The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experiences with vibration systems like Vitafloor, Equivibe?

I did a search here but did not come up with much.

I'm curious if any of you have direct experience using a vibration plate system like Vitafloor or Equivibe, especially for rehab of soft tissue injuries to the distal limb.

Thanks!

My percheron was on one during his stay at KESMARK KY. They stressed the importance of using one for many, many reasons. I stood on it myself and I could see it making a difference. Unfortunatley, that's the extent of my knowledge but if you call KESMARK I think they would be happy to explain it to you and direct you to the right sources for more info!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Win1 View Post
    My percheron was on one during his stay at KESMARK KY. They stressed the importance of using one for many, many reasons. I stood on it myself and I could see it making a difference. Unfortunatley, that's the extent of my knowledge but if you call KESMARK I think they would be happy to explain it to you and direct you to the right sources for more info!
    Need more explanation! This post without any follow up sounds like a "suckers" post. lol.
    The kind of, he said so it is, kind of logic.

What difference could you SEE..or maybe feel?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Here is my uneducated vibration plate 2 cents.

I have had 2 horses with severe lameness problems. Both soft tissue.

For BOTH of them...it took MONTHS to diagnose. And they both ended up being bad enough that the horses should have been 3 legged.

The latest horse was totally dead lame on his front left. After traveling 1-1.5 hours on the highway to the vet the horse always jogged out sound of his front left. No kidding. Even on a circle on the pavement. I watched every time.

[Upon MRI] the vets finally believed me concerning the front left because the diagnostic showed a 35-40% tear of the DDFT at the insertion site. YIKES!

And yes, the horse jogged out sound at the vet every time for 2 MONTHS.

I told the vets it was because I had him in the (bumper pull stock) trailer for an hour pre jog. His adrenaline was probably up plus he was on a vibrating floor. The vibrations for that extent of time numbed him out.

So I believe the vibrations cause a numbing sensation.
    The same happens to me when I body clip horses for 6 hours. My right hand feels funny for an hour or two following.

Do I think there is any rehab benefit? Not sure on that one. I might say no to bone and soft tissue. I might say yes to muscle (for the massage benefits).
    If I use my body clipping experience--the vibrations are not useful. In fact they are negative.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Do I think there is any rehab benefit? Not sure on that one. I might say no to bone and soft tissue. I might say yes to muscle (for the massage benefits).
    If I use my body clipping experience--the vibrations are not useful. In fact they are negative.
    I'm no scientist, but... does vibration reduce or increase blood flow? I could see it potentially being useful if you wanted to encourage/discourage blood flow to the lower extremities, maybe?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Need more explanation! This post without any follow up sounds like a "suckers" post. lol.
    The kind of, he said so it is, kind of logic.

What difference could you SEE..or maybe feel?
    Ok, then....I could FEEL that it would make a difference in that it involved more muscle activation/stimulation than standing on (non-vibrating) ground or even walking on ground. I could feel the effect throughout my entire body. Thus, I believe it would be helpful for muscle maintenance becuase it does require some muscle for long periods without the strains of actually walking. It would also increase circulation. I could see it helping soft tissue injuries to heal more properly, same reason many vets suggest hand walking during recovery. The effects of stall rest could be minimized by increasing circulation and muscle use without risking the recovery process.

As I said before, KESMARK would probably be happy to explain it more thoroughly if you are seriously considering looking into this.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know that I would give Kesmarc any real credibility, considering their safety record.

Vibration affects the small muscles and nerves that are used for balance, and may help with strengthening the soft tissues to a modest degree, but (as is typical) these somewhat soft findings in laboratory studies are quickly hustled into the mass market and sold as "new therapies" before enough is known about actual meaningful benefits or safety concerns.

Why is it accepted as universal fact that every last thing we use "increases circulation" and that this (even if it happens on a meaningful level) is always a good thing??
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Why is it accepted as universal fact that every last thing we use "increases circulation" and that this (even if it happens on a meaningful level) is always a good thing??
    A mild derailment...

From the L'Apogee website on their sheepskin pads, "Lambskin also acts as a natural electrical semiconductor which stimulates blood circulation to relieve muscle tension and pressure points." I'm so glad my physics and engineering professors forgot to mention the semiconducting properties of sheep!

ETA: isn't that why blistering and pin firing came about? Because inflammation increases circulation and thus the horse will heal faster? Nevermind that we've just added more injury that will have to heal...

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, the band gap of sheep's wool is a bit higher than gallium or silicon but much lower than carbon or alumina. The key os to rub the sheep together really fast to generate sufficient current.

9 members found this post helpful.

Just google "gimmick."

Seriously, if a vibrating floor was all it took, wouldn't we be able to magically heal all our horses by just driving them around in the trailer?

Although I am bummed that I could have made money as a kid by rubbing my sheep together and selling the resultant power...

Shouldn't we rub the sheep on rubber for that?

exactly.

~we know that heavy vibration causes numbness...
    and now we have Reed creating a warm snuggy current by rubbing sheepskin together (the body's heat receptors can block the pain receptors)...

conclusion?
    ~we should all invest in the Equivibe and L
    'Apogee's sheepskin pad so we can numb out our horses from back to toe creating an over all soundness effect.

If you rub the sheep the right way you can stick them to the wall. Or make them smile.

8 members found this post helpful.

Deltawave , a poor safety record (in one case, spectacularly, horrendously, and tragically, poor) was my first thought when Kesmarc was mentioned.
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 13, 2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Deltawave , a poor safety record (in one case, spectacularly, horrendously, and tragically, poor) was my first thought when Kesmark was mentioned.
    Is it possible for me to inquire about this poor safety record without actually derailing this thread?

ETA: Nevermind, I see that it has already derailed
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

One of the Kesmarc facilities was where the horse and young staffer were killed in a hyperbaric chamber explosion. There were a number of safety violations leading to the accident, apparently.

Ahh yes, I remember that
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Um, KESMARC?

Kesmarc is selling services. The staff -- some of whom are very good people -- may have minimal expertise in the technologies they're using.

The KY facility is completely separate from the FL facility. It is the better of the two but I would be very, very careful dealing with them. I mean, really careful. As in, don't leave your horse unattended or overnight.

Wow, I had no idea their reputation was so horrible.

Odd, considering I questioned their operating procedures after the unfortunate accident and I was FLAMED on here. Funny how things change.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Is it possible for me to inquire about this poor safety record without actually derailing this thread?
    You can PM me.