The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thanking Sponsors at Shows

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this thread but here goes...

I understand that show organizers usually thank those individuals/businesses that sponsor classes. But the other day someone brought to my attention that sponsors also expect to receive a thank you note/email from the winners of their sponsored classes.

Does this happen? Do you agree? Disagree?

Thank you.
    Life is short. Hug your horse!

While I guess it's a nice gesture, I don't think it's the class winners who need to thank the sponsors. Sponsors donate to the organization putting on the show, not to the class winners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    While I guess it's a nice gesture, I don't think it's the class winners who need to thank the sponsors. Sponsors donate to the organization putting on the show, not to the class winners.
    Thank you SillyHorse. I also agree that the organization putting on the show should thank the sponsors, not so much individual class winners. When I showed I never thought about thanking a sponsor of the class. And when I was thinking about sponsoring classes, I never expected a thank you reply from class winners.

The person who brought this to my attention is from the UK. This is proper and done over there, and from what I understand, in other countries. They felt it very rude that the individual class winners in the USA never thanked them (as a sponsor) even though they were thanked by the organization putting on the show/event, and are now considering pulling all future event sponsorships.

Long story short... it made me wonder what we did over here in this regard.

I have seen it done here and I think it is a nice gesture. The winner of the class gets a pre-completed thank you card together with their first place ribbon. They are asked to sign it and leave it at the show office and then the organzers mail them off to the sponsors.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have always writtena thank you note to the sponsor of a class I have won.
    Maybe because I am from a different generation where we actually wrote thank you notes for things and sent hand written cards for birthdays and not e-cards.
    I ask the show office for the contact info - have never been handed a prewritten card, but maybe the shows have to resort to that to get the riders to send them.
    If someone put up money or prizes for me to win, it is the least I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I have seen it done here and I think it is a nice gesture. The winner of the class gets a pre-completed thank you card together with their first place ribbon. They are asked to sign it and leave it at the show office and then the organzers mail them off to the sponsors.
    Now that is a nice gesture, Mozart.

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    Maybe because I am from a different generation where we actually wrote thank you notes for things and sent hand written cards for birthdays and not e-cards.
    I ask the show office for the contact info - have never been handed a prewritten card, but maybe the shows have to resort to that to get the riders to send them.
    Thank you, dotneko. I never thought it was necessary but now feel bad as it only takes a moment to say "thank you" or to send a note. I now will be more mindful at future events.

This sounds appropriate and is a gesture of gratitude. If I sponsor a specific class I would hope the winner would have the class to thank me. Geez, even FFA kids know they need to send thank you card to the person that bought their animal.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

That's awesome, I will definitely be thinking about this for future!! And will teach all my kids to do the same, if we ever go to a show where the classes are sponsored!!

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    That's awesome, I will definitely be thinking about this for future!! And will teach all my kids to do the same, if we ever go to a show where the classes are sponsored!!
    It is a win-win for competitor and sponsor. I like to donate a gift card or a nice prize for the kids. It is so much fun watching a kid win! And the adult training level riders are usually happy campers too. It doesn't cost much to provide a prize at a small show.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I think it's a nice gesture and I personally do choose to write a thank you note to sponsors of any class that I place in. I send a handwritten card if I have a mailing address for the business, or just a quick email if not. It might not be necessary or required, but I think it's polite to show your appreciation to those who help to make events happen. I've heard back from a number of sponsors who always say how nice it is to know that competitors appreciate what sponsors do for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRose View Post
    [...] the other day someone brought to my attention that sponsors also expect to receive a thank you note/email from the winners of their sponsored classes.

Does this happen? Do you agree? Disagree?
    Thank you notes from the winners should be required. This wasn't dressage, but back in Arizona I would sponsor a division for the horse trial. I got a thank you from the organizer and from the rider. In fact, the winner had to sign the thank you card before receiving their ribbon/prize.

When the sponsor is deciding whether to send a check for the next show... you bet it makes a difference.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

As a small-scale sponsor, let me tell you, it's hard to say yes to a second go-round when you feel like your sponsorship efforts the first time were met with a deafening silence.

