The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finding a room near The Plains/Middleburg

I will be taking a working student job this fall, and am not sure how to go about looking for a place to live. The Farm I will be working at is in The Plains. I've searched apartments, and am not coming up with anything. Already on a tight budget, I've asked around to different breeders/farms I know in Virginia to see if they knew of anyone who could lease a room. Ideally, I could work off my board by riding/working with a farms horses, etc. However, my ultimate goal is to find a roof to cover my head.
    Any advice? I am not from the area, but about 12 hours south.
    Tips?

Thanks!

Have you asked the farm that you'll be working at? From what I know, typically if a facility takes working students they either have housing for them available, or they know where housing can be found. Also, if the farm has more than one working student perhaps you could share housing.

You could try http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...state&CatID=11

If you're not able to work off your rent, what is your budget? It is a relatively expensive area for the south.

Right away I'm seeing shared farmhouse for $700 with the possibility of reduced rent for help http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=94570

Shared house for $700 http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=94681

Shared house for $525 reduced rent for help with horses, not sure if the $525 is before the reduction or after http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=93395

Shared townhouse for $500 http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/ma...=view&ID=91514
    That one is old so may not be available.

All of the ones I listed are within a pretty reasonable distance.

I was an intern at the Chronicle one summer during college, and I ended up living in the guest cottage of a DC pundit's country home in Leesburg. Took me about 15 minutes to drive to downtown Middleburg from there. I lived with a girl who was interning at USEA and we found the place on Craigslist...I'll see if I can dig up the info and PM you. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500/month for each of us, maybe a bit less. The place was seriously awesome, though... just keep your eyes peeled, and see if there are people who need roommates!

Call one of the local real estate companies...they'll know of anything available; it's a small town (and a nosy one!) after all....that's how I found out about the place I rented when I moved there in 1985...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Thank you all so much. I had not seen the Virginia Equestrian site. I am very excited about this internship, it's a 6 month working student position. My budget being, I will be making no money and am a poor college student already paying for my horse's board kind of budget... However, I'm keeping my eyes ahead, and know it will work out.
    Thank you. Not knowing who the other working students will be yet, I am hoping we could possibly split something.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

No help re: finding a room....I worked for Foxcroft School's day camp when I was there so lived at the school. You will LOVE the area though! I miss it so much!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Also just wanted to add, advance welcome to the area
    There's a monthly Middleburg meet-up for eventers (and whoever else wants to join) and it's a great place to meet other riders. It's typically the first week of every month and there's a thread over on the eventing forum that has updates on the current date and time.
    It's a great place and I'm sure you'll love it!