The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Tack review: Best $99 I've spent. My new Bobby's girth is gorgeous!! *PICS*

I'm both ecstatic and relieved after my latest purchase! If you've ever bought something (or a few things) online that didn't make you as happy as you thought it would when you eventually received it....you feel my pain! I'm OCD about my tack. Having a girth that didn't match my saddle was really bugging me! My Butet is 20 years old, and finding a girth that matched it had proven itself not easy after buying a several different girths online and returning them because they didn't match my saddle well enough. Totally thrilled when I opened the package today and found one that fit the bill!

BIG thanks to Tackzone.com! Their customer service was excellent via email. I emailed them a photo of my saddle because I was torn over which color Bobby's girth to order. The very few tack sites that sell this girth only offer it in Havana and Light Brown, but it turns out Bobby's English Tack makes this girth in "Dark Brown" which is what this girth's color is. For some reason Tackzone didn't have this color option pictured or listed so I was a little worried I'd be left returning yet another girth! They were spot on with the color recommendation and I'm thrilled!

The leather is superb quality, it is generously padded and the stitching is gorgeous. The triple elastic is THICK and sturdy. It would probably take years of use and abuse to stretch it out.
    I can't believe it only cost $99!! I would have easily paid double if I had seen it in a store.

I'm posting this because I hope it will help someone like me who searched the internet high and low to find pictures of this girth in this color, but to no avail.

So here it is!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps00e94e12.jpg

I hadn't returned the Smartpak girth yet because I was just going to settle with it if the Bobby's didn't match. For reference, here they are side by side (Smartpak on the right...which only has double ply elastic that is thin and flimsy).
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...psa5990083.jpg

5 members found this post helpful.

I bought a Bobby's bridle in-store for $180 after picking it up and feeling it. I compared it to other much more expensive brands and other similarly priced brands and it impressed me so much. I love it! I'm definitely a convert now.

Thanks for posting the girth...I have a similarly colored saddle and after oiling my bridle it'll match. Congrats on your awesome purchase!

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Bobby's English tack... great quality, great prices, lasts forever. I feel like it's one of those brands that just doesn't get enough recognition. Congrats on finding your perfect girth!

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, I love Bobby's English tack! I have used their bridles for years, love them.

Ahh, perfect timing. My saddle is just about the same color, and I've been looking tirelessly for a new girth. So many of them are jacked up in cost and don't deliver. Thanks for the recommendation!

I bought the same one back in December. Great girth, I also have the matching bridle and martingale.

*drool*

*drools some more.*
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Also drooling...

May need to make a new purchase...

Thank you for being both OCD and altruistic enough to share your "win picture" with all of us.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful and perfectly matching saddle and girth! Way to go!

that is a gorgeous girth, and it looks like exactly what I need to match my hard to match saddle (while mine is a Toulouse it looks just like yours, colorwise).

I'm having a hard time with a bridle right now, deciding which of the two colors on the saddle to match. . . any recommendations?

Beautiful match! The girth is lovely! Enjoy.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Is there a link to their website? That matches perfectly congrats!

Wow, big difference between Bobby's and Smartpak. The stitching isn't as good and you can see the elastic on the Smartpak girth is wavy. That Bobby's girth is beautiful!

Wow that is nice. And your saddle is 20 years old?? Way to take care of your gear. My three year old Frenchie saddle doesn't look that nice... Of course I could clean it from time to time...

I'm currently using those $20 fabric with sewed on fake-fleece girths, which I admit I love, but probably not ideal for showing . I may have to cave.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Which model is this girth? I'm looking for a new leather one, and I think I just found it

Thanks everyone!!! I'm glad this is helpful for others, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxx View Post
    Is there a link to their website? That matches perfectly congrats!
    Here's the link to the girth http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/1130...th-p-1220.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Wow that is nice. And your saddle is 20 years old?? Way to take care of your gear. My three year old Frenchie saddle doesn't look that nice... Of course I could clean it from time to time...

I'm currently using those $20 fabric with sewed on fake-fleece girths, which I admit I love, but probably not ideal for showing . I may have to cave.
    Thanks!! Its a 1993 model. I can't take all the credit for its condition because I bought it used, but I do love to keep it looking pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    Which model is this girth? I'm looking for a new leather one, and I think I just found it
    This is the girth, but the color I have isn't listed. If you want it in that color, just specify in the comments at checkout that you want this girth in "dark brown" (not to be confused with Havana). http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/1130...th-p-1220.html

Love Bobby's! I have two or three of their bridles, (Two for sure but I MAY have a third one... IDK I have too many bridles) and they are such good quality. I also have a Bobby's leather halter, a couple martengales and some other various pieces of tack (there was a tack store where I boarded that had a LOT of Bobby's stuff dangerously and tantalizingly all over the store) and have loved all of it.

My black bridle was relegated to trail and schooling after my horse decided she didn't want to be a dressage horse. It's still in beautiful condition even though she used to dunk her whole head under water on the trail!

Is the one you got the Havana or light Brown, been looking for something to match my Albion jump saddle which is that super dark chocolate Brown.
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Darn, looks like it maxes out at a 54". I think I would need a 56"...for my coming 3 year old