The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Saddles : 52. 14 jump saddles and the rest are dressage. 3 that I ride in.
    Bridles : 8 that I use, for 7 ponies (Po has 2 - one for XC with a honking great bit) + 8 or so spares.
    and bunches of extra bits, since I migrated from mostly french-link to mostly straight happy-mouth.
    52 saddles!!! Are you a saddle fitter?

ermahggard .... don't even get me started on girths, stirrup leathers, etc. Into the hundreds I expect. Those things seem to show up and never leave. Blankets - no. I don't like them, and they take up space. One for each pony, if needed, in dire emergencies, plus that cute blue and yellow plaid cooler that I won once.

yes.

2 saddles: My Smith-Worthington CC, and an ancient Barnsby cutback saddle.

4 bridles: Amigo bridle for daily use, HdR fancy stitch one for shows, double bridle, and an old western bridle that has been on the horse maybe twice.

9 bits: Ancient shank bit that came with the western bridle, bradoon, curb bit (for double), mullen mouth pelham, jointed mouth pelham, D-ring waterford, loose ring slow twist snaffle, loose ring plain jointed snaffle, D-ring french link..I think that's all of them. All I remember, anyway! Only use the french link, slow twist, and jointed pelham.

A standing martingale that we received from a barn mate rounds it out. It's marked horse, but it's barely big enough for my little Morgan, let alone her TB!

2 Saddles - 16" Butet that I primarily use, and a 15" Beval Junior for ponies (kept that one around from my junior/pony showing days). Its a little too small for me but fits many ponies nicely.

3 Bridles - Full size Bobby's bridle, flat hunt bridle for fox hunting (its quite old but in beautiful condition), and a pony bridle (can't remember the brand).

Several bits - 4" Full cheek plain snaffle, 4" JP hunter dee, 5" JP copper oval link dee, 5" rubber mullen mouth dee, 5" short shank rubber mullen mouth pelham, and a 5" corkscrew dee (that I've only used once).

I don't have a my own horse right now, but I ride a few horses that my friend owns.

I'm a horseless ebay-a-holic. I have a bad habit of finding stuff I love, but don't necessarily need, and because it's a great deal..... and I know I'll have a use for it *one day*, I buy it!

Two saddles, two bridles, MANY bits--one horse.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

One horse. Two saddles "The barcalounger" which is an AP Barnsby Omega and is great for anything but jumping- awesome for trails. SUPER comfy. My jumping saddle Ainsley Pro National- great for jumping but I use it for everything else too. I event so at some point may get a dressage saddle. And for shits and giggles a western saddle.... to go with my western bridle (silver conchos). I am not sure just how many bridles I have but my "go to" bridle is a purple biothane one (throw it in the wash and it comes out looking like new!). Matching breastplate too. I use a Harwich for show only. I also have two other leather english bridles (one is a crosby with really neat leather work on the brow band). It would be fun to have a "bling" brow band but I am going to probably make one as the one's I see at the tack store seem WAY overpriced. I also would love to see how she would go in a Micklem bridle. Bits two french link with copper rollers (one eggbutt, one D ring), a Kimberwicke also three link with copper roller (bought it when I was doing drill team) don't usually use it. A french link without a fixed center as the copper rollers are illegal for dressage in eventing. A normal snaffle but I don't think I've ever used it because I think my girl likes the french links better. Don't ask me how many blankets/sheets/coolers I have!!!!!

2 saddles...3 if you count the new one I'm waiting for.

At least 3 bridles, but lots and lots of pieces of bridles, so may be more than that. Two I use regularly and are my good bridles.

Bits? A lot. My collection looks like a display in a tack shop. The wall they hang on is probably 12ft long by 7ft high, and they fill the wall, with multiple on each hook. I have no idea how many. For the record, I did not buy them all (though I certainly helped the collection along), but "inherited" them when the trainer I worked for for many years semi-retired from the horse business last year. There's also gobs more tack in his garage that I could have, but I currently only have one riding horse and one retired horse....that would be excessive

I have two horses, one is an Arab and the other is a TB. They Unfortunaltey can't share anything.

Mare has one bridle. Two bitting options (sidepull or rubber D) and two saddles. She gets used for lessons a lot so I have a Wintec de the LDs to trash and a much nicer Stubben for me. She has one bridle that the sidepull and bit rotate on.

