The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Doubling up on Nimmerdor?

Hello,
    I am new to this forum, but I had a breeding question and I know there are some knowledgeable people on here, so I'd thought I'd see if anyone had some advice to help me out I am having a diificult time picking a stallion for one of my broodmares this year. After quite a bit of looking and researching, I decided that I love Zilverstar VDL Cardento/Libero H/Nimmerdor for her, however she is a Caretino/Nimmerdor/unknown mare, and I am not sure about that much Nimmerdor. Can anyone give me some input on this? Or does anyone have a different stallion suggestion. The other two guys I like for her are Larimar and Ralando II. She has had five babies by Cartouche Z (Carthago/Le Mexico/Gag xx) and they are nice but a little small and I just want to try something different. She herself is as close perfect as can be but I'd like to add a bit of height. I don't know how to add a picture of her, so... Any help would be much appreciated!

I would only consider doing that if your mare has a great hind end, good hind leg conformation and no hock problems whatsoever. I have known several Nimerdor's with hock problems at a fairly young age and Libero's hind leg conformation is not desirable either. Great performance if you can keep it sound!
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

1 members found this post helpful.

The champion Freeman VDL at the KWPN selections this year is three times line bred to Nimmerdor.

http://www.horsetelex.nl//horses/pedigree/1538238

http://content.streamone.nl/og/jDn2b...SFC/1360925098

Hope he turns out to be as talented under saddle as he is beautiful.

Emmerton himself is a product of crossing Emilion onto a Nimmerdor mare the damline goes back to Ahorn.

Hope to use him maybe this year or next on a Nimmerdor grand daughter.

We have linebred to Nimmerdor many times with pleasing results, great limbs and good hocks. Highest scoring colt we have ever presented to the KWPN inspectors with 80% for movement and over all score of 76%. The colt however was as sharp as they come, maiden mare by Goodtimes, however her daughter the following year was very sweet.

We have also had good results with a Wellington son when bred to mares who's dams were descendants of Aram, Amethist and Ahorn.

Five year old in France

2 members found this post helpful.

Never heard that on Nimmerdor hock problems. I have a lot of his Goodtimes daughters here and a LOT Nimmerdor sons have done so well and he went to stallion of the century because of it in Holland. Maybe it was something on the dam side or just the situation those ones were in. But, I don't think this is a Nimmerdor trait. We double up on him all the time and just super results. NEVER a hock problem. If anything they are solid with a strong hind leg.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Then again most breeders do not have those crosses in the barn when they are 8 years or older. Kathy when you speak with Wiebke he can give you some examples
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the info guys! It sounds like Nimmerdor can be linebred if done carefully with success. All of the examples have been mostly with the Nimmerdor farther back in the pedigree than what I was thinking about doing, with the exception of Vdl Emmerton. Edgar, I hadn't known that about Libero H's hind leg confomation so thanks for that. I'm still on the fence about this as I love Zilverstar... Here is a pic of my Caretino/Nimmerdor mare if that helps anyone with any advice http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psf198f305.jpg

[QUOTE=Luch;6839997]Thanks for the info guys! It sounds like Nimmerdor can be linebred if done carefully with success. All of the examples have been mostly with the Nimmerdor farther back in the pedigree than what I was thinking about doing, with the exception of Vdl Emmerton. Edgar, I hadn't known that about Libero H's hind leg confomation so thanks for that. I'm still on the fence about this as I love Zilverstar... Here is a pic of my Caretino/Nimmerdor mare if that helps anyone with any advice http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psf198f305.jpg[/QUOTE

Libero is a son of Landgraf , so attention should always be paid to the hind legs when using this blood.

I have seen Zilverstar on several occassions and he has good hind leg conformation.

And if you are going that route Libero is an interesting story of successful line breeding - look up his story under his name Achill 81
    www.immunallusa.com

They are saying no. Maybe it was in the translation. I've just never heard of such a thing. You best double check with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Then again most breeders do not have those crosses in the barn when they are 8 years or older. Kathy when you speak with Wiebke he can give you some examples
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

No dog in this fight at all but double Nimmerdor is something you can find over and over again in the breeding of many horses showing at the Grand Prix level. I noticed this years ago when watching the GPs at WEF. I'd like a particular horse, look up its pedigree and there sat double Nimmerdor. And it wasn't just one horse but numerous horses.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."