The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Worming my expecting mare

I know I was supposed to worm her 30 days out and then again with ivermectin right after she foals. But it struck me yesterday that I forgot the 30 day worming!!!

She's at 325 days right now. Should I worm today knowing she'll probably be wormed again in the next 2 weeks? Or should I hold off until she foals?

Not sure where you heard 30 days out and then also post-foaling

Are you currently doing FECs? If so, when was the last one and its result?

When was she last dewormed and with what?

If you've been doing the typical (but no longer recommended) deworming every 2 months or so, then wait until she foals and hit her with Equimax or Quest Plus right after. Then, 16 weeks later (for Quest, or 12 weeks for Equimax), do a FEC and see if she needs to be done again.

And you'll start deworming the foal at about 8 weeks

I've always dewormed my brood mares with ivermectin only every 2-3 months depending time of year, then a month prior(ish) with ivermectin still so it is passed onto the foal through milk. Then when she's due again ill use one of the other non ivermectin which she will pass to the foal as it will still be nursing x
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

But that's what I mean - that is over-worming by today's standards which are based on long-term research as to the resistance issues and the fact that such frequent deworming is one cause of those resistance issues

Jb I hadn't heard of this... Though I haven't wormed any of my kiddos since shortly after I moved as my BO said she does the FEC and the two major wormings by the vet, but I was still under the understanding that if you didn't do the to wormings by vet twice a year then you'd have to do the every other month thing. Can u send me to someplace to read this? In my book less is
    More on most things. I've got lazy about keeping up with the newest studies and really need to catch up!!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

what i find interesting is the "new" protocol about fecal testing and not worming every other month, is really the "old" way we used to do it til the worm medicine folks started their blasted marketing campaigns! so glad that research has proven what is common sense

Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    Jb I hadn't heard of this... Though I haven't wormed any of my kiddos since shortly after I moved as my BO said she does the FEC and the two major wormings by the vet,
    yep, that's the protocol unless/until a FEC/individual horse says something more needs to be done But it doesn't have to be "by the vet", which implies, to me, tube deworming Most horses need just a Spring and Fall deworming, and you can do that

but I was still under the understanding that if you didn't do the to wormings by vet twice a year then you'd have to do the every other month thing.
    Nope! Quest Plus in Spring (moxidectin doesn't kill dung beetles, which are most active in Spring) and Equimax in Fall is all most horses need. If you live where tapeworms are really not an isuse, then QP can be Q, or Equimax can be plain ivermectin, but still do one tapeworm treatment.

Can u send me to someplace to read this? In my book less is
    More on most things. I've got lazy about keeping up with the newest studies and really need to catch up!!
    The best place to really learn the what and, just as important so you understand, then why, is The Horse. There's a Video link up top, with a Webinar link, and under that you can find Strategic Deworming

I've never heard the theory on deworming 30 days out. I keep them on a regular rotating schedule, unless they are due for their next wormer right around foaling, then I'll wait until right after she foals then use ivermectin. I've constantly got horses coming and going, so I just maintain a rotational schedule. Not realistic to do fecal testing on anywhere from 15-25 horses!

OP- If I were in your shoes, just deworm her right after she foals (I do mine within an hour).
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Dressage_Diva!

That's what I'm leaning towards. We worm every 4 months with the goal of an ivermectin right after the first freeze and in the spring. We don't worm in the frozen months so it's not a perfect rotation and we also have 30 horses at the farm so don't do fecals.

I'll throw my ivermectin in the kit next to my nolvasan and find something else to fret about. She's a maiden and about 2 weeks out I think...maybe less at this point. She's super soft in her hind end, vulva is starting to relax, and bag is starting to fill but is still just that "putty" edema. Baby is still sitting low and forward as well. *sigh*. I always wonder why I thought this was a good idea a year ago...