Arab has two Stubbens (dressage and jumping) and a western saddle. He has four bitting options. Oval mouth snaffle, Mullen Pelham, sidepull and his western curb. He has a western bridle, a flat hunt bridle (he's my field hunter), a blue biothane bridle (for endurance rides) and a plain raised brown bridle for dressage.

I have a handful of other random bits I've collected

My daughter is 10... and we have:

1 pony
    2 saddles: a narrow Butet that fits only her pony and an Antares for everything else she rides
    3 hunter bridles: no name brands
    1 jumper fig 8 bridle: Pessoa
    2 standing martinagles: 1 Bobby's for small ponies and 1 Vespucci her for medium
    1 running martingale: Pessoa matches the fig 8
    1 pair of Eskadron open fronts
    6 girths from 38-42
    A millions saddle pads

Don't even ask me about the bits...

8 saddles, 11-12 bridles, 50+ different bits, 15ish girths, lots and lots of saddle pads. I teach lessons so I can always justify buying tack

How much of this do I really own or how much does my husband think I own??

Just made this list for the insurance company - it's ridiculously long but I didn't get rid of most of my stuff when I quit riding. Good thing b/c now getting back into it, nothing much I need.

As I'm fond of saying to folks who ask me about buying a horse, "a free horse costs just as much"...the tack alone...

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got 3 saddles (two of which are for sale), an untold number of bridle parts, two full bridles, way more breast collars and martingales than I like to think about, 30+++ bits, probably eight pairs of open fronts, more polo wraps than I'd like to think about, tons of saddle pads, a few spare helmets, and let's not even discuss how much first aid stuff I have.
    Last edited by GingerJumper; Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy one!!! My mom thinks its crazy for me to keep buying stuff even though I don't have a horse. :P

Quote Originally Posted by HorseCrazyChick1234 View Post
    I'm so glad I'm not the only crazy one!!! My mom thinks its crazy for me to keep buying stuff even though I don't have a horse. :P
    Actually that is crazy... you don't even know what size or type would be needed. I have so much stuff because I've been riding 14 years and have owned/leased/trained multiple horses.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Saddles 23
    3 Western
    8 Jumping
    10 Dressage
    2 All purpose

15 complete snaffle bridles
    2 complete double
    3 Western
    1 Bosal

142 extra bits

2 Complete Driving harness
    1 pony
    1 horse

1 1932 Road cart
    1 pony cart

18 girths
    6 breastplates
    3 running martingales
    1 standing

Don't know #'s of bridle parts, draw/side reins, boots, extra reins, stirrups/leathers, pads, etc...

Saddles - 5
    Bridles - 8, maybe a few more
    Bits - about 40, and yet I always use the same old french links!

If I document it here, then I can't, in all good conscience say "oh, just a few things, here and there. Only what is truly necessary", when my husband asks. So it will remain a vague mysterious number between 1-100.

Cindy Geres

Home of Foxwind SL (Cdn Trakehner and Cdn Sport Horse Approved)
    www.sprucelane.net

Actually, I counted and realized I have 8 saddles, not 7 but it doesn't seem so extreme now . I have one treeless, one dressage, one a/p and 5 jumping saddles.

My barn mates think I'm nuts but I like to try different saddles. My saddle fitter, I suspect, thinks I'm funny but I always have something new when he comes to the barn.

Because I've got very long legs, I tend to hoard the type of saddle that fits me when I can find them -- I need a forward flap with set back bars. If I keep them in various widths then I have something that fits everything I ride.

I also take more pleasure in finding bargains than buying new, so the fact that I found a mint condition Ainsley Chester (old style) for less than $300? It makes me happy.

I do have five or six bridles but that's because I'm too lazy to swap bits around. I like to have a complete bridle/reins set up for different situations. I keep my foxhunting tack in the trailer during hunt season, for example, because then I always have exactly what I need.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

- I need a forward flap with set back bars. If I keep them in various widths then I have something that fits everything I ride.

I also take more pleasure in finding bargains than buying new, so the fact that I found a mint condition Ainsley Chester (old style) for less than $300? It makes me happy.
    Exactly