The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Gurus: Thoughts on this mare's pedigree?

This is a mare that my sister has the opportunity to breed. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on her bloodline. The goal would be a jumper that my sister would most likely keep for herself, if she were to go forward with this. The mare is lovely and athletic, good mover & jumper. Also very brave and willing. She is a high energy girl though.

My thoughts are that she is very nice (I love her as a horse), we would want a stallion that has a tendency to make quieter babies. Any insights on her pedigree would be appreciated as well as any stallion suggestions. As to stallion, there is no particular breed that she would shoot for, just something that would cross nicely. Thanks!

https://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-P...ts_indicator=Y
    Impossible is nothing.

I have only seen one Raffie's Majesty filly in person; she was a yearling, and was in an out-of-sorts stage at the time. She had some good parts, but when I saw her she looked like about 4 different horses put together; she was uphill with a good neck and shoulder, but her back and hind end didn't match up, and she was overall a bit coarse, though she had an enormous walk. I'd be curious to see what she grew into, though, she was clearly quite immature.

I looked at the filly because I like Cormorant, the sire of Raffie's Majesty: he has Tudor Minstrel and His Majesty. On paper, I'm intrigued by Raffie's Princess's pedigree-- you've got Tudor Minstrel top and bottom, sex-balanced. Tudor Minstrel and His Majesty tend to be credited with above-average movers in TBs. As always, look at the mare in front of you: does she have good qualities? And if possible, look for photos of her sire/dam...does she look like them? Look for photos of other relatives...does she look like them? Try to figure out what traits are strongly heritable (hopefully good ones), or if she is an "outlier" from her gene pool. If you notice she has her sire's long back and slightly weak hind end; and you notice other Raffie's Majestys have that same conformation, definitely look to breed her to a stallion known for improving that area.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Thanks for the input EventerAJ, I will pass it on

This is a little video of her from last year, really sorry it is sideways.... cell phone video gone awry . She was pretty green at the time, she has more mileage and is muscled up in the right places now.

Please no rider critiques, this is just to give an idea about the horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2828qvkD9Xk
    Impossible is nothing.

Ribot sire line, Tudor Minstrel 4x4? And German blood? Very interesting. I'd expect her to be quite athletic, a very good mover, and perhaps opinionated!

I think she might be very interesting with Default or perhaps Lanciano?

that is a lovely mare! you are very lucky to have her!

Thanks for the feedback! I will check out Default and Lanciano I really want to learn bloodlines like you guys
    Impossible is nothing.

Interesting pedigree. Of course Tudor Minstrel is fab, and he shows up twice. His Majesty and Jaipur have also been known to sire lovely sport horses. In the 1980's Rodney Jenkins had a Jaipur name J.P. Jaipur who was incredible (grand hunter champion at Upperville, etc). However he was a pro ride. I tried him and was , ummm, not a good match...

I look for god names, then I follow those god names down to the current horse. If I do not see sport horse names closer up then I figure that, perhaps the "jumping genes" did not get passed on; so I take the sporthorse sire with a grain of salt.

If Raffie's Majesty has produced some sport horse candidates, then perhaps the jumping genes have come down through the generations on the sire's side.

I wonder more about the Tudor Minstrel and Jaipur genes on the dam's side. Rarely do you see those horses anymore in modern sport horse pedigrees.

Not to say that traits don't skip generations or that the horses in between Tudor Minstrel and your sister's horse might have made great jumpers if they had had a chance. But I am saying that just because you find a great sport horse in the 4th generation, does not necessarily mean that the mare inherited his talent.

Of course, this is purely my philosophy; probably few others agree with me.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

No suggestions, but interesting pedigree!

Thanks again guys, if anyone else has thoughts, we are eager to hear them
    Impossible is nothing.