If a sponsor has donated a prize or cash, say thank you. For one thing, the sponsor will feel good about it, and for another thing, YOU will feel good about it!

2 members found this post helpful.

If the sponsor is a corporation, which my company did sponsor classes and even sections of shows, most people would have no idea who to send a note of gratitude to as the program noted "this class sponsored by XYZ Corp".

Our desire was to have a show that represented the quality of our company, we knew the shows organizers and their management style.... if needed we would increase our sponsorship in order to provide a class that was representative of our expectations. (such as if a specific judge was a better fit but required additional funds to acquire)

We looked at the overall show as a representative of our company, not just the class or the section we may have specifically sponsored.

When I was a regional youth director for the AMHA, I was able to get them to insert a page listing all the the sponsors into the program of the national shows and to add an index page of the advertisers so a person could locate the ads within the program.

A signed, pre-completed card? A real heartflet thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    Winning a prize is not the same as recieving a gift. I'm probably older than you, and I write thank you notes whenever I recieve a gift. That's why I write the thank you notes from our GMO to the sponsors of our classes.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Thank you notes from the winners should be required. This wasn't dressage, but back in Arizona I would sponsor a division for the horse trial. I got a thank you from the organizer and from the rider. In fact, the winner had to sign the thank you card before receiving their ribbon/prize.
    Another heartfelt thank you from a winner. Did it really make you feel good knowing the winner was required to sign a pre-printed card?

This is still practiced at many of the dressage shows sponsored/hosted by our GMO (in AZ). I have sponsored classes more than a few times for both dressage (USDF/USEF) and breed shows and receiving a thank you from the GMO/host of the show is nice. Having been on both sides of the coin (signing cards to be sent to the sponsor of the class) and being the sponsor, I really don't expect a thank you from the winner of the class.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by tm View Post
    As a small-scale sponsor, let me tell you, it's hard to say yes to a second go-round when you feel like your sponsorship efforts the first time were met with a deafening silence.
    It really does matter.

Two times I beaded my fingers bloody making matching browbands for teams. I thought the idea was lovely when approached by team "coaches" and was pleased to contribute to a group of juniors in a national adventure.

All I asked for was a team photo.

And asked, and asked, and asked.

Next time I was approached, I declined.

So, while I would have been SO pleased to get a thank you from one or more of the girls, I understood that they hadn't made the request.

If you're an organizer asking for donations/sponsorship/etc, be SURE that someone is responsible for acknowledging the gift.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    It really does matter.

Two times I beaded my fingers bloody making matching browbands for teams. I thought the idea was lovely when approached by team "coaches" and was pleased to contribute to a group of juniors in a national adventure.

All I asked for was a team photo.

And asked, and asked, and asked.

Next time I was approached, I declined.
    I don't blame you. That's terrible. And if the team members were given the browbands as a gift, they should have thanked you.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    If you're an organizer asking for donations/sponsorship/etc, be SURE that someone is responsible for acknowledging the gift.
    Absolutely! If the origanizers can't be bothered to thank the sponsors, they shouldn't expect any sponsor loyalty.

When I attended my very first horse show (as an adult not knowing anything about any of this many years ago) I was wrapped up in a whirlwind of excitement. When my horse placed first and then champion, I was so excited. The ribbons and trophies were beautiful and for me a reminder of that event. However, the thought that a "sponsor" may have sponsored that particular class never entered my mind, as I wouldn't have known to ask. Still no excuse.. but if I knew then what I know now, I would have thanked that sponsor.

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment by wsmoak:

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    ...the winner had to sign the thank you card before receiving their ribbon/prize.
    IMO having this requirement in place at all shows in the USA (local, regional, national) is a part of good horsemanship. Proper etiquette, good manners. Learning that it's not only our own hard work in preparing our horses for shows, but the hard work of others, sponsors, show organizers and volunteers behind the scenes, that make our accomplishments possible.

Thank you all so very much. This has indeed been a wake-up call on simple etiquette.
    Last edited by TexasRose; Feb. 16, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

So I'd like to know when was the last time any of you sent thank-you notes to all the volunteers who donate their time at shows so that you can win prizes?

Yeah, that's what I thought.