The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sore Abdominals

We have a 3rd-4th level horse trying to move up to PSG and have cliniced with 2 people who worked the horse hard on lateral work and 10 meter circles. Now the mare is sore in both abdominal muscles. Don't know what to do for sure. It came on almost like Azoturia after a day of rest. A line has appeared along the line of those muscles and she is sensitive to palpation. She is a near perfect pet type and loves attention and grooming but she swung her head and laid her ears back as this muscle was palpated.She is an easy to collect horse but we think we over did it in the clinic and perhaps preparing for the 2 day clinic. Anyone have this happen and if so what did you do? Full rest? Light work? Drugs? Ice? Anything will help.

Call your vet, it might be a case of tying up.

If not, a bit of butazone for a few days and long active walks with you on the ground everyday until she's fine.

Ask your vet about any cream/liniment/anti inflamatory topical cream you could rub on her belly and her back with.

You might be seeing a symptom of her actual problem. Could be ulcers or back or stifles, ect.

I would take her into the vet tomorrow for a metabolic panel (in case she has muscle damage that needs urgent treatment), and a full work up. Until then, full rest.

At least sore abs means she was working correctly
    Sounds like she may have fatigued into spasm though. I would treat it as though tying up. Robaxin, electrolytes, l-glutamine will all help, and they shouldn't hurt anything if its something else (like ulcers)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'd have the vet out - but if its just sore muscles - I'd go Robaxin, a day rest, and then a lot of walking.

Treat her as you would treat yourself if you had very sore stiff, muscles. Rest, some light ant-inflammatory medication, check with your vet, and when things seem alright go slowly back into work.

It sounds as though she was in no way as fit as she needed to be. There is a big difference between third, fourth and PSG.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Depending on how low on the ab she is sore a Back on Track sheet might help
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Perhaps giving her a few days off and working on lots of hand walking and stretching will help. There are stretches you can do with your horse to help the muscles feel better.

All excellent suggestions. Perhaps massage as well?

Equine athletes get sore just like we do when we overdo it.