The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pop Rocks Dosage

Well the BO and I are splitting an order.
    I'd like some thoughts on dosing my boy. I want to do the treatment to see if there is any change.
    He is 1500 lbs. His only symptoms are that he is cranky when initially putting on the girth. Not so when we are in the arena and I fully tighten it prior to mounting.
    A bit sensitive in the loin area, but not on his tummy underneath. I can do anything I want in the sheath area.
    He has been this way since I bought him, 6 years ago. No other symptoms.
    I am leaning towards doing 14 days of 4/day and 14 days of 3/day.
    I'd like any input on how you dosed your ponies as I am open to options. Any changes you implemented as you did or did not see results, etc.
    Hopefully, at the end of this I will know if it's just him being crabby or something else. TIA!
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

The dosage is on the website (http://www.abler.com/products/abprazole#tab_0_div). Not sure the symptoms you mention would be enough for me to assume ulcers.

I think your plan is fine for an empirical trial, however, I would not just stop them cold at the end of 4 weeks even if he doesn't respond. I would wean and taper over the next two weeks, by reducing the dose little by little. (2 packs, then 1 pack, then every other day, for example)
    Click here before you buy.

They are bitter so you might want to start with less in case he turns up his nose at it. I start new horses with just one packet the first day and add a packet a day till the full dose while adding any feed enticements as needed. I have one horse who suspects me of trying to poison him and will go off feed completely if I add something "suspicious".

There is a YouTube video on checking points for suspected ulcers. Not better than scoping, but worth trying and maybe checking those points again a few weeks into treatment.

Thanks for the replies! I agree he really doesn't have the classic symptoms for ulcers, which is why I am doing this as cheaply as possible. Good idea to ramp up/down at the beginning and end. Will have to figure out how to dose, as he gets literally a handful of feed AM and PM.
    Given that he is very particular about many things, it may just be his personality, and not anything physical. Hopefully at the end of a month or so I will have definitive proof one way or the other.
    At a minimum I will probably keep some around for offsite jaunts, as I think it is a good tool to have available during more stressful situations.

Don't ramp up at the beginning, just at the end. For an empirical trial (which means "I want to try this and I'm not sure it's going to help") you want to go with a full dose right up front, no piddling around. But for safety reasons (to prevent rebound acid hypersecretion) you generally want to taper off omeprazole if they're on it more than a few weeks.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks Delta! I'll be sure to tell the BO. Will have to figure out how much to feed so he doesn't reject anything from the get-go, which is always a concern. However, when I see how much 4 packets actually are, it may not matter - I hope!!

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    Thanks Delta! I'll be sure to tell the BO. Will have to figure out how much to feed so he doesn't reject anything from the get-go, which is always a concern. However, when I see how much 4 packets actually are, it may not matter - I hope!!
    you may also want to look in what you are feeding him and how much hay he is getting.