The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does anyone have a hawk trailer?

Figured I'd post here because after all, I have never seen so many trailers before at a horse show in my life! My mom and I were in shock when we pulled into Chatt Hills and there must have been a trailer for every horse that was there.

I have been doing some research, it appears that Hawk trailers are a good bang for the buck. Seem to last a long time, good customer service, great prices. Plus fiberglass roof with steel frame to keep it very cool during the summer, and being in the Southeast means some hot summer days of trailering!

I have always hauled with someone else, and recently have had issues finding rides to places when I want to go to a clinic or off the property and no one else is going. Very frustrating!!! So we are now looking into trailers.

Looking for:
    -2H
    -Bumper Pull
    -Straight load
    -at least a small tack room/dressing room
    -7'6 ceiling preferable...I have a big horse and a little one

here is the trailer i was looking at:
    http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=1

Also looking at merhow, equispirit, sundowner. Any tips? Was looking mostly for used...but around 10k new sounds pretty darn good.

I bought new a Hawk 2H straight load bumper pull w/ tack and rumber floor in 2006. I loved it and never had any problems other that the striping started to peel. I sold it in 2010 only to move up to a 4H gooseneck. Would have bought another Hawk but I found a used Custom Fab at a really good price.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Yes, I bought a brand new 2009 2-horse straight load ramp, with large tack and rumber floors. Love it! It is warmblood size, and pulls really well. I did a ton of research on trailers before we bought one and decided that I wanted a Hawk after doing all the comparisons. And, its worth the same today as what I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago The only other trailer i would like would be the Hawk in the same set up, but with the front off-load ramp as well....but sadly that one costs a bit more.

OOhh happy reviews! yay!

feetofclay- how much did the rumber set you back? if you don't mind me asking

Hawks are really nice trailers for the money
    I love mine
    Equispirits are very similar and a bit more expensive. They are the same trailer structurally (my recollection is that equisprit is a spin off of hawk and they were at least at some point related companies). Whenever equispirit comes up with a new feature they have it exclusively for a couple of years and then it shows up in the hawk- at least that is how it usd to be. So when i say they are similar, i mean really similar
    Also on the hawk- you may not need the extra tall. Whatever their standatd height is was pleqnty for my 17 h mare who did a great impression of a giraffe when she wanted to
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

I have a 2 horse straight load bumper pull Hawk with a dressing room, and Rumber floor. I bought it new in 2004, and use it a lot, both short and long distance.

I am very happy with it. It is holding up very well.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Trail-et was Hawk's 'mother' company. Accordig to my local Hawk dealer, they split off a while back but Trail-et is out of business now. They are both great brands, and identical.

I bought mine brand new in 2006 in Indianapolis and it is the biggest piece of crap ever. Within 60 days of leaving the dealership with it...the silver paint started liftingin huge pieces off of the roof and striping on the sides. I called the dealership and the woman that owns it said I had to take it up with Hawk..I sent pics and called them and they said they only had a 30 day warranty on the paint...really? 2 years ago I had the roof painted white-but all of the silver striping is practically gone and peeled off.
    There is a laundry list of things that have gone wrong with it as well as the paint...
    1. dressing room leaks from the floor and they can't figure out why.

2. Goodyear tires on it got a warped bubble in them after no time at all and when I took to get one replaced-they all need to be replaced because they were not heavy duty enough tires (with enough "ply) for the intended weight (the trailer is a warmblood size...and even the spare that came with it was no better than a car tire-I had no idea.

3. All of the wheels (the medal part inside of the tires) have completly rusted and I have had to get them sanded and repainted.

4. All of the doors and windows are very hard to open and close...have sprayed tons of silicone spray on them and they still are a PITA.

5. Ceilings in both the dressing room and the main trailer, have these sound rust spots all over them with this "sticky" residue that even the dealership could not get off...looks terrible and I have noticed it in other peoples Hawks.

6. Much of the trailer that is steel has rusted...hinges on doors and windows...tongue and ball/hitch area (even though I keep it covered at all times when the trailer is not in use.

