The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My dog has acne...

First off, Dogs can get acne?!?!?! I had no idea!

He has already been to the vet, did a course of antibiotics which cleared it up, temporarily. Vet then suggested Clorohexidine pads (Duoxo), but that actually made it a lot worse in a short period of time. He is off to the vet again today....

Seriously, pets! Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do?

What's he eating lately?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

where on his body is this?

If it's on his face, change the feeding/water bowl material. Especially if it isn't stainless steel.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

It is on his chin with a little on his front cheeks. The water bowl is stainless steel but his bowl is plastic. As far as his food, he gets fed Salmon & Potato from Costco (can't remember the brand right now). We tried the Kirkland signature Chicken & Rice but he didn't really like it and neither did his digestive track.

He is a Dane so there is a lot of extra lips to deal with , half of the water he drinks ends up on the floor...

ETA: he has multiple hard plastic chews that he loves to chew on as well as large knotted ropes.

I'd find a vet that has a lot of experience in dermatology to look at the dog. Good luck!

My Boxer had acne when she was a teen in dog years. The vet suggested I gently wipe her lips, flews, chin, and the small affected area on her cheek with Stridex pads twice a day. The acne cleared right up.

She has stainless bowls, and if I recall correctly, it was suggested to put the hard rubber chews (Kongs) through the dishwasher (by themselves) once a week.

My two yr old male Dobe started in with chin acne after I switched him to raw food. Now I wash and dry his chin and wash his bowl with hot water after every meal. It's healing up so the washing works

Try changing his food bowl to stainless, and wipe off his chin/face after eating.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

I had the same problem with one of my labs. It was her feeding dish. I switched to ceramic and wash it every day.

As others have rec'd, stainless or ceramic bowls that are cleaned often. Stridex works, but the alcohol can sting if there are any open sores, so I have been using hydrogen peroxide with good results.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    As others have rec'd, stainless or ceramic bowls that are cleaned often. Stridex works, but the alcohol can sting if there are any open sores, so I have been using hydrogen peroxide with good results.

Good luck.
    Saline is a better solution. Please refer to this articles and many more on the internet.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6052655_wo...-peroxide.html

http://familydoctormag.com/first-aid...han-water.html
    Last edited by Blacklabs; Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add link

The hydrogen peroxide as I use it is intended to be an antimicrobial/cleaner for the chin to prevent acne, not to clean wounds. Yes, it kills cells.

My Dobe has struggled with chin acne since he was a young guy. I was told by experienced Dobe folks to put him on antibiotics for longer than normal - like 21+ days. My vet agreed, and that is what cleared him up. He's been pimple free for quite some time now.

Thanks for the suggestions! The vet did put him on 14 days of antibiotics plus a topical cream, and he also told us to feed him in a stainless steel bowl. He said it looked more like a skin infection as opposed to acne.

So I went to the feed store and got him a stainless steel food bowl and a stainless steel bucket for water outside (was using a 5 gallon plastic bucket that did not get cleaned enough....). Current plan is to clean his food bowl at least once a day, clean the outside water bucket once a week when I clean the yard, and clean the inside water bowl at least a couple times a week along with the medications from the vet.

If that does not work, I will talk to the vet about putting him on antibiotics 3 weeks instead of two. Pets! If it is not something, it is something else!!!