The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Small dog vaccine question

Tomorrow my horse vet is coming out to give my dogs their shots.
    My two chins weigh under 10 lbs , does the dosage vary according to their weight? Sorry if this is a stupid question-never concerned me with the 70lb wolf hybrid. However, my chins are small and extremely lively and healthy. This vet will charge me $90 for each and my fancy vet is $300 per dog.Is this a good decision?

I don't know, but I'm glad I have my small animal vet. $99 for exam, vaccines, fecal, HW test and a free nail trim.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Yes, we are in a pricey area for vets. I'll always use my chin vet for anything else,she is an amazing surgeon.

I recommend having the horse vet do the dog vaccines and routine dog care. I remember how hard it was to drag two 90lb Chesapeake Bay Retrievers into the small animal vet's office. One would go limp and make me drag or carry her into the office. The other, a male, would snarl and try to fight with any male dogs in the waiting room. I dreaded vet office visits. When the horse vet works on the dogs in the barn, the dogs are cheerful and well behaved. Now, I am fortunate enough that my daughter does most of their vet work when she comes home for a visit.

No, the vaccine dose does not vary by weight.

My vet said that he's required by law to use the whole bottle (one dose per dog, whether a 4 pound chihuahua or a 200 pound mastiff) HOWEVER I have heard of some vets fudging a bit—using a partial bottle—for teeny, tiny dogs. Honestly, I find it shocking and a little worrisome that they use the same quantity for dogs of such different sizes!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Wow, $300 is pretty pricey for routine vaccines. I dont think you are cheaping out by getting someone in to do them cheaper. Just make sure they do a thorough physical exam (as THIS is what you are paying for...vaccines are not a costly item). And as another poster mentioned, you vaccinate based on "dog" not size in most cases. If you are worried about your dog getting too much, split up the rabies and the other shots onto alternating years.

When I sold over the counter vaccines at the feed store I would always tell people first, that I wasn't a vet, and second, my understanding was that immune systems are 'one size fits all'...

I started my runt chi puppy on her vax when she was 8 weeks old, she got tired after the first one, a five way, and did fine on all the rest.

I left out the Lepto for my little Chi mix. They said that was the one that had the most reactions from small breeds and since it wasn't prevalent in our area, they felt fine doing it. (If yours are older and have already had it with no reaction, I would go ahead and keep it up though) And I was also told that all dogs get the same "amount" of vaccine, size didn't matter.
    Kerri