The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Trailer tire question...

My 'new to me' trailer needs tires all around. Right now it has 8 lug 16" wheels with 245/75R16 Load Range E radials (LT) on it. They're pretty much toast.

I know that ST tires tend to be more stable? But they seem more $$ as well...

Can I use regular LT LR E tires to replace these?

And was it ST tires that have a low speed index, or the bias tires? That you can't go past 65mph without issues?

Here's a thought if I can use LTs: can I take the tires off my Ram 2500, put those on the trailer, and just get new tires for the truck? It's tires are in great shape, just not spankin' new.Which would you rather have the new tires on?
    Last edited by Melelio; Feb. 15, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Nobody? Anybody? Help?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I had a trailer dealer once sell me light truck tires for a trailer, but have since read that you should use nothing but trailer tires on a trailer. The sidewalls are different (I think trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls?) and the rubber itself is different, because trailer tires spend more time sitting around in the sun. I stick with trailer tires (which may be the ST designation?)

I am not an expert, but I will give you my experience of recently replacing the tires on my new to me trailer. Based on the research I did, there are various plusses and minuses between the LT and the ST tires. My trailer had the original P tires on it, per the manufacurer's specifications. When I went to purchase new tires, I found that the size tire I needed was not carried in an ST and was pretty hard to find in general. I ended up purchasing LTs because I really did not have any other choice. Before I had them installed, I checked on all the trailers parked at my barn and found that they all had LTs.

As far as using your used truck tires? All I can say is I read that you should replace your trailer tires based on time, not mileage, based on the way trailer tires are used. I am not sure how use as passenger vehicle tires will affect their longevity and safety when switched to trailer tires.

LT tires require a high air pressure to carry the same load as ST.

STs have a stiffer sidewall that allows them to have lower inflation pressures to carry the same load. The idea is that the tire will act as an additional shock absorber for the trailer. STs also generally have special inhibitors etc. to prevent dry rot from when the trailer sits. LTs do not.

Yes, LTs can be used on a trailer. The key is that the "LT" designation must come after the tire size designation.

I would be more concerned about the brand and quality first, and ST vs. LT later.

What are you considering using?
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick