The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feiner Stern Mare out of W line Dam -- Good Crosses

Hi,

I have a mare by Feiner Stern and out of the W line. I am thinking of breeding her but am trying to choose a good stallion.

She is old fashioned build (i.e. heavy). She is completely trustworthy. Never buck; never rear but she can be a little spook. Very light off the leg and forward. She can also be tense in the back. She is about 16'3".

Iron Spring suggested breeding her to UB40 but I worry about his hot temperament. I like Contango but they feel that will create too big a horse. And I am not a fan of frozen semen.

I have been looking at Harmony's Rousseau too.

Here is a link to her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spPHxv0w5EU

That is an old video; but this site doesn't let you attach pics and you can see her. Like I said, she doesn't like to use her back and she doesn't move out of the shoulder very well. Forgive the awful music. It was accidentally chosen and I couldn't get it out.

Does anyone have any input on a good cross for this mare? I am an amateur rider so temperament is more important to me than super flashiness.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh if she were mine, I would cross her with Londonderry in a heart beat! But then again, I admit I am a little biased with L line stallions (have an L mare myself)

I think it would improve on her a great deal, just not sure how it would turn out temperament wise. L + W tends to throw somewhat of a hot temper, but she has W on the dam line so probably wouldn't affect as much.

Your mare is lovely. I agree with your assessment of her. My thought is that the well-bred Feiner Stern’s daughters should be bred, if at all possible, if only to carry him forward for future generations. Years ago we wanted to breed to Feiner Stern, got talked into breeding to Feinbrand instead. I sometimes think about the "what if's."

We love Contango (more precisely, I love him, Arthur is beyond mere love, he has an altar in our home to him and lights votive candles to him )… but I agree you’d end up with a lot of horse. I think Londonderry is a great choice (and a proven combination), but did you consider Florianus II. ISF would know better than I, but I thought he was lovely up front… with the qualities you want. From what we've heard, you need a mare with a good engine (which you have).

btw, you can post photos here if you pay to become a premium member... it's about $30 or so, i forget. Our P-membership has expired and I need to renew it.

What is her registry? Her bloodlines suggest Hanoverian, so why not select a refining Hanoverian sta
    llion. Fabregas, or Schwarzenegger perhaps. I like Londonderry to or perhaps Heinrich Heine. Lots of choices. She is not very old fashioned. Nice mare.

I have been looking at Harmony's Rousseau too.
    Interesting, a friend is considering Rousseau for her Feiner Stern mare.

Since most of the stallions you mentioned are KWPN, I assume you are planning to go KWPN with the foal - correct? (well, Contango was actually Oldenburg, but did most of his breeding for KWPN.)

And I agree with Sunndays - the mare doesn't appear terribly heavy and old fashioned in the video.

I bred my Feiner Stern/Diamont mare to Rubignon and couldn't be happier with the resulting filly. Truly fabulous cross. Filly is the easiest temperament of any foal I ever produced.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

There are two successful Donnerhall line stallions out of Feiner Stern mares, so Donnerhall would appear to be a good nick. Dauphin and Denario both have Feiner Stern in the damline. There are others, but I haven't had enough coffee yet to remember who they are. Lucky you having a Feiner Stern mare.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Her registry is Oldenberg Verband.

Now I have been looking at Bugatti and Don Principe.

Apparently, these guys have super temperaments. Don Principe is by Donnerhall.

Still Looking .....

We bred our Feiner Stern/Weltmeyer mare to Sir Gregory and love the resulting filly (a coming yearling). Very easy going temperament and good movement. She was a premium GOV foal.

I have a similarly bred mare with F & W lines. She is a little more old style than modern. I am breeding her this spring to Flint GSF (by Weltstern) at Greenstone Farm in Virginia. I share similar concerns about temperament and train-ability and find the Greenstone horses to have super minds. They are not as "famous" as some of the other large warmblood breeders. But for me it is as much about it being an uncomplicated process as it being the right stallion. I need the stallion owner to understand what I am trying to accomplish and being sincere in helping me to achieve it. That has been my experience with working with the owners at Greenstone Farm. I feel as if their attitude about anything I might ask or need is "no problem". Good luck with your mare.