Overall, I have been very disappointed with my Hawk...all my friends here in KY laugh because they all know how OCD I am with all of my stuff-and my trailer looks like a huge hunk of junk that I don't take care of and that is so far from the truth. Next time-I will buy a 4 Star

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My Hawk is awesome and I love it. It is a 2007 2H bumper straight load, with dressing room. It has NO problems, none. Couldn't be happier. I think you'll find a bum steer experience with any brand of trailer, but everyone I know who has either a Trail-et or Hawk is very satisfied.

YMMV
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I have a 2 horse straight load bumper pull Hawk with a dressing room, and Rumber floor. I bought it new in 2004, and use it a lot, both short and long distance.

I am very happy with it. It is holding up very well.
    Ditto here except mine is a 2009 model. It's a lovely trailer... have had a few problems with a short in the upper running lights but other than that, not a complaint, and my somewhat claustrophobic, tiny mare loves how big and airy it is.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I find it much easier to transport my hawks by putting them in their cages and taking them in the car. Saves a great deal of money vs buying them a trailer. Besides I have yet to find a trailer with a built in perch.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have a 2010 Hawk. 2H BP wDR. Love it! No problems whatsoever and I use it a lot! Before this one I had the same but a 2001, bought that one used in '05 for $7000, sold it 5 years later for same price.

With the exception of the post above I've never heard much negative about them. I got mine from Risa at Happy Trails, she has A+ customer service in my experience.

I have an Equispirit that was built by Hawk in 2002. Mine has been great although my dressign room windows leak in heavy rain if I'm driving through it and then gets on the floor. I doubt your floor is leaking. Water normally flows to the lowest point. If you had the roof repainted is it possible the painters removed calking? When we had a motorhome my dad was always on the roof sealing it up. If water is coming through a roof vent, it will find a way to go down and can follow all sorts of creative paths to get there.

We have a 1997 2 horse w/ tack room bumper pull Hawk and have not had any problems. We probably average one trip per week with it and have for a long time.

On my 2nd Hawke can't say enough good things and ZERO negotive...horse friendly and inviting...tows like a dream, tons of room, well thought out.

Holds their re-sale value well....I have a NY Elite X Tall X wide with big dressing room, built in tack trunk and shelf...and you can add those after market from Hawke....

1st one was w/O dresing room....still see it locally doing race and returns from track....

Next one will be a 2 plus 1 gooseneck...but I will need a new truck 1st....

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    I have an Equispirit that was built by Hawk in 2002. Mine has been great although my dressign room windows leak in heavy rain if I'm driving through it and then gets on the floor.
    That's right! I had the same problem with the sliding windows in my old trailer (I had forgotten about that). Switched to the louvres and no more leaks. I had my new trailer built with the louvred windows up front. Also, for FL heat, I had them put drop down windows (instead of sliders) at the head. Love that, lots more air-flow! And it wasn't too much additional $.

I had a new one built working with Risa at Happy Trails Trailers. I am just so in love with it! It's a 2+1 and I had a lot of the options built in- blanket bars, extra saddle racks, tack box, coat barn, fans, water tanks and more. I have the double doors in the back which are amazing when I have lots of horses on. Really gives you extra safety to be able to keep one door closed and back the other horse out.

Everytime we go out we remark that we don't know how we lived without this trailer. The 2+1 feature is amazing. I haul a lot of Tb's so I typically walk them up the ramp and then back them in. Much easier for me to do when I am alone that loading from the back.

Risa was excellent to deal with. I highly recommend her.

Here is a picture of my trailer
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/...21d8a1c591.jpg

Event1- there was a recent thread about hawk trailers and peeling paint. Hawk stood behind an 8 yo trailer and reprinted for a minimal cost. I love my Hawk, it is a 2006 and I have not had any complaints!

Thanks guys!

I was hoping to find one used in the Southeast. I'm in Memphis, TN. Don't know where to look :/ The closest ones I have found are in South Carolina.

Check out the equispirit website. They have a list of used Equispirits who were made by Hawk.