The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Confirming TB's Pedigree

Hi!

My OTTB hunter's tattoo is illegible. His former owners told me his registered name. I've looked him up on pedigreequery.com and the stats basically match (color, sex, etc.) but with a 1-year discrepancy on his age.

Is there any way to confirm that he is, in fact, who I was told he is?

TIA

It might not be as illegible as you think. If you can post pictures of it we can look at it. We only need a few correct figures, and the markings and whorls on your horse to make a positive ID.

Pedigreequery isn't always accurate, as the data is entered by owners etc, not the jockey club. Try checking brisnet.com (follow the pedigree search/info prompts; free search) or equibase.com, which are part of the jockey club's database. Not only can you find info about pedigree, but also the horse's racing career.

Halo...I will get pics and post soon! I'd love to be able to have a definitive lineage and get some papers. I'll need them if I ever want to do the USEF Jockey Club TB only classes.

Zip...I checked with both equibase and brisnet and it matches with what I found on pedigreequery. Now if I could just verify that I'm looking up the correct horse!

Thanks y'all!

Yes, with color and markings information and even a few characters from the tattoo, it may be possible to make a positive identification of the horse.

There's an easy way to check.

What's the name? I will look for you and show you how as well.

HInt: Breeders Cup.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you want an absolutely ironclad verification, the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau (TRPB) is the group that puts the tattoos on, verifies all the markings with the Jockey Club, and also verifies that the horses are who they are supposed to be at the track. They won't tattoo a horse without an ironclad ID which they keep in their records. You can pay them some money (not much), send them complete photos of the horse, showing all its markings and whorls, and a photo of the tattoo as it is now. You'll need help to lift the lip and you want as close a closeup of the tattoo as you can get. Sometimes it takes two shots to get the whole tattoo.

Sometimes a blacklight will make a tattoo more readable, but the TRPB can go from the photo that you send.

If the TRPB can't make an ID, I believe that they don't charge. But they've been able to id many horses that the JC can't.
    http://www.trpb.com/tatobrnd.htm

They now do this for free, but if you want the racing record, they charge $10.

If they say your horse is a particular horse, it is in the eyes of the whole world.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thank you Viney...I emailed the Bureau. Hopefully they can give me some instructions on what I need to do.

Do tell Emily...I believe his name is Scat King; however, I am unable to confirm that.

He is a 2002 and he is Scat King.

https://members.breederscup.com/nomi...igibility.aspx

I looked him up here and he is fully matching the Pedigree Query entry. Breeders Cup is a professional database unlike PQ.

He's also on Equibase:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...715&registry=T

He won at Fonner Park and Prairie Meadows. PM is probably easiest to get a win photo from. The picture would give you a definite appearence.

Hope this helps.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries