The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wellness Core Grain Free for Cats... for dogs?

I'm being hopeful here. I posted in the distant past that we have a funny little store here that sells scratch and dent, overstock, and store closure items. You have to sift through and pay attention to expiration dates and all that but more often than not you get a pretty good deal. The current good deal in my world is a semi-load of Wellness Core cat food. I checked the dates and the lot numbers, it's good and safe and not expired, no problems at all. It costs $7.00 for a 20 lb bag.

But-the cats hate it and the dogs love it. I live in a tiny impoverished town and this is the best deal going on food, for cats. DH is getting laid off any minute now and times are tough in the neighborhood. How bad REALLY is it to feed this stuff to the dogs for a few weeks? True confessions, I've been doing it for their breakfast meal for 20 lbs worth now between four dogs and they're all doing great, no stomach issues, reactions, nothing. They love it. The cats spit on it. I can certainly feed the dogs what they usually get but it's a lot more expensive than this little boon of quality (cat) food....

No problem at all, for a few weeks or long term. Anything that is complete for cats is complete for dogs. I often give my dogs the dregs from the cat bowls.

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome to hear you say that. Thanks!

And soon, we hope, you might a little trip east, about 100 mi....

IIRC, it's better to let dogs eat cat food than cats eat dog food (I think dogs are a little more flexible while cats have some nutritional needs that are less flexible.)

And I've never met a dog who had a problem eating it. My cats have a table in their room their bowls are on so the dogs don't scarf it all, which they will. Of course they also eat El Cheapo Barn Cat Food at the barn if I don't watch them. They may just not be picky.

lili-heading over for an interview today!

Thanks folks! I've certainly fed the dogs cat food in a pinch over the years and they've helped themselves to a LOT but I've never deliberately bought them cat food before! LOL It's such a good deal, can't pass it up!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

should be clear skies, maybe even SUN today!!

That Wellness Core is very high quality stuff. I see no reason the cat version would harm a dog. My fat cat and my corgi eat the respective Reduced Fat foods, and it keeps them from blowing up like balloons. My new dog is also fat (seriously, how do I get all these fat animals?) and he's now on the dog version as well.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

They're doing pretty well on it! It's all I've been feeding them aside from dog-appropriate table scraps which they were getting all along. They don't need nearly as much and are holding their weight and are still very shiny and happy and energetic. I have two that needed more weight and they're actually gaining on it, the Great Pyrenees and the Blackmouth Cur.

Cats still won't eat it though!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Cats still won't eat it though!
    It took my previously Iams-fed cat several weeks to convert to Core (the kitten started on it, so no problems there). I think it just smells a whole world different from the typical carbo-load food and they're not sure what to do with it.

Whomever posted that it's okay for dogs but the can't be said about the dog version being okay for cats is right. Cats can't create taurine and must get it from their foodstuffs or all sorts of bad stuff happens to them (blindness for one). If they're good mousers and supplement their diet with rodent/bird kills, they get enough, but for the typical house cat, it has to be given to them through food.

many of the higher-quality foods are actually fine for both species, and are sold for both, same food in the same package.
    Some people believe that many dogs would benefit from taurine supplementation.