The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Maturing Rate?

Does anyone know if certain thoroughbreds lines are slower to mature then others? My vet made an interesting discovery on my girl this morning at her routine visit. I just wanted him to check her teeth because I plan on moving her from a side pull to a bit soon and upon opening her mouth my soon to be 5 yr old doesn't even have all of her 4 yr old incisors yet. He asked me if I was sure of her age...I have the JC papers that I was given when I bought her which show a 03-08 birth date but she was a complete racing dud so never got tattooed. She does seem to still be growing. She rump high again. Is a maturity rate more of an individual thing? I just hope I'm not putting her into training too early. The vet didn't seem worried but was surprised.

In my experience many tbs mature when they're well beyond 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels_Princess View Post
    Does anyone know if certain thoroughbreds lines are slower to mature then others? My vet made an interesting discovery on my girl this morning at her routine visit. I just wanted him to check her teeth because I plan on moving her from a side pull to a bit soon and upon opening her mouth my soon to be 5 yr old doesn't even have all of her 4 yr old incisors yet. He asked me if I was sure of her age...I have the JC papers that I was given when I bought her which show a 03-08 birth date but she was a complete racing dud so never got tattooed. She does seem to still be growing. She rump high again. Is a maturity rate more of an individual thing? I just hope I'm not putting her into training too early. The vet didn't seem worried but was surprised.
    I bought a 5yo TB last summer and he grew an inch after we started feeding him up. He is now 17.1H and still kind of weedy. We are taking it slowly as some horses just need longer to mature and fill out. No rush from my perspective. I'd rather have a healthy sound horse into its 20s than a horse rushed along when young.

Let your horse guide you.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

My 17h TB had 4 year old teeth in his 5 year old mouth according to the dentist last year. He said it wasn't a big deal.

If this helps any, here's a link to an article written by Dr. Deb Bennett:

http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_..._2008_pdf1.pdf
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

1 members found this post helpful.