought that COTH article was odd .... I was all excited to read an article about "new fiber sources" when it turned out to be one long advertisement for one product - Fibre Beet. I also checked out the price and almost hit the floor. Hay is cheaper (and it isn't all that cheap around here).

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess I wish my horse could eat grass but he is almost 36 and has only a few teeth left so mash it is. We used to use alfalfa cubes (soaked) and he wouldn't touch them. He can't chew the beet pulp shreds even soaked because they are too rubbery. Fibre beet was the perfect solution for him because it has alfalfa and beet pulp. He has kept weight better on this product than any other (and we tried the gamut and had vet out) and knock on wood, no colic bc he is not a big drinker in nearly four years. And for whatever reason it is working out cheaper for me. And I will say for those of us who board a fast soaking time is very important (but I always use hot water so it is fifteen minutes). My barn owner is much happier with his mash mix now than the old shreds in case he forgot to start it early enough.
    Becky & toothless Raalph
    Becky & Red

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Yeah I thought that COTH article was odd .... I was all excited to read an article about "new fiber sources" when it turned out to be one long advertisement for one product - Fibre Beet. I also checked out the price and almost hit the floor. Hay is cheaper (and it isn't all that cheap around here).
    I thought the same thing. Not saying Fibre-Beet isn't a good product or isn't great for some horses (like those who can't eat hay, for example), but I didn't like that whole, "Oh, if hay is too expensive, just feed Fibre-Beet!" angle that the "article" had. Hay IS expensive here in FL--I pay anywhere from $18-24 for an average-sized two-string bale or $36 for a 125-lb 3-string bale. I do give my guy about 2 quarts of T/A cubes a day, but he also has free-choice orchard grass hay in front of him @ all times. I would never cheat him on hay just because it's expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Hay IS expensive here in FL--I pay anywhere from $18-24 for an average-sized two-string bale or $36 for a 125-lb 3-string bale.
    Holy CRAP that's expensive hay, I'm so glad I don't live in FL right now...what kind of hay is that for?? fescue? bermuda? alfalfa? is ALL hay that expensive there right now??

Default Love Fibrebeet/Speedibeet

I have been feeding speedibeet and Fibrebeet ....the horses love it, and prefer it to regular bp and alfalfa pellets....also....it is 95% sugar free and truly low starch and sugar as compared to regular bp

http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/speedi-beet.cfm
    http://www.emeraldvalleyequine.com/fibre-beet.cfm

http://www.britishhorsefeeds.com/com...s/speedi-beet/

http://www.britishhorsefeeds.com/com...cts/fibre-beet

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Holy CRAP that's expensive hay, I'm so glad I don't live in FL right now...what kind of hay is that for?? fescue? bermuda? alfalfa? is ALL hay that expensive there right now??
    That's for either timothy, orchard, or O/A. I mainly buy the 125-lb bales of orchard for $36 and that lasts my one horse for 6-7 days (he has it free-choice but doesn't eat a ton). You can get coastal for much cheaper, but it has pretty much zero nutritional value (and I had a horsepital vet tell me it can cause impactions) and all the coastal they sell here is brown and crappy-looking. Having a horse here is NOT cheap!!

frizzle, where are you located?? maybe you could get hay shipped to you for an all around better price. lucky you only have one horse...i can only imagine what boarding farms charge to keep horses!

I haven't used it, but I have seen it fed and it looks like a nice quality product and is much cleaner and more consistent in quality than the beet pulp I can get here.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    frizzle, where are you located?? maybe you could get hay shipped to you for an all around better price. lucky you only have one horse...i can only imagine what boarding farms charge to keep horses!
    I'm in Miami. And, unfortunately, I can't really get hay shipped because I don't have much storage space @ the barn. The most I can store is *maybe* 6 125-lb bales. So, I'm stuck going to the feed store constantly. Oh, well--that's not too much to complain about!

Boarding actually isn't as bad as you'd think. Average full board is around $650-700, which, considering how much hay is, actually isn't too bad. I'm on part-board and do feel that I am paying WAY too much ($235), but my horse has to have a stall with an attached paddock or he'll weave horribly, so I don't have a whole lot of choice.

sucks about not having much storage space....that's not too bad for board though b/c of the cost of hay.

definitely wouldn't complain about constantly going to the feed store...I wish we had one closer to where I live, it is a 40-45 min drive to get there so I don't go too often. :/

I just picked up a bag of fibre-beet yesterday for my new track baby. The bag is still sitting in my car, so I can't report on if I like it yet or not. I'm only going to use it until spring grass comes in, then I'll switch to regular beet shreds. I picked it up because while standing in the feed store, comparing the labels, it has significantly less sugar and starch than the regular shreds our little feed store has on hand. I didn't care when I was buying beets for my senior, but with a 4 year old, the less fuel I put in that engine, the better.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.