The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dear Wintec-

Dear Wintec- your 'easy-change gullet system' should be renamed to the 'Pretty Difficult, Very frustrating Gullet change system.'

Good Grief. I have a 2005 model AP 2000. I Love it, so hubby rode in it and wanted his own. We had to change the gullet for his new horse. OMG, my saddle is much easier than the new one. it took us SO long to get this saddle ready for tomorrow. As much as i do love these saddles, WOW, what a workout.

I don't know if you bought a new saddle or not, but the changing does seem to get easier after the first couple of changes. I've had that issue with both Wintecs and my Pessoa.

1 members found this post helpful.

The first time I changed out a Wintec gullet, I was just a student...and a beginner. I assumed that I had missed something.

The SECOND time I changed it out, I was a fully qualified Mechanical Engineer. And it was still $%&$%&$%& hard!

My solution is to have horses be all the same size.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

6 members found this post helpful.

OMG, if you're struggling with the Wintec, don't EVER try a Wise-Air. Such a pity because it's the most perfect balanced saddle ever, and I won't ever jump in anything else .... but it takes me All day, and Three strong husbands (not my own) to change the gullet. In fact, Lauren's brother is doing a remake of Taylor Swift's song, with the lyrics "This is never, ever ever, going back together. Robyn, this is exhausting...." etc.

Pessoa got it right, by the way. Their interchangeable gullet is genuinely easy, well-engineered and affordable. Nobody can ride in the saddle however. TEKNA's changeable gullet is easy, but sometimes the lock-nut fails - you can replace that easily and cheaply. Probably the best of the budget synthetics.

Some of the dial-fits are good. Rembrandt's dressage saddle works well if you don't need a modern dressage saddle with decent blocks. Wise-Air's RTF works great - but it's far too bulky in the pommel for anything with withers, and doesn't work on the narrower settings.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had to put an XW or double-XW plate into a Wintec once when I did saddle fittings for a tack store. It was nearly an act of Congress to get the tree to stretch for it! I'm glad it was synthetic because I would have scratched the bejeebers out of a leather saddle. At least the Pessoa system has little nubbins that seat into the tree; the Wintecs you had to get it lined up, held and get the screws in! (At least they did, don't know if they've updated).
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

like i said, the 2005 saddle is the same ( AP 2000) but it is actually easier. The newer one is brand new but is a 2011. it is so darn difficult, had to go to the website and watch the video with hubby, stopping it frequently and struggling with screwdrivers, trying not to damage the saddle, etc.. I really hope our horses backs don't change. EVER. LOL.

It gets easier; also if you can have someone help you the first couple of times the extra hands are great. My husband can do it easily by himself now (it used to take both of us cursing and sweating). I have a Collegiate and a Bates with easy change gullets.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Easy change system my ass! If you think the Wintec is hard you should try the Bates which is leather.

I usually end up sweating, swearing, bleeding and sometimes crying if I have to change that damn gullet!

I love the saddle and am on my second Bates, but I would rather just go ahead and punch myself in the face than mess with it!!

4 members found this post helpful.

I had trouble getting a Wintec with a wide gullet squeezed down to a medium. I called a tack store and they told me that you should always go up or down incrementally -- trying to go to far with one change is very difficult.

I had one of the Rembrandt saddles that adjusted with an allen key years ago. It worked okay but it would slip over time.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My husband can do it easily by himself now
    Phnaarrrr..... you should be ashamed, wifey !

I gave up trying to change the gullet. Fortunately, my local tack shop -- love Rick's Saddle Shop! -- changed it for me at no charge even though I bought the saddle online.

This is why I laugh when I see people suggesting they will buy a saddle with changeable gullets because they ride many different horses within the same day/week. You don't want to change those things more than every great once in a while!

My two guys are different sized (same breed - one is an XW and the other a MW), so I actually bought a 2nd saddle so I didn't have to change the blasted things out.

I have found the key was the right screwdriver. I have my "wintec screwdriver" that is super short and wide. The Home Depot guy called it a stubby when I asked for it. I'm sure he thought I was confused but works like a charm and now my record time for changing a gullet is five minutes flat. Of course when my cat tries to assist it g takes a little longer lol
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

i have a certain screwdriver i use, also. But for whatever reason, they changed the way you do it with the newer saddles. I hate it. Even my 2005 is not what anyone would call EASY- but it's not too bad. The newer ones are SUCH a pain. it's not that they need to be changed a lot to become easier. it's the newer method that is a pain. Seriously, i am praying to not have to change the damn things for a long time to never..

And if your Wintec ever gets a boo-boo expect ZERO customer service support from Wintec!
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

The first time I changed mine it took about 15 min. To me, it is easy peasy. I have a 2009 dressage pro.

Now my trainer has a pro jump and it took them about an hour to change!

I am actually avoiding using my Wintec rather than change the gullet. I swear I was in more compromising positions trying to change that freaking gullet than I have ever been while doing the dirty. It's easier to buy a horse that fits it.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

dont ask me i used the ones without the gullet change. I will stick to changing the saddle pads to alter fit on my good old crosby....

I was intrigued by the new hdr key saddle
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I love the saddle and am on my second Bates, but I would rather just go ahead and punch myself in the face than mess with it!!
    LOL, I think I actually did once punch myself in the face trying to change a gullet!

crthunder...most of my smaller handtools are stubbies. LOVE them, so much easier to handle with little hands and I can use a lot more torque. If you don't have one yet, get a stubby hammer. No more hammering *around* a nail!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte