The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2000
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,815

    Unhappy Warning to folks in Wellington

    My credit card was compromised, my last "good" transaction was at a burger place at Wellington mall. Shortly thereafter, there were two small charges made (presumably as a test) to something called MUC Royal Palm Beach. Then they tried to charge over $2000 to PCA Horseshoe in Indiana. Which according to Google is a casino. Thankfully my cc company declined that transaction, but mainly because I'm out of my home country. Someone spending a lot of time here, who could well have large horse-related bills, might not get so lucky. Just wanted to give a heads up.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,281

    Default

    Bump!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    My boss had his "stolen" by some device that read it while it was in his wallet. And his walker was in his front pocket. The aluminum lined wallets are supposed to prevent that. And you are never to give your card to a waiter that takes it back to a station to charge it for you.

    I know, I know, that is standard practice at most restaurants.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Location
    at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    My boss had his "stolen" by some device that read it while it was in his wallet. And his walker was in his front pocket. The aluminum lined wallets are supposed to prevent that. And you are never to give your card to a waiter that takes it back to a station to charge it for you.

    I know, I know, that is standard practice at most restaurants.
    So what ARE you supposed to do at a restaurant?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I recently had a CC flagged by the companys fraud dept due to two 1.00 charges that came through. A rep. called and asked if I had made those charges (NO). The following charges were to a large sporting goods store (also not mine). The rep explained that the scammers always try a couple of small charges (1.00-2.00) just to make sure the card is good before they go for something larger.My card was promptly cancelled and a new one issued. The fraudulant charges were refunded. Hooray for Discover for having on the ball employees looking out for their customers! Moral of the story is, monitor your accounts and quickly report any odd small charge that you don't recognize.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2004
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Yes that happened to my daughter at an Olive Garden! The wait person (who's name was on the receipt God Forbid!) walked in back with her card and must have taken a cell phone photo of it then sent it to someone states away. Luckily my daughter checked her bank acct on-line later that day and caught the beginning of the charges. And she had not used her card for well over a week so it was pretty obvious where it happened.

    She went rounds and rounds with Olive Garden, local wouldn't do anything about it, had to go to corporate. I will out them every time I can now.

    It sure does present a problem with restaurants that have their pay stations away from the public. Maybe have to demand to present your card yourself? and REALLY RIP a place that doesn't protect their customers. TKS for posting - give em hell!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2009
    Location
    Rock Chalk!
    Posts
    3,266

    Default

    Years ago, I had a waitress at a bar walk out on her job - with my CC (and evidently a few others) in her apron. She never tried to use it, in fact I think she tossed the apron with all of the cards in the parking lot. Still made a lot of hassle for everyone.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2004
    Location
    I am not at liberty to say
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    Not my CC, but my debit card was compromised last fall and my entire savings (meager as they were, but still nearing four figures) was spent on an entertainment website. At first I thought it was something like netflix, but no, it was adult entertainment. As my guy friends have repeatedly pointed out to me, that was a really dumb waste of money because apparently a lot of that "entertainment" is free online? I would not nor do I care to ever know. Beats the heck out of me how my card was compromised--they chose to spend my money the week I was sick and bed and not checking my bank account. However for the first time ever, my bank did a good job calling me to ask me if I'd made that transaction since it wasn't a normal spending pattern for me, and they then worked over the next six weeks to recover all my money.

    It is so easy to have credit/debit card compromised now. I am now a lot more paranoid/cautious about my card, albeit there's not much one can do.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Gas stations are big time for cc vandals. They install what's called scimmers and when you swipe your card at the pump poof, they have your information.

    If at all possible go into the gas station store and pay there.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5,502

    Default

    I wouldn't be so quick to blame the place where you had the last legitimate charge. You can't know that for sure is where it was compromised. Could have been any number of places where you have used it, whether in person or online, and not necessarily recently. It is very frustrating for those of us that have it happen, and apparently quite lucrative for those that do it as they just keep going, most never getting caught.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2006
    Location
    The Very Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Yes that happened to my daughter at an Olive Garden! The wait person (who's name was on the receipt God Forbid!) walked in back with her card and must have taken a cell phone photo of it then sent it to someone states away. Luckily my daughter checked her bank acct on-line later that day and caught the beginning of the charges. And she had not used her card for well over a week so it was pretty obvious where it happened.

