The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hitting the pommel of the saddle

Hi all, I was hoping some eventers with their multiple saddles might help me out a bit.

I've been doing stressage in my jumping saddle for AGES. I finally decided I was serious enough to warrent a dressage saddle so I spent some time saddle shopping. I really like the flat seat saddles because I feel like I can move around in them more.

However, a very nice quality very affordable fits me and pony like a glove saddle fell into my lap. It has a deep seat (to me) and exposed blocks.

I've slowly been inching my stirrups down to an acceptable length (I still tend to lose them if my pony is being especially exhuberant) and my body inches slowly more upright.

However, I find myself hitting the pommel of the saddle when I post. Can anyone tell me why I do this and how I can stop?

I could be wrong, but my guess is the saddle doesn't fit you like you think it does, especially now that your stirrups are longer. When I ride in dressage saddles that aren't the right shape for my pelvis, I smash the pommel. In my saddle, never an issue.

My dressage instructor has spent some time getting me to change my posting style to dressage style posting, she says I post like I'm in a jumping saddle. She wants me to post up and not forward. Does that make sense?

Sometimes it takes me a couple different descriptions to understand what people are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

I've been doing stressage in my jumping saddle for AGES.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    <><

5 members found this post helpful.

My dressage instructor has spent some time getting me to change my posting style to dressage style posting, she says I post like I'm in a jumping saddle. She wants me to post up and not forward. Does that make sense?

Sometimes it takes me a couple different descriptions to understand what people are saying.
    I understand what you are saying, but I've never had anyone work to change HOW I post (other than making my legs longer and more effective). Soooo, I guess I'm out of ideas.

If it's a much deeper seat than you're used to, you might just need to adjust your posting "style" a little. However, I'd venture to say that one should not have to change their posting or riding style (assuming it is not wildly incorrect to begin with) to suit their saddle. It really should not be an adversarial relationship.
    Click here before you buy.

LOL, I say I just sell the dang saddle and do stressage in my jumping saddle. It would certainly avoid the sea legs feeling I get switching back and forth.

That's certainly an option, but feeling strange in new pieces of tack, just like riding lots of different horses, is an opportunity to learn and become better, too.
    Click here before you buy.

I was always a rising forward and back person, until I heard William Micklem speak at the MSEDA meeting last year.

You want to be inclined slightly forward with your upper body, so as to go with the motion. However, your rising comes from a steady lower leg, rising up from your knees and kissing the saddle lightly on the downward, instead of actually sitting down. The action is more up and down, instead of forward and back. Your lower leg is stablized by having more weight on the outside of the ball of your foot, which is where the foot is placed in the stirrup. This helps to keep your lower leg lying against your horses' side, which gives your upper body ability to rise and kiss, instead of rise, hit the pommel and plop.

It took me a couple of months to get my body to change to this way of rising. I find my horse more willing to stretch long and low when I am doing this correctly. My hit the pommel and plop method of rising must have been quite uncomfortable for Tess, thus the reason why we never could achieve long and low before I made the change.

Hopefully, some of this made sense?

The saddle not fitting you could be the issue, too, which makes my very long response a moot point.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

That sounds a bit like what she's saying.

She wants me to raise my heels (especially my left heel gosh darn it), post up into the rein space but not forward, bring my shoulders back, sit taller, use my core, make my arms like Ls, post into the rein space, be loose with my lower legs and not grip but bump, and I think I forget the rest after about 30 minutes!

LOL, I say I just sell the dang saddle and do stressage in my jumping saddle. It would certainly avoid the sea legs feeling I get switching back and forth.

Put your stirrups back up. Sounds like they are too long for now.

It could be that your posting needed to change anyway....but you got away with it in a jumping saddle.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **