The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Who Will Stand Up for the Next Eighty Dollar Champion?"

That is the message at the end of this video.

http://youtu.be/fm1zSmgnQCE
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Bullshit.
    Actually, Snowman did get bought for 80.00 at an auction from a kill buyer...
    My old trainer got several show horses that were successful from auction, and all of her lesson horses came from there. We named one of them, "Almost alpo" to be humorous.

2 members found this post helpful.

Didn't even make it to the end of that crap.

There's a few tiny kernels of truth in that pile o' crap, but I ain't digging deep enough to find them.

Harry deLeyer was not a "poor farmer" - he was a working horseman with a successful riding school and business, and he was at the auction looking for school horses. Not Donald Trump, but not a "poor farmer."

This is in no way a criticism of Mr Matson, who posts a lot of entertaining stuff, and I do not expect him to verify the veracity of everything he posts for fun.

Still crap.

3 members found this post helpful.

At that time, Harry was far from rich. He bought a cheap horse from an auction and made him a champion.
    What have you done in the horse world McGurk? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

5 members found this post helpful.

Back in the day, a lot of good horses came form New Holland. I can think of another jumping success, Black Angus. Pony sized boy that blew them away at Devon

Harry was one of my idols when I was a kid. He came from a rather well off family in Holland but because of the Nazis came to the States without much.

PSA: IT'S A MOVIE!

When is Will Smith gonna do a movie of "Beautiful Jim Key"? I think he'd do it justice. Someone send him the book. You heard it here first.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

2 members found this post helpful.

If you want to manipulate peoples' feelings, they need to get to the end of the video and I, too, had problems with the "tug at the heartstrings" inaccuracies.

Harry deLeyer wasn't a poor farmer and he didn't spend "his last $80" buying Snowman.

Clearly whoever made the video favored drama over the truth.

Thank you, LaurieB, for making the point I was trying to, and better than I did.

Zenyatta, I think you completely and utterly missed my point, so I apologize for not expressing myself more clearly.

I was opposed to the blatant and stupid manipulation of this video, that implies because Harry bought Snowman from an auction over 50 years ago, we should all go out and save a horse from slaughter. Really???????

I have nothing but admiration for Harry, who was a true working professional who earned his every success with hard work and talent. I have no idea why that calls my resume into question, but among a lot of other things on my equestrian CV, I worked for Harry's brother, Willie, back in the 70s, which I think puts me a lot closer to a primary source than the author of that dreadful video.

4 members found this post helpful.

Good comments,. mcgurk. thanks.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/