The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a Used Helmet?

I've been riding in a Troxel but am tired of the straps coming loose and having to reposition the helmet, especially in the wind and or a anything faster than a walk! Tried my friend's Tipperary yesterday and forgot I even had a helmet on. Found a used one for sale.

Any reason NOT to buy a used helmet? I suppose there are people who would try to sell you a helmet that had been traumatized, but hopefully that would be easy to tell.

Don't want to be a sucka, but at the same time love saving pennies on horse stuff if poss.

thanks in advance

I wouldn't. Helmets degrade over time, whether you've fallen on your head or not. Better to buy a new one and get the full life out of it than purchase a used one that may or may not be past its "best by" date.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

1 members found this post helpful.

Not only do you not necessarily know the actual integrity of the helmet....after a few years you're supposed to replace them anyway since the insides can degrade over time (and probably with the way they can accidentally get knocked around from time to time anyway).

To be honest, a Tipperary isn't that expensive (got mine for around $60) and I think that's worth getting a new one so you know exactly what you're getting.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

The only way to be sure is to buy one from someone you know and trust. There are so many decent, reasonably, priced ones out there now that I would suggest going to a tack shop and trying a lot on. You may find a brand new one you can afford.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

I thought this would be about a used $1000 GPA or something, not a $60 Tipperary. There's an Ovation model that's designed similarly that I got for $24.

Apart from not knowing the history, just the ick factor of wearing someone else's sweaty helmet would have me buying a new one.
    Well isn't this dandy?

2 members found this post helpful.

Definitely treat yourself to a new one. Your brain is worth it! On the other hand, if you knew the seller and it was a situation like, "I ordered this and wore it twice and it just doesn't fit me right and now I can't return it" then, well... Ebay = no.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by islandrider View Post
    Any reason NOT to buy a used helmet? I suppose there are people who would try to sell you a helmet that had been traumatized, but hopefully that would be easy to tell.
    I don't think it would be easy to tell. After my last fall, you couldn't see anything wrong with the helmet. But since I knew I'd knocked it on the ground, I replaced it. As I understand it, once the material inside is compressed (from being dropped or hit) it's ability to protect your head is compromised.

I don't see any reason to buy a used helmet. New ones are so cheap.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

There is not any way I would buy a used helmet and I'm tight. You just never know its real story - left in a hot car, gotten too cold, dropped on concrete from the top locker. Nope.

Bad idea.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Bad idea.
    THIS! Not worth it. Buy a new one you can afford. Scrimp elsewhere.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Do not buy a used helmet.

It could have been in a fall, and that is NOT always visible. If the foam has compressed once, the helmet is done, even if the shell and the rest of it look fine.

Older helmets break down over time anyway. They should be replaced every 5 years (from date of manufacture).

If the helmet was stored in conditions like extreme heat/cold, direct sun, or dropped onto a hard surface, that can also affect the integrity.

Not to mention someone else has sweated in it and the slight possibility of something like lice being passed.

Especially for a helmet as affordable as a Tipperary - buy new. Always.

I experienced a bad fall about a month ago and hit my head. My helmet looks just fine but I am buying another one and pitching my old one. Granted they had to special order my new helmet and it hasn't gotten here yet, so I did ride with my old one a few times. However, I *know* its history and if I fall on it again, my bad. But I would never recommend that anyone else use it. In the trash it goes as soon as I pick up my new one!

Hmmmm !!! I cannot think of a single reason why anyone WOULD buy a used helmet !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by islandrider View Post

Any reason NOT to buy a used helmet?
    Reason #1: Your brain is worth way more than any money you might save.

No other reasons necessary.

Be safe, buy yourself a new helmet.

Buy new. I did buy a used helmet from a buddy once, pretty thing, but it was old and expired. I bought it to make sure that he didn't sell it to someone else as "worn once" and then have them wearing an expired and possibly inadequate and unsafe helmet and be thinking they were good. I felt bad throwing it away, but . . .
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I am a cheapskate.

I would NEVER buy a used helmet.

It could have had a wreck, which you cannot see (I have fallen on helmets that did not have visible damage).

It could have been stored improperly (in the sun which damages the materials)

It could be OLD – which means the materials are compromised.

Long story short – it could have hidden issues that could cause it not to protect your head.

You can get a quality NEW helmet for $35.00 - I have the ovation one. I love it.

it is easy for a helmet to be damaged and not show any signs of it. In addition, helmets degrade over time so even if it did not go through any sort of trauma it still isnt as functional as a new one. Even the more expensive helmets degrade- from heat, water, or from regular use.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

There are so many helmets available for $100 or less there's really no reason to buy a used one. It's safety equipment, not a fashion accessory. You don't need to spend hundreds (frankly I think that's a bit silly, too) but when there are perfectly safe inexpensive ones available brand-new and in perfect working order, why take chances?

I really would never buy a used helmet. Like everyone has said, you don't know what's happened to it.

Buy a new one and save your pennies elsewhere.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

The Tipperary Sportage is very affordable new- roughly $70.

Never buy a used helmet for all the reasons listed: usually you can't see damage from a fall, what if it was cooked in a hot car, what if it is expired?