The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taste of the Wild: A cat survey

Which flavor (color of bag) to the kittehs like the most?

I usually get the green bag, but there is blue and tan, too. Should Catness try them?

I asked the feed store guy what the cats liked and he gave me a non-committal answer. Then he lied and said he had surveyed many cats. He could not, however, tell me about his sample size or the statistical methods used. But he was very nice and I got the Green flavor.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, too bad he (as a good PI on a research team) could not give you the sample parameters (how can you run good statistical analysis without?), but I can say (N=very small), my cats do NOT like either wet flavor of TOTW, even the one with the picture of a cougar on it. Just don't like that texture (chunks). They are also not blue buff fans but do seem to love ONLY ONE FLAVOR of Earthborn Holistics. Very very picky (and they are allowed to be!! )

Of courses, Mr. I-will-not-poop may be in for a diet overhaul (so far, not willing but we'll see) but EB is so far the winning formula!

Me thinks they put something special in those samples, cause my kittehs love them all. But then when I actually buy a bag or can, then it's heck to the no! I warn them all (rescues & spca break-outs) that I know where they came from. Unfortunately they know I'm a pushover, because what sane person has 6 house cats!?!?

No statistics just a few cat opinions. I have fed mine TOTW for many years! Over this time I have had 9 cats. I feed the salmon flavor in the green bag. My cats say YUM! Once I bought the tan bag and all the cats said YUCK! They had to eat it,, but they all lost weight! Got a green bag and the ate like they had been starved. So I always salmon flavored grren bag.

my cats love the green bag variety; we never tried another version of dry TOTW since we didn't have it at the feed store where I worked. I did try the canned and they didn't like it, like lili's, mine don't like the chunk and gravy foods and only eat the gravy!

I found my cats liked the Cat Food for the Chicken Lover's soul or whatever that food is; that was always a sure bet. They do not like Newman's Own at all....

I feed them two big meals of canned food a day and then they have the kibble available at all times since Heads and Houseplants Will Roll if someone wants a bite of food and there is no food apparent.

Picky little free-loaders! All six of them.

Mine eat the green bag with the cougar on it. The food in it, although one has been known to actually eat his way through the bag. As well as bags of dog food, cat litter, numerous bags of chips, bread, rolls, pretty much anything he can get into. What sane people have childproof locks on numerous doors, when the youngest child is 13?

We have one that does that too-I'm sure her guts are filled with little plastic bits! She also shreds sleeping bags, anything nylon, chairs, and pretty much anything that belongs to her "boy". She is my 15 year old son's cat and she adores him, freaky little cat that's afraid of everyone else in the wold but loves him. So she eats and destroys all his stuff! LOL

I will check bag color tonight but my kitties definitely LOVE one flavor and HATE the other. They managed to eat enough of the loathed variety to maintain their weight, but are practically jumping up and down for meals now that the evil bag is gone and the good bag has been opened. And dang it I based my auto-ship schedule on the bad bag! I think we are going to skedaddle through the good bag at a much faster pace.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

My two eat both kinds happily, but they are not what I would call fussy.

My fat girl really prefers the Purina Chow in the blue bag that my parents feed their cats over any of the grain-free options, and sneaks into their house at least once a week to clean up any that is left out.

mine loves the tan/orange bag.. it should be the venison/salmon one.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I saw and read the Green bag today. That one is "roasted venison" and "smoked salmon." (Why the additional cooking for a cat? And two different kinds of cooking.)

It also has a picture of both a cougar-- or some other large blond cat-- and some kind of elk thing. Cougar is in the foreground, ready to pounce and elk is in the back, therefore smaller.

I think this is the reading cats are doing. You know, like when the put the picture of a ripped, steroid guy on a bottle of whey protein and sell it to men.

And all the feed stores I have been to have Green flavor. Only some have Tan flavor.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My cats love the green bag. I haven't tried other bags.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I will check bag color tonight but my kitties definitely LOVE one flavor and HATE the other.
    yup, same here. I think the "what are you trying to feed me" one was the salmon one. No go.
    Recently miss I-only-eat-meat and birdies, went for ChickenSoupForTheSoul hairball kibbles !? Which has to got to have a lot of veggies, fiber in it.

Mine loves the tan bag but that was the only one they were carrying at the feed store. She doesn't know she's missing out.

Isn't it true that MeowMix is cat crack? I heard that here on COTH. Before TOTW, my cat ate that stuff foevah.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I tried the green bag. 4 out of 5 cats would not touch it. The one male that ate it stuffed his face in the bowl and choking and forgot to breathe. This guy usually eats one piece of kibble at a time.

In our house the green bag is the winner They will eat the stuff in the tan bag but they LOVE the green bag. We have one orange kitty that will come running from anywhere in the house if he hears the bag rustle......we also call it Taste of the Monkey for some reason in our house
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    we also call it Taste of the Monkey for some reason in our house
    Haha!

I thought some flavor I bought had trout in it. So I called it "Trout of the Wild." Trout is a great word and it's nice to say to a cat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

My cats happily eat all the flavors (yes, I have tried them all!) – but they usually get the green bag, as that is what my tractor supply carries.

As for cat crack – I have found that just about any corn based cat food is CRACK for the cats. We call it “cat captain crunch” – I think it is the high carbs that makes it crack like. Now and then if I run out of food (and the pet store is far away), mine will get cat crack for a day. They scream for it and wolf it down!