The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I recently sold this girl (App x TB) to a young rider in WI. Pictured here at 2 y/o. She'll be 4 this year. Her new owner may chime in on this thread, but I don't believe she'll be for sale for a while (if ever).
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2at93040AM.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...DSCN7261-1.jpg

I've been toying with listing her half-sister (App x Han) who is rising 2 this year. We'll see, I guess.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...lle/photo1.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...photo1copy.jpg

Nice App Sport Horses are definitely out there. It's both an exciting and frustrating search!
    Last edited by Cataluna; Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Some of Rugby Creek's horses have been in training at my barn at home, and I would have to say that Evie (http://www.rugbycreeksporthorses.com/evie.htm I know she was mentioned earlier) is a very nice mare.

Yay! So glad another person has a love for App crosses in the hunter/jumper ring!
    I have a 50/50 Dwb/app mare. She is the kindest and most honest horse I have owned.

Too bad you are not in Ontario, I am getting a little sick of my mare being called a giraffe (buckskin leopard)
    Plus, people give her one look and think 'pretty but an app' and they automatically turn away. Most do not understand about app sporthorses, until you kick some butt and they are left awestruck. That is a nice feeling in itself.

Good luck on your search and good on you to promote how awesome these crosses are.

Quote Originally Posted by wrolov View Post
    Some of Rugby Creek's horses have been in training at my barn at home, and I would have to say that Evie (http://www.rugbycreeksporthorses.com/evie.htm I know she was mentioned earlier) is a very nice mare.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen her out at local Jumper shows, and I'll second that she's a nice mare!

If that mare (Evie) was closer, I'd lease her myself!
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Hunter and Char-O-Lot Ranch in FL. While they mainly breed for the ApHC circuit, I'm currently riding one of their 1998 models for a dear friend and he's one of the best horses I've sat on, mine included. Knees to his chin! Does everything, literally, hunters, jumpers, eventing, straight dressage.....
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Cataluna, I remember your posting pics of that lovely little girl a while ago. I recall that I thought she would have been perfect for me! I'm glad she's found a home with someone who appreciates her. The second one is lovely, too.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I almost bought an Appaloosa last year. I had watched him jump around our shows all summer and he was a really cute jumper with a terrific heart. Unfortunately, he wasn't quite the right fit for my style of riding, so I passed on him.

He was by Broadway Boogie-Woogie. I know nothing else about the sire and I haven't seen any others by him, but he certainly looks the part.
    Oh, my goodness!!! My mare is 17hh TB mare. She's so lovely and athletic. I've been looking at an appaloosa stallion called Illustrator.

Seems like they've bred appaloosas to be just stock horses and have very little to no versatility in todays world...

Good luck on your quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Thanks, all. There are some nice horses out there. I actually have talked to the owners about Evie, but not sure we will be able to work out a lease. I'm reluctant to do a one-year lease. I would do a two year! But yes, she looks love an absolutely lovely mare.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Well, the reason I am looking for an Ap is because I currently have an Appy/Trakehner cross that I love. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/DSCF0152.jpg, http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ump/photo6.jpg. He's just a super horse to work with. So I guess I'm looking for his attitude and athleticism. Spots are a bonus, but I'm not against a solid Ap if it's the right horse.

I will check the bloodlines mentioned, and I'll definitely check the Knabstruppers as well. They're just hard to find online.

Thanks, all.
    Try us, we have em!
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Stumbled upon this girl today. Maybe give this farm a call and see what they have available? Not sure how UTD the website is.

http://www.gatewayfarm.com/details.cfm?horse=72

Quote Originally Posted by Cataluna View Post
    Stumbled upon this girl today. Maybe give this farm a call and see what they have available? Not sure how UTD the website is.

http://www.gatewayfarm.com/details.cfm?horse=72
    LOVE "tastefully decorated" (in ad)!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Do you want an Appaloosa or just spots? Sadly, it seems the majority of the appies have been turned into spotted (or non-spotted) QH copies. Big bodied, heavy on the forehand, etc. Not what you would want for a jumper of any substance.

I did a search on Dream Horse and it's kind of pathetic. You'd be looking at a lot of re-training as most of them have been AQHA'd out and look like they are 90% dead and can't pick their nose up off the ground.

If you just want spots, look to Knabstruppers. You might find some of the appropriate kind of athleticism you are looking for amoung them.
    While I agree with the destruction the ApHC has done to the breed - ugh! Quarterloosas!~but for sporthorse type Appies, the WAP horses are great, and look for "Confetti" bred horses, too, both lines start with foundation blood and have a frew "add ins" but NOT QH:

confettifarms.com

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^ Yep there are still lines out there not corrupted by QH's. My first appy (athletic little devil), did not have any QH in his pedigree. A little TB, and some saddlebred way back.

Current Appy is "Conefetti" bred - half TB, but does have a little QH - 4 generations back (not much!).

There are still appies out there that are not Quarter Horses with spots - although there ARE appies that are 7/8's QH!

^^^^ Agree. The ApHC hunter breeders do put a lot of QH and TB in their lines, but it has made them really nice hunter movers with hunter pretty looks. The ApHC are certainly not breeding for dressage horses and jumper types though.

