The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    So I'd like to know when was the last time any of you sent thank-you notes to all the volunteers who donate their time at shows so that you can win prizes?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
    I edited my post above to add "volunteers". Thank you, SillyHorse.
    Life is short. Hug your horse!

I always send out a thank-you to the sponsors. A woman at my barn sponsored my championship prize, so I gave her a card, and thanked her in person. AND my friend (who won another championship) and I wrote on the board in the barn. She sponsors a lot and doesn't always receive thank-yous, so we were extra thankful.
    And the barn I ride/show at gets professional pictures of the championship receiving riders and horses with their prizes and ribbons and gets them professionally printed and sent to the sponsors.
    It's the least we can do. And it's always nice to receive a thank you when I volunteer at shows too.

So I'd like to know when was the last time any of you sent thank-you notes to all the volunteers who donate their time at shows so that you can win prizes?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
    I guess I don't understand your point. I do thank the volunteers in person in addition to the show organizers. They are giving of their time and experience. On the other hand, they also interact with all of the riders on the show grounds, so it would be unrealistic to expect, say, 100 thank you notes for a volunteer from every rider who got a tack inspection.

A class sponsor, however, only interacts with one person - the class winner.
    It seems there is a bit of hostility towards those of us who also choose to personally write a thank you to someone who has donated cash or prizes to a class, though, that I don't get. Just because the show manager thanks the sponsors does not mean the riders shouldn't also.

As always, JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    I guess I don't understand your point. I do thank the volunteers in person in addition to the show organizers. They are giving of their time and experience. On the other hand, they also interact with all of the riders on the show grounds, so it would be unrealistic to expect, say, 100 thank you notes for a volunteer from every rider who got a tack inspection.

It seems there is a bit of hostility towards those of us who also choose to personally write a thank you to someone who has donated cash or prizes to a class, though, that I don't get. Just because the show manager thanks the sponsors does not mean the riders shouldn't also.

As always, JMHO.
    No hostility, and I apologize if I came across that way. But I think it's crazy to consider a class winner signing a pre-printed card before being allowed to accept the prize to be any kind of etiquette or true thanks.

Again: the sponsor donates to the show organizers, not to the class winners. It is the show organizers who should send written thanks to the sponsors. If they don't, shame on them. If a class winner sends a thank-you to the sponsor, it's very thoughtful, but I don't think it's required.

In my experience, very few people thank the volunteers, without whom there would be no show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post

No.
    The class sponsor interacts with show management. Show management solicits the sponsorship.

Depending on the role of sponsors and/or their relationship with exhibitors it may be totally inappropriate under USEF rules for winners of sponsored class to have ANY contact with those sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I have seen it done here and I think it is a nice gesture. The winner of the class gets a pre-completed thank you card together with their first place ribbon. They are asked to sign it and leave it at the show office and then the organzers mail them off to the sponsors.
    This is what happened when I last attended the local dressage society championship show. I thought it was a great idea. I come from a hunter show background and never saw such a thing there, so it was a surprise when at the dressage show, but seemed well accepted by the competitors. I saw my trainer signing (I was merely owner and groom for that show) and handing over the cards at the backgate.

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    No.
    The class sponsor interacts with show management. Show management solicits the sponsorship.

Depending on the role of sponsors and/or their relationship with exhibitors it may be totally inappropriate under USEF rules for winners of sponsored class to have ANY contact with those sponsors.

OK, granted, my imagination may be limited, but can you give me an example of this? If the sponsor is there at the awards ceremony, am I not to speak to them when they hand me my Rolex ?
    Also, can you tell me which USEF rule we are talking about?

No hostility, and I apologize if I came across that way. But I think it's crazy to consider a class winner signing a pre-printed card before being allowed to accept the prize to be any kind of etiquette or true thanks.

Again: the sponsor donates to the show organizers, not to the class winners. It is the show organizers who should send written thanks to the sponsors. If they don't, shame on them. If a class winner sends a thank-you to the sponsor, it's very thoughtful, but I don't think it's required.

In my experience, very few people thank the volunteers, without whom there would be no show.
    A lot of people thank volunteers, at least I get thanked a lot when I'm scribing or working the gate. No need for a written thanks. I guess the little shows in my area are geared more towards appreciating sponsors and show staff. If a class isn't "sponsored" there isn't a prize, just a ribbon.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I know when I judge, I always thank my ring crew -stewards, scribes, bit checkers, etc.
    When I am a scribe, steward or bit checker, I often receive thanks from competitors.
    When I ride or coach, I thank the volunteers as do my students.
    Maybe we are just more friendly in New England LOL.

posted twice

I do really appreciate the riders who are walking their XC courses saying thank you to the jump judges as they walk by!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I knowv at least one sponsor (who provides "product" as prizes for the winners) who has said that receiving (or not) thanks from the competitors is definitely one of the factors indeciding whether or not to sponsor that competition next year.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).