The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need opinions on Stoneridge farms in VA

I am looking to move my horse closer to where I live in McLean, VA. Has anyone heard of Stoneridge farms out in Great Falls? I've taken a tour of the barn and the horses seem well cared for but I've heard some negative things about the management. Does anyone have personal experiences with this place? Do they treat the horses well but sometimes not the boarders? Since I'll only be riding after work and I travel for business, I want to make sure my horse gets the proper care while I'm not there. Does anyone have any other suggestions of barns with covered arenas in the Great Falls area? Thanks in advance.

There are only 3 barns with covered arenas in Great Falls:

Stoneridge
    Madeira
    Southdown

If you have a trailer, Frying Pan Park is not too far away and has a large indoor. What sort of riding are you looking to do? Any showing?

I mostly focus on Jumpers. I know that all the barns in the area are more for hunters but I would still be trailering out to Middleburg on Saturdays to keep training with the trainer I have now. Trailering to Frying Pan would be an issue on most days since I can only ride after 6pm on weekdays. My main concern is being able to keep my horse close to McLean so that I can ride everyday after work. On weekends I don't mind trailering further to trainers/shows.

Thank you for your help TBPony. I think I'm just going to have to try boarding at Stoneridge and hope for the best.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about with your horse care there. You know how it is in the horse world, everybody has to have something bad to say about things. They have produced many lovely horses that always look in the best of condition and have won plenty over the years. I have a friend that has kept horses there for years and has been in many other barns as well. They wouldn't have their horses there if there were any problems to speak of.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by TBPONY View Post
    There are only 3 barns with covered arenas in Great Falls:

Stoneridge
    Madeira
    Southdown

If you have a trailer, Frying Pan Park is not too far away and has a large indoor. What sort of riding are you looking to do? Any showing?
    Haha there is actually a place called Frying Pan Park?? Lol!!

I don't know if Stoneridge will let you just board there or if there is an expectation of involvement in their program. I haven't heard of any issues with care, but don't have personal experience with the program.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."