The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deltawave, I have this argument with my vets too. I have chronic neuro pain...the human equivalent of bute will not take my pain away no matter how much i take. Gabapentin will. You cannot tell me I do not have pain because anti-inflamatories do not help me. I get frustrated when someone tells me their horse can't be in pain because it didn't get better on bute...it just means it might be a different type of pain....or beyond what bute can help with.

Fharoah, no vet school near by, but a good vet clinic with a team of competent vets. Tried the tail pull last night and she was fine...puzzled, but fine. Then did the leg cross test, but forgot what I was supposed to check for! She just put her leg back where it should be...not interested in standing with crossed legs.

Going to start the bute test tomorrow as i hope to be able to get a video before I start for a before and after.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    Deltawave, I have this argument with my vets too. I have chronic neuro pain...the human equivalent of bute will not take my pain away no matter how much i take. Gabapentin will. You cannot tell me I do not have pain because anti-inflamatories do not help me. I get frustrated when someone tells me their horse can't be in pain because it didn't get better on bute...it just means it might be a different type of pain....or beyond what bute can help with.
    And if you suspect neuro issues with your horse--and I certainly would, given what you've stated here--gabapentin can be useful for her as well. I used gabapentin on my neuro horse very successfully.

Here is an abstract discussing it's use and dosage for equines: http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs...nalCode=javma&

Neuro problems in horses can be VERY subtle while still causing some rather significant effects and I would not cross it off your list based on some basic neuro tests done at home. Get a vet who is VERY experienced in evaluating neuro horses to look at yours.

Spinal radiographs/ultrasound/bone scan/myelogram (from least invasive and costly to most, roughly) can all be used to evaluate potential spinal issues and can all be useful.

You may also find this very long thread detailing my experiences interesting: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...pdate-post-154