The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training and Time or Health Related?

Not quite a month ago I put my 4 yr old OTTB into professional training and moved her to a local boarding barn. She's always been one to be a little testing but not terrible. When I kept her at home I didn't get much riding time due to lack of space and she lived out pretty much 24/7. She is adjusting well to the new living situation and is really blooming but she isn't getting over her sass with the idea of working. It's almost like she gets to a point where she thinks she had enough and she plants her feet and start bobbing her head (she does this with both a bit and a side pull) and starts trying to nip your feet. Her 'fits' are farther apart and not as big and she is really improving with her training. However I'm wondering if a course of GastroGuard might help her attitude? I have an appointment with my vet for her tomorrow...routine stuff, teeth, etc...and I'm going to talk to him about it too. But what do you guys think?

Well she's 4... they all go through a bad period when they figure out that they have to work... some have bigger tantrums than others, but they all seem to have them at that age.

Over 90% of race horses have gastric ulcers. Moving a horse causes stress, as can the new environment.

I think you're on the right track with the GastroGard, especially since she is trying to bite your feet, which are located at her stomach when you're riding...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."