The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well, I'm disapppointed....

I thought I had an older gelding for riding, while waiting for my Sammy to grow up a bit.

My neighbor stopped by yesterday to offer me their old rope horse, who's a been there, done that horse. 4-H, lessons, the works. The guy said he was a bit thin and that set off a bell in my head.

So, today, I went by to take a better look. I'd seen him last summer and he wasn't in the best shape but I thought I could have fixed him up, now, not so sure. My gut is saying 'don't do it' and I'm going with that.

The money I'd spend to fix him up, I could take that and buy and nice saddle horse for about the same.

I decided I still want to ride despite the physical injuries from the long ago car wreck. I don't care, I'm going to ride! So, I thought an older rope horse would be the ticket till my Sammy is ready.

Oh, well, back to dreaming and looking at horses....sort of....just disappointed.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

1 members found this post helpful.

Why would it cost so much to get him fixed up? Is he skinny?

Yep, he's pretty thin plus the way he was standing, I'm not so sure he's not navicular. I watched him move around and didn't like what I saw. I'm not taking on any more horses with major things wrong with them. Hurts too much when I have to let them go. Learned my lesson on that.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I say go with your gut. I took in a skinny tb this last year who had a snotty nose. Put him on antibiotics and the nose wouldn't clear up. Found out he had tie back surgery for roaring, and maybe something wasn't done right. All his food and water came back out his nose, and he constantly gets infections. Not saying this is what is wrong with that horse, but there could be some underlying condition. My "free" horse is the most expensive one I have here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you looked at the Nor Cal canter listings?