The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MRSA?

One of my Irish Wolfhounds suddenly appeared with a lesion on his lower back leg, near the hock. The lower leg was swollen (edema) and he had a 103.4 fever. I rushed him to the vet, and had them culture the wound. Pending culture results he was put on Baytril (he was already on Cephalexin for a respiratory infection, and had been for a week) and Previcox, and the vet had me hose it with warm water twice a day. The fever and swelling went down very quickly, but the wound developed sort of a hole in it.

It looks like a bite wound or a lick granuloma (it is neither, but that's kind of what it looks like), about the size of a quarter.

The culture came back with a couple of enterococcus that are sensitive to Batril so that is good, but also a staph MRSA that is not sensitive to Baytril, but is to doxycycline, so he started that this morning at a high dose in addition to the Baytril. The vet wants me to leave it open, unbandaged, and not put anything on it, but continue irrigating it and said now to also use soap.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this? The good thing is that he is not lame on it, it does not seem painful, and he is leaving it alone. I am worried though, MRSA, yikes!

I just got over it myself. Mine never ruptured so I was lucky. My Dr. said that if it did he wanted me to clean it out 3x a day with a Q-tip soaked in Peroxide. It needs to heal from the inside out

HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS!!!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Thanks, Nootka, glad you got over it OK!

What antibiotics did you take?

I think I read something about hydrogen peroxide killing it...something so simple!

Apparently smoking pot does too.. LMAOO. I didn't choose that route though

I was on a genaric Bactrim and it took over 10day for my abcess to go away. I hope it never comes back! If you look on the off topic day you will see my post there about it. I had NO idea what it was or how I got it.

Found it
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...03#post6717303
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

You should clarify with your vet if your dog has MRSP/MRSI or MRSA. The MRSP/MRSI is the more common form in canines than MRSA. Saying that, a very very small percentage of dogs can get MRSA an it is infectious to people. MRSP/MRSI is very very minimally infectious to people and significantly more common in dogs. Basicallly they are all very similar, just more species specific and some more dangerous to humans.

This is a WONDERFUL document that can likely answer 99% of your questions: http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/upl...0-%20Owner.pdf

Often times vets will call MRSI or MRSP "MRSA", as we are familliar with the term. However, this means very different things on the way you manage your pet.

Good question, Squish, as to whether it is MRSI, MRSP, or MRSA. I did not see the written report, he read it over the phone to me, and I thought I heard "MRSA" and was a little surprised that it was sensitive to doxy, as I thought MRSA needed more heavy duty antibiotics. He did seem a little concerned about transmission to me in that he now wanted me to use soap on the wound, but still did not suggest covering the wound or taking any other precautions. Of course I am most concerned about transmission to the other dogs, as they share dog beds, etc. and live closely together, but evidently many animals and humans harbor these bacteria and they do not usually cause problems.

UPDATE - Squish, belated thanks for the great website, and you were correct, it was MRSP and not MRSA. Actually they cultured three organisms in his wound, Hafnia Alvei, MRSP (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Psuedointermedius), and some enterococcus. The Hafnia was sensitive to Baytril, and the MRSP to doxycycline. The enterococcus was sensitive to both. The wound healed up just fine, and he was on the antibiotics for three and a half weeks. However, a week after he was taken off the antibiotics, he spiked a 104 fever and had lymphedema in the opposite, uninjured leg. Bloodwork indicated a raging infection although we do not know where it is at this point. So he is back on the antibiotics for eight weeks. I was fortunate to find that much doxy (a local Walmart pharmacy) as I understand there is a shortage. The good news is that he now seems to feel great! Has anyone had anything like this?

1 members found this post helpful.