This one has a lot of QH, and fits right into the hunter ring, but would be a terrible jumper. I know the OP said she wanted a jumper, but I get so tired of the ApHC bashing.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...93_11936_n.jpg
    friend of bar.ka

Eh, I do not like what the ApHC has done to the breed, nor do I appreciate the heavy influx of QH blood. I like sport type horses, not “HUS” horses. There is little in the ApHC Magazine that I like. “HUS” is not my cup of tea, and that seems to be the way “English” riding has gone in the ApHC.

My 15 hand appy evented to prelim, and did the Children’s (3’6”) jumpers on the H/J circuit (AND children’s hunters – in the photo). You see Appies out at the “open” shows jumping decent heights and doing well.

Yet – the “Appaloosa World Show” offers three “jumping” classes – at the 2012 worlds, one class had zero entries, another had two, and the last class had a whopping 4 entries. Looks like they had one hunter over fences class.

Dressage suitability was dropped, but they have things like “two year old snaffle bit hunter” and a plethora of HUS and “hunter in hand” classes.

Appaloosa Horse Club shows appear to be very much like AQHA shows – with some spots added. I come from the school that the Appaloosa is (was?!) a distinct type, and not just a QH with spots – but that seems to be what the ApHC is turning the breed into.

2012 Results.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 28, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Eh, I do not like what the ApHC has done to the breed, nor do I appreciate the heavy influx of QH blood. I like sport type horses, not “HUS” horses. There is little in the ApHC Magazine that I like. “HUS” is not my cup of tea, and that seems to be the way “English” riding has gone in the ApHC.

My 15 hand appy evented to prelim, and did the Children’s (3’6”) jumpers on the H/J circuit (AND children’s hunters – in the photo). You see Appies out at the “open” shows jumping decent heights and doing well.

Yet – the “Appaloosa World Show” offers three “jumping” classes – at the 2012 worlds, one class have zero entries, another had two, and the last class had a whopping 4 entries. Looks like they had one hunter over fences class.

Dressage suitability was dropped, but they have things like “two year old snaffle bit hunter” and a plethora of HUS and “hunter in hand” classes.

Appaloosa Horse Club shows appear to be very much like AQHA shows – with some spots added. I come from the school that the Appaloosa is (was?!) a distinct type, and not just a QH with spots – but that seems to be what the ApHC is turning the breed into.

2012 Results.
    Ahhh... Appsolute: Preaching to the choir! I take a quick scan through the "Journal" (another AQHA emulation - used to be "Appaloosa News") and toss it. Nothing in there for me. I did keep the last yearbook issue, however, since there was a picture of my horse in it! Vanity, thy name is.... horse owner!! LOL Of course, as you know, my App is dressage bred, but both our horses' grandfather was in the 90th percentile of Foundation breeding and neither he nor any of his descendants look much like QHs! (Thank dog. Nothing wrong with a nice QH, but true Apps are NOT QHs). I have no doubt that Markey-Mark (Confetti's Magic Marker) can jump, but at 67, that's just not my thing any more. LOL. Ahhh for the good old days when I evented, did stuff like six-bar classes and showed my Apps as hunters and jumpers in open shows, successfully.

I have a soft spot for Appies and love seeing unconventional breeds doing things

I LOVED that video OtisRider!!!! You can tell she has quite the personality - even just watching her roll was entertaining and then when she got up and JUMPED right over that jump.....brilliant

What a neat mare!

Quote Originally Posted by otisrider View Post
    Ok sorry had to share a video of my Appy mare who likes to jump from today (complete with the roached mane that I'm going to show her in hunters with).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l05bjewr98...%2054%20PM.mov

Breeding 1/2 Belgian; 1/4 Rhinelander; 1/8 QH and 1/8 Appy (Grand dam (if that's the right word) http://pedigree.appj.com/pedigree.ph...nput=%23207673)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Have you checked the Appaloosa Sport Horse Assoc. website ?
    http://www.apsha.org/

(sorry if this was already mentioned)

There's 2 year old by Popeye K out of Galoubet A mare.
    http://www.apsha.org/classifieds_ful....php?a=2&b=449
    Last edited by Mardi; Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: link to young horse
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Appsolute - LOVE your first Appy - the one with no QH. I agree that I am a fan of the "old school Appy" - I remember when they were a TYPE and not just QHs (or QH x TB) with spots.

I think that old type though, was a result of alot of various blood being allowed in the breed. I think all that different blood created some VERY hardy horses! With good bone and big hard hooves and almost like a hybrid-vigor. I know the old Appies had all sorts of unknown blood - and even had Saddlebred, Morgan, Standardbred, etc.

That said - I LOVE a non-QH type Appy, The more old-type - that had a smoother look to the body, a thicker neck, the big bone and round big feet. And yes, even the jug-head and rat tail.

I love your current Appy too, very nice! I recognize some of the pics you have (from Windance Farm

For those that like an less conventional Appy - check out this HUGE boy I saw for sale awhile ago. NOT your stock-horse/QH type at all!
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ianAppy172.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

2 members found this post helpful.