The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Phnaarrrr..... you should be ashamed, wifey !
    What, he has the stronger hands, it's only fair!

But yes, a stubby screwdriver makes all the difference. I do find I change mine a couple of times per year.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Really? I have always found them pretty easy on both my old Wintec (sold it) and my Collegiate. I also have a changey Kent & Masters, that one has twice as many screws, so it takes longer, but not difficult.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    but it takes me All day, and Three strong husbands (not my own) to change the gullet.
    I hope you don't have three husbands, strong or otherwise! But if you do have a spare, send him my way!

Gullet changing is always accompanied by much mumbling and grumbling... "easy-change, hah! This isn't frickin' easy, it takes an act of God to get it back together!"
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I've had several wintecs through the years as well as an adjustable Collegiate that uses the Bates system. It does take some muscle but I really don't find it difficult at all now. I do have to sit on the floor with it and wrestle with it though to work. It's not anything that would prevent me from getting another one.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieSlew View Post
    I've had several wintecs through the years as well as an adjustable Collegiate that uses the Bates system. It does take some muscle but I really don't find it difficult at all now. I do have to sit on the floor with it and wrestle with it though to work. It's not anything that would prevent me from getting another one.
    Oh, no, i LOVE my Wintecs, but it is not that easy to change them. I guess if EACH saddle had been changed more than 5 times, then they would be easier to change out. i am grateful that they offer a change in gullet, bc my horses are both on the slightly wider end of the gullets.

This thread is BEYOND timely for me. As I type, my wintec dressage saddle is sitting on the back of a chairback....YES after 2 hours, I got the right screwdrivers, got the head opened, figured out how to pull the panels down, and after another hour got the newer gullet in FINALLY where the screws were flush and not sticking out at an angle so badly I couldn't leave them like that.....
    but now? I cannot re thread the screws and the opposite side (screw holders?) that they connect to back into the saddle to finish the job. I had to take a break and tell my daughter: you'll ride in the hunter saddle until you can help me with this.....because we're both lucky I didn't set it on fire earlier today.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

I spared my face and punched my wallet with a couple of custom fitted Albions instead... :P And yes, I have had several Wintecs, owned the A/P and the dressage and had the Aussie and the close contact, as well as a Bates Isabell, in my possession.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    This thread is BEYOND timely for me. As I type, my wintec dressage saddle is sitting on the back of a chairback....YES after 2 hours, I got the right screwdrivers, got the head opened, figured out how to pull the panels down, and after another hour got the newer gullet in FINALLY where the screws were flush and not sticking out at an angle so badly I couldn't leave them like that.....
    but now? I cannot re thread the screws and the opposite side (screw holders?) that they connect to back into the saddle to finish the job. I had to take a break and tell my daughter: you'll ride in the hunter saddle until you can help me with this.....because we're both lucky I didn't set it on fire earlier today.
    You have to turn both screwdrivers together at the same time...that's what I always had to do. I got quite good at it but it was still a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I had trouble getting a Wintec with a wide gullet squeezed down to a medium. I called a tack store and they told me that you should always go up or down incrementally -- trying to go to far with one change is very difficult.

I had one of the Rembrandt saddles that adjusted with an allen key years ago. It worked okay but it would slip over time.
    They're full of road apples. Extra narrow to extra wide isn't any more difficult than any other change. I should know, I had both types of horses to fit to.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    And if your Wintec ever gets a boo-boo expect ZERO customer service support from Wintec!
    I know that's a fact! I tried getting some info on a used Aussie I had here...yeah, good luck with that! I wanted to order new pommel screws too...not the gullet screws, but the insignia screws. You know what they say about wishing in one hand...

Oh gosh!

I LOVE My bates!! and it IS easy to change.... if you've done it several times.

I have 3 horses(well, 4, but that 4th one is on stall rest... long story but I'll hopefully start him in the late fall/early spring):
    11 year old OTTB that has been sitting in a pasture for 7 years, so almost no muscle and needs some weight (gaining both with time)
    15 year old round with-a-dent-for-a-spine QH/App cross
    12 year old Connemera that has a "normal" back.

They all use different gullets. and I ride the Connemera and OTTB most often, so I have to jump off one, take my saddle to the tack room, change the gullet, get on the next.

Its speed-changing!!!

I have absolutely No issues with the changing system, I've done it probably 20-50 times, and its easy now! you just have to A) keep your tools where you know their where abouts B) keep your saddle oiled or clean, helps with the suppleness C) do it a lot and you'll get your rhythm!

I'm assuming you have the one where the D-rings are the outer screws? That's what my Bates Elevation DS has. Its a 2011 model, and I LOVE IT!!!

My best advice is sit in a chair with your knees hanging off, have your tools on a table beside you, and put your saddle on one thigh, using the other knee to hold it on your leg as you unscrew the outer screws, and then pull the top up, hold it with one arm (your knee should hold the saddle on your thigh), and grab the screwdriver, and get to work! It also is easiest if you take the gullet one step down/up at a time.

Couple notes on how I do it:
    I Unscrew one side at a time
    When putting the new gullet in, get the holes through the gullet, and they'll hold there for you to start the screw by hand, start both by hand, then tighten one almost all the way, then the other the whole way, then the other the whole way

when putting the outer screws back, thread one, tighten it a little, thread the other tighten it completely, and then finish the first one

Oh, and since mine is leather (LOVE THE LEATHER!!) I keep it oiled and that helps the quality and suppleness.

It gets easier, promise!!

Wouldn't trade my Bates for anything, love it!! SO much cheaper than having 3 different saddles!!
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

RubyTuesday, how did you like your Isabell? (besides the gullet, that is. the gullets don't bother me) Did it fit you and your horse? Did it hold up?

Thanks!!
    TBHJ
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

Quote Originally Posted by TBHunterJumper View Post
    RubyTuesday, how did you like your Isabell? (besides the gullet, that is. the gullets don't bother me) Did it fit you and your horse? Did it hold up?

Thanks!!
    TBHJ
    Liked the Isabell okay for me, but the horse in question has an odd back so she needed something that had more flocking options and could have wedges added or dropped in the panels. She's definitely one that does not fit into the standard range of saddle fits.

Have seen several other people who have Isabells, and yes, I would say they hold up, though the Bates looks better and wears better than the Wintec, I'd say.