The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I only have 1 driving pony right now, but had a pair until a year ago, and she can also be ridden (might be used for 4H this summer). I also have 1 trained riding horse and I was recently given a 3 yr old TWH that will be trained as a trail horse this summer.

Between saddles (2 dressage, 2 AP, 1 western, 1 pony western, 1 TB exercise, 1 AP on layaway), bridles, bits, parts, harnesses (2 pony pair, 2 pony single, 2 single horse), and other stuff - I don't even TRY to add it all up. I can easily have multiple saddles and bridles for each .

At least 1 and possibly 2 saddles will be on the market soon. The single pony harnesses are in use (1 working, 1 show). I am not sure what to do with the pair harnesses at this point (both useable, but not worth much) and I hope to train the riding horse to drive or get another horse to drive in the next couple of years so the single horse harnesses are staying. I also have multiple carts and carriages.

Christa

Probably,
    If shopping on ebay spend the $200 on something that retails for $2000. Otherwise you get a $20 saddle for $200.
    Go to a tack store and sit in ALL the saddles, so you know what feels really good-then search for those.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseCrazyChick1234 View Post
    Okay, opinions please? I keep window shopping on eBay haha and I could possibly get a dressage saddle, dressage pad, hunt seat pad, set of 4 polos, bridle with reins, and dressage girth for $200 which is an amazing deal!! But is it stupid to spend $200 on stuff that I won't use yet? I don't have my own horse but I'm looking and could possibly get one soon!! Even if I don't get one soon, I guarantee I will use the tack in the future.

Currently one horse. I have a Pessoa AO, a Wintec AP, and a western style endurance saddle. Considering getting a dressage saddle. I have at least 10 bits, and wouldn't you know it-my mare goes in a hackamore of which she has 3. I have one western bridle, and at least three english bridles, plus a few bridle parts.

Do not buy a package of tack on eBay for $200.

A saddle that sells on eBay for $200 NEW? Wouldn't touch it. Most likely made in India crap. There are far fewer really good deals on eBay than there used to be and even then, they are more along the lines of spending $1K to buy a saddle that was $3K new.

Unless you know a lot about the brand -- its retail price, its resell value, its quality -- don't buy it. If you find a $4000 Schleese for $400? Sure! But a no name saddle. Not even worth the $200. You *might* find a nice old Stubben for $200 or an old Passier. But even those are likely to be a bit more.

Even if you HAVE a horse, don't buy a saddle unless you know what fits your horse. If you read all the saddle fitting threads here on COTH you'll know that it can be tricky to find a saddle that really fits your horse.

I will admit that I'm a bit of a saddle collector but I never buy a saddle on eBay unless I'm sure I can resell it for at least as much as I paid for it. It used to be that I could find great deals and then flip the saddle for more, but there's not as much out there any more.

Okay, opinions please? I keep window shopping on eBay haha and I could possibly get a dressage saddle, dressage pad, hunt seat pad, set of 4 polos, bridle with reins, and dressage girth for $200 which is an amazing deal!! But is it stupid to spend $200 on stuff that I won't use yet? I don't have my own horse but I'm looking and could possibly get one soon!! Even if I don't get one soon, I guarantee I will use the tack in the future.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

That's an exceptionally bad idea... None of that tack will be good or even decent quality. If you DESPERATELY want a saddle, buy a used one from a really good brand (Prestige, CWD, Devoucoux, Delgrange, etc). Do you take lessons or something? Otherwise you probably shouldn't waste money on your own saddle.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy one!!! My mom thinks its crazy for me to keep buying stuff even though I don't have a horse. :P
    I am usually the first person to encourage buying more tack but not if you don't even have something to use it on. Until I took a break from horses a couple of years ago and sold most of my tack, I owned two saddles (CWD and Stubben Siegfried) and at least 7 bridles that I can think of (Hadfields, Antares, Edgewood, Beval Heritage, CWD, Crosby and Dover Circuit) and I didn't own a horse but I was always leasing something and liked having my own stuff. Better off waiting IMO until you are at least leasing a horse or have a regular ride. And I would stay away from that $200 pkg. on ebay, its probably all junk.

One horse...

That has more accessories than a horse could ever need...

2 saddles
    -1 County Sensation (CC)
    -1 County Perfection (dressage)

4 bridles
    - 1 Edgewood Plain Raised Padded (w/ standing)
    - 1 unknown brand
    - 1 Aramas Stockholm
    - 1 Plymouth Elite

This doesn't begin to cover boots, girths, bits, saddle pads, nosebands... Reading this thread makes me feel better about my tack-ho-ness.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I think my bit count is about 98, but I might have cracked 100, I haven't counted in a while.

My father passed his collection on to me, and I've augmented some. Sadly, as horses get to be better bred, muzzles have gotten finer/smaller, and most of the bits can no longer be used. They are just too big.

7 saddles...Antares 2 Passier a stubben a Crosby and 2 Orthoflex and about 15 bridles ....a lot of bits..soon adding Amerigo jumping saddle..

Only 1 Antares saddle but too many strapped goods.. mostly D'yon and Antares.

Ill play! I have two riding horses, a pony, and a broodmare. I have kept all my saddles from my very first, so, I have a little cheaply English and a tiny little western (both fit the pony and dd, yay!) then I have my first real saddle, English equitation type saddle, a Crosby Hampton classic. It's still in great shape even though its over 15 years old! Hopefully the kiddo will be able to use it cuz I'm not selling it! Then I have my dressage saddle, a bates Isabel Werth. My jumping saddle, exselle integra mono flap. And my western saddle for the other horse that my friends and family get to ride....sooooo that's 6 saddles, then I have a least 6 complete bridles- also many spare bridle parts like a flash or fancy stitched noseband that can be thrown together for schooling or??? And tons of girths.....and I'm still looking for a reasonably priced short leather girth in brown for my jumping saddle. I love my mono flap, but hate trying to find new tack to 'match' it!