The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me think - NA dressage stallions with great hind ends and canters

Friend is looking for a stallion with a very good hind end (as in, powerful, and with good ability to sit and carry), and a great canter. Goal is a dressage foal with good gaits and rideability for a dedicated amateur, and not too big (16.3 or smaller).

Stallion must be available via fresh semen (no MWF collection schedules), and either have a good show record (preferably at 4th Level or above), or if a young stallion, very good results at a 70 day performance test. Color is not important, but he must be approved by AHS, OHBS/GOV, or KWPN.

Your thoughts?

Boleem. A finer hind end (and hip/back/loin connection) with natural carrying ability is harder to find.

I know people are looking for the newer stallions, but he was not old fashioned. At all. TB blood close in the Ladykiller xx and Lucky Boy xx, the great foundation TB's used for wb breeding back in the day.

Not promoting at all as I stopped actively marketing widely a few years back because of age parent that took priority over stallion marketing.

He's no longer alive but excellent frozen semen is still available. In fact, have a lovely weanling being boarded with me right now... awewome to see those traits being carried on. Can see it in her already.

I just couldn't resist replying. He was on the USET Training List after all and had a tremedous FEI perfomance record with the Poulins.

Video is on youtube and can be linked below.

1 members found this post helpful.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Weird, I thought I had replied to this earlier this morning, but apparently it didn't go through.

Susan, thanks for the suggestion. However, the MO does not want to use frozen semen (14 y/o maiden mare).

Does anyone else have suggestions?

I love Freestyle's canter. He is also short backed with a great hip, and proven, with outstanding semen and SO. He is tall, but when I bred a mare to him the resulting colt didn't mature over 16 hh. Approved AHS and GOV, among others.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

How about Diamond Stud? With Diamond Hit, Don Schufro on the sire side and I believe Holsteiner on the Dam side he may fit the bill.

Wolkentanz II and Schwarzenegger both competed to that l;evel, and have good canters and conformation.

would have to see the mare, but Don Principe has thrown great canters consistantly.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else have ideas?

The mare is by a Donnerhall son, and the owner isn't keen on close linebreeding. She is considering Qredit, though. Donnerhall is three generations back in his pedigree. Same for Diamond Stud, so we will take another look at him, but I do not believe he will meet the owner's performance criteria.

We need a list of CDI dressage stallions standing in NA - maybe I will start a separate thread.

I will second Wolkentanz II. He is one of the best stallions we have standing in NA and the W-line is certainly known for their hind ends.

Rousseau is another stallion that has proven he can produce via his stallion sons.

Baroncelli is a stallion that S. Hassler is competing at FEI level fairly successfully. And Pik L is being competed GP this year as well.

Lagoheidor is a very interesting stallion and is essentially a jumper bred stallion. They tend to have great hind ends and jump in their canter.

Not sure what are the pluses and minuses of the mare are conformationally so not sure of what other criteria that stallion must have.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Doubling and tripling up on Donnerhall is resulting in super nice offspring.
    Furstenball is a prime example.

And if you want the performance credentials, then the list of CDI stallions and fresh is very restricted.

So for example if you did use a direct son of Donnerhall, the resulting offspring would have Donnerhall as a grandfather and great grandfather--actually the but in reverse of Furstenball.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

I visited Marydell farm once and found the youngsters very impressive. 3 good gaits, and the best canters I'd seen in any young group. Now Don Principe's youngsters are consistently proving themselves in competition, and he himself has been successful to Grand Prix.

What about Royal Prince?

Might want to call Hilltop (and other large stallion stations). They are quite helpful and really know the stallions and the offspring.

Don Principe does seem to throw good canters and he himself is built really well behind. There is one in the area by him that is really talented and I know his trainer thinks very highly of his potential as an FEI horse. I also really liked his son Doktor Wendel. Great! canter (and really beautiful to boot!).

I also like Bon Balou, great engine and canter and just a lovely dual purpose stallion. I loved him as a two year old at his licensing and am glad he was imported.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Sir Gregory.. He has a very nice canter his record is getting better everyday and he has already put a good number of foals on the ground also he is 16.2 on the smaller side.
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

Farrington(Wellingon x Doruto) Keur puts on an awesome hind leg and canter and all the rest too. He has many proven offspring competing Grand Prix. Schroeder (Schroeder x Escudo I) has a super hind leg and his canter is tops. He is a very unique Sandro Hit son because of his dam side and Escudo I. He is starting PSG this year and just started with an FEI rider.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

DY, I would also encourage your friend to look at FEI jumper stallions as well.

A good jumper often makes an excellent dressage mount. Boleem scored higher in jumping in his 100DT in Holland than the flatwork...yet he went tops at GP dressage.

She/you may want to look at that side to see which jumpers are also producing good dressage horses. Just thinking outside the box.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

I had a chance to see Wamberto in a clinic last fall and he was very impressive. I have no idea what kind of temperament he throws. I looked at A LOT of stallions when I was breeding a few years back and if I were to breed again I would definitely check him out.
    He's only been shown to third so far but his stallion performance score is excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefIURNEUEY
    http://hasslerdressage.com/hasslerdr...-alt/wamberto/
    Last edited by Stacie; Feb. 16, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Lagoheidor?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    I had a chance to see Wamberto in a clinic last fall and he was very impressive. I have no idea what kind of temperament he throws. I looked at A LOT of stallions when I was breeding a few years back and if I were to breed again I would definitely check him out.
    He's only been shown to third so far but his stallion performance score is excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefIURNEUEY
    http://hasslerdressage.com/hasslerdr...-alt/wamberto/

There is a Wamberto filly living with me right now. She was a custom foal out of one of my mares. Since day 1 she's had a great temperament, she was a very good improvement upon the mare. Even as a yearling now she's got a LOVELY hind end/ loin connection. The owner of this one is lucky. She's a great filly.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Cant beat the tempraments of the best R line stallions. Rubignon, fabulous mind, did it all and is gorgeous. Romanchero H. Same thing, also Regazzoni and Royal Prince. The operative word was AMATUER dressage... the good R line are not only talented dressage horses, they TRY to make you look good. I wish someone would import one of the 6 Rhodiamont Rudilere stallions, full brothers to Romanov.