The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SO Takes the Most Adorable Riding Lessons Ever

So, my recently-started-dating SO seems to think he can impress me by learning to ride. (Good call!)

Despite the fact that I generally have time to teach him at 9pm, and that it has been positively frigid in Buffalo lately, he persists. He has been learning on my old campaigner, Alph, who I retired from competition work but who is perfectly happy to do easy work and be a teacher.

He has also learned how to do blankets, can put the Eskadrons on straight, and nearly got the bridle on by himself last lesson.

I made a progress video which I personally think is the most adorable thing in the world, but I could be biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQiUjmlqKY

11 members found this post helpful.

My daughter and I watched it, yah it is cute. Good luck with him, hope it works out.

He looks great and likes he's improving quickly! I love when he starts putting his hands out to the side...he's like "I got this"
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

1 members found this post helpful.

When I was first dating my husband I jokingly told him that if my horse didn't like him it was over. He showed up at the barn the first time with a 10lb bag of carrots. Poor guy obviously didn't suspect it woud lead to marriage and farm full of work.

14 members found this post helpful.

DH was already horsey, but I gotta admit, that's cute!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Absolutely awesome! Gotta love a guy that is willing to put up with freezing cold weather to do something you like, and is willing to allow you to be the "boss" for it. He's doing great!

3 members found this post helpful.

You are a brave, brave lady teaching your SO to ride! I tried to teach Mr ddashaq a few years after we started dating and he spent more time arguing with me than actually riding. Your guy looks like he is doing well!

Lesson 5! Kudos to your guy! My husband has ridden(and I use the term loosely) twice. That was enough for him Such a saint of a horse you have there as well. Any man who sticks it out at 9pm in the cold temps, to take a lesson from his new lady, is a keeper, imho

take yourself off of that online dating site that I read about in off topic, you've found your man "wink wink nudge nudge say no more"
    Last edited by up-at-5; Feb. 15, 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: adding more stuff
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

2 members found this post helpful.

Aww that's cute! The horse is awesome too I agree w/up-at-5 that's a keeper!!!

Very cool! I like how you worked with him on his balance first Keep posting these if you can - it gives me hope for DH LOL!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Awesome!! Yes, it's very cute. Very cool that he wants to learn to ride and is clearly putting a sincere effort into it, he's making obvious progress.. He must really like you . And, he's humble and willing to learn too. Sounds like a keeper to me.

My husband is one of those who thinks he already knows how to do everything and won't take instruction...needless to say, he is not allowed to ride since he will not take a lesson.

Hes a 10 for even just attempting to be apart of something so important to you.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    You are a brave, brave lady teaching your SO to ride! I tried to teach Mr ddashaq a few years after we started dating and he spent more time arguing with me than actually riding. Your guy looks like he is doing well!
    I think it's much easier to teach (or be taught by) your SO when your still in the early stages of the relationship...after being together for a few years your no longer trying to make a good impression!

ETA: He's looking great!!

4 members found this post helpful.

The last time my husband rode a horse was in 1980 when we were first dating. I believe it was also the first time he rode a horse.

Nice Valentine video!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

That's so awesome. I agree, this one's a keeper!

Will you take my SO? For lessons I mean Or better yet, can I have your horse? I tried to give my SO lessons years ago, and it was a disaster. Now he's decided he wants his own horse, which is great, but it's proving difficult to find a good match.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

looks like when my husband learned to ride...lol except i never put him on a lunge line, I turned him loose on a big old trustworthy mare. He's doing great!

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    My husband is one of those who thinks he already knows how to do everything and won't take instruction...needless to say, he is not allowed to ride since he will not take a lesson.
    I don't get that, and I'm a guy. Hand him the keys to an airplane and tell him to fly away.

Adorable. Your boyfriend is a real trooper, and that grey horse is a total saint!
    Thanks for posting this, it put a big smile on my face after a tough day!