The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which of the WB registries is the most "valuable" for a mare?

IF you had a mare that could go into ANY registry, which would you pick and why?
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    IF you had a mare that could go into ANY registry, which would you pick and why?
    AHHA , KWPN and AHS. They have the most quality , name recognition and support of the mothership in Europe

4 members found this post helpful.

I would go with either Hano or Oldenburg. They are the ones who support breeders the most, plus are very recognized.

It is also important to consider your breeding plans in the future - both AHHA and AHS make breeding with stallions outside their book difficult. For me, GOV is a reputable and respected registry that allows me wide open stallion choices and to attend one inspection with all mares/foals.

1 members found this post helpful.

KWPN, AHS, or GOV. Reputation and standards.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

2 members found this post helpful.

I am going GOV, although I was extremely impressed with the Hanoverian inspection I attended as well. AHHA and KWPN do not have "local" inspections, but are great books. It came down to the stallion selection though. Don't forget to look at who you want to breed to.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I like a registry that focuses on high standards and on improving quality. I chose AHHA because of that and because of the proven, consolidated genetics in Holsteiner horses.
    But you should definitely consider your purpose.
    Do you want to sell the mare as a broodmare? Personally, I would choose the registry with the highest standards and high recognition for performance.
    Do you want to start or continue a generational breeding program? Personally,I would choose a breed with high standards and consolidated genetics.
    Do you want to breed and sell all your F1 babies? Personally, I would weight the costs and benefits of more closed vs. more open registries in addition to quality.
    What is really not a consideration to me is number or location of inspections. Breeder support is nice, but would not really be a top priority unless the support demonstrably helps me increase my sales.
    I am a fan of weighted cost/benefit analyses - it helps me clarify what is really important to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like a registry that focuses on high standards and on improving quality. I chose AHHA because of that and because of the proven, consolidated genetics in Holsteiner horses.
    But you should definitely consider your purpose.
    Do you want to sell the mare as a broodmare? Personally, I would choose the registry with the highest standards and high recognition for performance.
    Do you want to start or continue a generational breeding program? Personally,I would choose a breed with high standards and consolidated genetics.
    Do you want to breed and sell all your F1 babies? Personally, I would weight the costs and benefits of more closed vs. more open registries in addition to quality.
    What is really not a consideration to me is number or location of inspections. Breeder support is nice, but would not really be a top priority unless the support demonstrably helps me increase my sales.
    I am a fan of weighted cost/benefit analyses - it helps me clarify what is really important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    AHHA if I was breeding for jumping horses,
    KWPN for dressage & jumpers,
    AHS for dressage.

All three have high standards and produce outstanding horses. That's also where I look first when buying horses.
    Sandy in Fla.

AHS or GOV. This is what I look to for when buying and reg foals.
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

KWPN is my registry of choice for all my offspring as I need to stick to one for my horses at home. My next choice is AHS. Then GOV and AHHA.

KWPN has a lot of data on the horses, which I like a lot. AHHA has super stamm line info for the jumpers. But, then we use a lot of the AHHA in the KWPN too.

A lot can have to do what is in your area too and what your breeding for.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst