The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks to everyone for all your kind thoughts and jingles! The vet came out yesterday afternoon and checked her bladder and rectum. All is fine there. He ultrasounded her, and found a couple of "knots" for lack of a better word in her uterus. Vet is certain that the blood and pus is coming from her uterus, and not from her kidneys or bladder.

All vitals are perfectly normal, and it's clear that she isn't in pain and doesn't feel sick. The vet gave her some antibiotics...11 pills, twice a day to be exact, and said that if this continues after a few days to call him back and he will scope her uterus.

So, I know we are not out of the woods yet. I do feel a lot better though, knowing that it is "female problems" instead of kidney or bladder trouble. I'll keep you all posted on how things go.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Thank you for the update.

Broodmares with uterine infections are cultured and then flushed with the right antibiotic for that infection.
    Generally, those infections can clear out on their own when they come in heat, but you miss breeding time and some mares are uncomfortable when they have an infection.

At her age, I guess your vet knows best how to proceed.

Thanks for the info, Bluey. Dyna used to be a broodmare in Canada long before we owned her.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

That was going to be my guess. Flushing would be the norm as far as treatment goes.

Very happy to hear the report! Still jingling, and hoping the antibiotics clear things up!

Thanks for the update, keep us posted
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Default UPDATE

The pus stopped with the antibiotics, but the bleeding did not. The vet came again this morning and scoped her uterus. Apparently, her uterus is full of tumors. While it is possible that they are benign, it is not likely. Vet did not want to take a sample of one for a biopsy because he said that the risk of her hemorrhaging was too great.

He did not give us a timeline, but suggested that this will probably be the thing that takes my pony.

The good news is that she is in no pain. She is happy and acting completely normal. So now, we make her comfortable and wait.

Did the vet explained what may happen, what to expect and how to proceed?

Hoping all goes well for your mare in the future.

Thank you for the update.

Is removal of the uterus a possibility? Jingles for your girl.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Bluey -- I suspect that he probably did tell my mother what to expect. I am getting all of this information second hand from her, and she tends to filter things that might be upsetting. I know she's trying to protect me, but it isn't helping.

Oliverreed -- We *could* have her uterus removed, except for two things: 1. Cost. But, I guarantee we would work on rounding up the money if it weren't for 2. Her age. She'll be 29 in August. I don't want to take away her fat and happy remaining days and replace them with terrible surgical ones.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh. So very sorry, donkerbruin.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Adding to why not try for a spay is that the tumors may involve more than the uterus, probably already around some vessels you can't remove them from and there is a real risk of unstoppable hemorrhage while operating.

We had an older broodmare at 21 we were not breeding any more, because she would go very lame when carrying a foal.
    We found her dead one morning and the vet that came said her uterus was full of tumors that caused a fatal hemorrhage.
    We didn't have any warning like you did and she was not as old by far, but it will be a hard call to make, if to, knowing what is going on and already having bleeds, to wait this out or call it time.

Guess it is your mother's and her vet's call now.

I'm so sorry OP. I'm hoping that your mare's days are filled with enjoyment and happiness. *Hugs*

Oh no! Lots and lots of (((((hugs)))))
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Very sorry to hear this update. Hugs from me!