The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rita Crundwell sentencing today

Interesting article about her and female embezzlers in general:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ion-theft.html

It is just amazing that she managed to embezzle that much money from that little town, and no one raised an eyebrow. How could they not notice how she went from nothing to big deal QH diva on the salary they were paying her? It's not like her lavish lifestyle was a secret. She probably told them it was inherited, but then why would she still need to work for the city?! LOL
    You are what you dare.

She needs to spend a very long time in jail.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    It is just amazing that she managed to embezzle that much money from that little town, and no one raised an eyebrow. How could they not notice how she went from nothing to big deal QH diva on the salary they were paying her? It's not like her lavish lifestyle was a secret. She probably told them it was inherited, but then why would she still need to work for the city?! LOL
    Little bit here.....little bit there......Office Space

Defense is asking for 13 to 16. Prosecution is asking to go above guidelines, where max is 20 years. Defense is citing her cooperation, lack of criminal record. Prosecution is citing size of offense and the fact that she crippled the town. Will be interesting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2633791.html

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    She needs to spend a very long time in jail.
    I agree with this. Lack of criminal record and cooperation after she was caught does not equate to the amount she stole, that she knew it was wrong (yea, duh!), the fact that it won't be repaid (only a small fraction of it has), and the length of time she stole. I'm with the prosecution on this one.

2 members found this post helpful.

I know people who live in Dixon, and one of them has daughters who ride. He asked me if I'd heard about "that QH lady" and then told me

-- and this is priceless --

that people in Dixon said "Weeelll, we just thought she made a lotta money on those horses of hers...."

We had a good laugh about that. Nobody MAKES that kind of money ON HORSES.

ETA: my friend who is an attorney who practices in federal court tells me that they will take into account the incredibly large negative "economic impact" of her actions. I was (cynically) certain that she'd serve a very small amount of time, being non-violent, first offender and such.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Hope they give her the max. She totally messed up that town.

This line makes me want to shake this lawyer (who I realize is just doing his job).
    An attorney for a former small-town Illinois bookkeeper who stole a staggering $53 million in public funds is arguing for a lenient prison sentence, saying the woman has cooperated with investigators since her arrest and must endure "disrepute and shame" for the rest of her life.
    Disrepute and shame caused by none other than her own actions. I am missing why that should be a reason for leniency.

1 members found this post helpful.

It appears that the feds were able to reap about $11 million so far. They have 3 or so properties yet to sell and some vehicles. I am not sure if this figure reflects what they had to shell out to take care of the horses until they were sold. So it's a safe bet that Dixon will get far less than the total of what she stole.

She still faces 60 state charges.

I am in awe of her audacity. Hope she enjoyed all those years of living high on the hog because I'm pretty sure life is going to be much duller from now on.

1 members found this post helpful.

She still faces 60 state charges.
    Then there will be civil cases. She'll rot in jail but if she does get out, she'll face massive amounts of judgements against her.

She wAs ordered to federal prison for 235 months (19.58 YEARS) AND EXPECTED to serve only 17 years if she behaves while in prison.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    She wAs ordered to federal prison for 235 months (19.58 YEARS) AND EXPECTED to serve only 17 years if she behaves while in prison.
    Wow, dont murderers/rapists get less time?

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Wow, dont murderers/rapists get less time?
    She may not be a murderer, but she definitely raped the people of Dixon.

8 members found this post helpful.

from Equine Chronicle July/Aug 2003 on amateur competitors and how they accomplish so much.

Rita Crundwell of Dixon, Illinois also knows the value of great co-workers. Crundwell has worked for the city of Dixon since 1970 and has been the comptroller since 1983. Dixon is a town of 15,000 or so in northern Illinois just off Interstate 88 and Crundwell explained the comptroller’s job is similar to that of a city manager.

She said scheduling can often be a problem because there are only three employees, including her, in their small office. “Often scheduling around the others’ vacation requests is difficult but most things can be scheduled around the important horse shows.” and added, “They are used to me being gone in August, October and November.”

Crundwell appreciates her supervisors, who allow her to attend the important horse shows. “I almost had to fly back and forth from the Florida circuits this winter, but when my boss learned I was leading the circuit with my Halter mare and my Hunter Under Saddle horse, he told me to stay and show.” However, always with business on her mind too, she noted, “I do carry a Powerbook and e-mail work back and forth to the office, and also call in every day.”
    I bet you did, dear.

... then a long list of her championships and which trainers she works with, and this conclusion:

Although she is modest about her successes, Rita truly embodies the hard work ethic that propels her to the top and makes her an “over-achiever”.
    *gag*

2 members found this post helpful.

I read another article somewhere when this story broke, where a Dixon resident said they thought she had come into money from an inheritance...and they thought how nice it was that she would continue working for the city even though she was now an heiress.

As part of her sentence I am sure the judge will order restitution. A restitution order can last a very, very long time. Also, a civil (as opposed to criminal) judgment against her is good for 20 years.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Restitution is all fine and dandy, but it has to come from somewhere.

The woman's ill-gotten assets have been auctioned off, and it didn't amount to NEARLY what she stole.

Let's say they let her out and she's working as a comptroller somewhere (a big haha, frankly), how do you expect her to make the kind of money that would pay back the city of Dixon?

This is what irks me the most - they'll NEVER see most of that money again.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Oh, I agree. But there is a possibility of SOME sort of restitution in the future. Probably peanuts.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

The local news says the town of Dixon will probably get $10 million after federal expenses of $1.7 million are deducted. This weekend they're auctioning off $500,000 of her jewelry.

Happy Valentine's Day, Rita....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

4 members found this post helpful.