    She went rounds and rounds with Olive Garden, local wouldn't do anything about it, had to go to corporate. I will out them every time I can now.

    It sure does present a problem with restaurants that have their pay stations away from the public. Maybe have to demand to present your card yourself? and REALLY RIP a place that doesn't protect their customers. TKS for posting - give em hell!
    Wow.

    So remind me again of the logic behind your reasoning that because the restaurant was the last place SHE used the card before noticing other charges it HAD to have been the place the information was stolen? Is it impossible that whoever stole her information did not use it immediately after, or that she would be able to continue using her card herself despite that information already having been compromised? That may be the case, but the argument is far from sound.

    Furthermore, what on earth do you mean by "demand to present your card yourself"? Do you want to go back to the server station and try to figure out their POS?

    Honestly its been my experience that the people who generally need protecting in the service industry are rarely the customers. Servers work their asses off for $2-3 an hour and HOPE that their tips make up for it, endure countless customers whose manners rival that of a toddlers, comply with the most absurd of requests, and now apparently have to be wary of customers (who probably aren't tipping accordingly) trying to accuse them of credit card fraudulence?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Always use a credit card or cash, not a debit card. This way a thief cannot clean out your entire account. You are not liable for fraudulent charges if you report them as soon as you see them. With a debit card it sometimes takes weeks to get your money back if at all.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Always use a credit card or cash, not a debit card. This way a thief cannot clean out your entire account. You are not liable for fraudulent charges if you report them as soon as you see them. With a debit card it sometimes takes weeks to get your money back if at all.
    They can still get your credit card info and take money out. If you have a corporate account the bank is legally not responsible for reimbursing you for any fraud charges.

    The bank will reimburse for regular account fraud but will not go after the criminal because they say it costs more to go after them vs giving you your money back. Sad world we live in.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    They can still get your credit card info and take money out. If you have a corporate account the bank is legally not responsible for reimbursing you for any fraud charges.

    The bank will reimburse for regular account fraud but will not go after the criminal because they say it costs more to go after them vs giving you your money back. Sad world we live in.
    Criminals can't take money out of my bank account by stealing my credit card. Too entirely different institutions.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Criminals can't take money out of my bank account by stealing my credit card. Too entirely different institutions.
    Some CC are connected to the regular accounts.... in that case they are not different. So make sure the cc is not connected..

    Our company as well as personal accounts have been compromised in that way so I know unfortunately from these experiences.
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    34,063

    Default

    I have gone to all of my cc's and bank websites and signed up (free) for fraud alerts. Any ATM withdrawals on the ccs (I don't use them that way), internet purchases, large amount purchases and so forth generate an e mail I can check on a smartphone daily. Gives me some peace of mind.

    BTW, I recently lost my phone...did you know you can suspend your phone service very quickly by going to your service providers website and just doing a point and click-easily restored if you find the phone. Might want to go take a look so you can get to it in a hurry. In my case, the phone turned up in a parking lot and was turned in 2 days later...but not before somebody tried to access my credit union thru it's app in the hour between losing it and suspending the service. After 3 unsuccesful tries at guessing the password, my account was locked. Check with your bank or CU and see if they routinely do that or it's offered as an option.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 1, 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,849

    Exclamation CC SCAMS IN PALM BEACH COUNTY

    YES, anyone visiting the Wellington area or south Florida in general - there have been a lot of reports of credit card skimming lately, so BEWARE and keep an eye on your accounts and transactions. This was a big story in Palm Beach County especially, with an arrest made in Boca Raton last week or the week before.
    People either love me or they hate me. Or they think I'm ok.



Similar Threads

  1. WARNING
    By RHdobes563 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Dec. 5, 2012, 08:21 PM
  2. Instead of Wellington....
    By paintjumper in forum Dressage
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jan. 5, 2010, 04:31 PM
  3. Wellington Pro vs GR8?
    By kgro632 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec. 1, 2009, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness