The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gorgeous Cattle Dog in our shelter!

I'm posting this as copied from the PHF. I know that COTHer's are good at this too! As soon as I get some contact info, I'll post it. I've also asked her for a picture.
    "Hi All!
    I am reaching out to all of you again, in hopes of finding this gorgeous boy the home he so deserves. Email me for pictures! "Texas" is is a 1 year old, 46 pound Cattle Dog with stunning coloring. He may be a "texas heeler" as his body, legs and feet are spotted, so maybe some shepherd? He is built like a typical cattle dog and has the typical coat as well as the typical cattle dog personality! He is very upset about losing his family and you can see in his eyes that he is constantly thinking about what is going on. As much as I hate to see any of our dogs loving in the shelter, my heart hurts even more for the cattle dogs. They are amazingly loyal and strong willed. This guy needs a new home! We can arrange an adoption anywhere! As a lot of you know, a few months ago, we flew a red heeler, Quinten, to Canada! We are in MD. Spread the word and help me find him a wonderful life!
    Thank you all so much"
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Is he good with cats...I have a friend looking for a cattle dog!

You might try letting this FB Community Pager know, if they haven't already posted about it.

SAVE A HEELER
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

I would like more information when you get it....

I know you are thinking "horsefolks" which is a great start- but another popular community who loves to adopt cattledogs are folks who compete with frisbee- they are called "discdogs" as frisbee is a trademark name- and the discdoggers don't use frisbee brand anyway. This is a club in MD: http://www.mad-dogs.us/
    and this is a list of clubs around the country: http://hyperflite.com/disc_dog_club_listing.html

I'll try to keep this horse-related. I had a heeler and she was the most protective, loyal, one-person dog I've ever had. Was she good with the horses though? I never ever trusted her, partly because she would run along outside their pasture to 'chase' them in(definite herding instinct), but if I opened a stall door for her to come and meet the horse, she'd cower away.

I never took the chance of having her loose in the barn if I brought a horse out on X-ties for fear she might go after it to protect me. She had already killed a coon, rabbit, chipmunk and a mouse as well as trying really hard to kill a fox that taunted her.

She was contained in Invisible Fence and did respect it as far as trying to go after the horses in pasture but did run through it several times trying to get the damned fox. Unfortunately for old, lame dog, the young fresh fox always got away.

Now, that said, the farm where the OP has her horse has a lovely older male cattle dog that seems fine with the horses. Farm owner offered me the dog maybe a yr ago, but I don't do male dogs and he also had some lameness issues. Also didn't really think it was fair to the dog to uproot him and give him new home when the one he had certainly seemed fine. Besides I wasn't really sure the farm owner really meant it about giving him away.

I did go to a no kill shelter in PA because of 2 female Cattle Dogs. Decided upon further talks with the shelter managers that one was probably too young and energetic for me and the other was dog, cat and child aggressive and would probably blow right through the Invisible Fence to get at any other critters on the farm, possibly even my own horses. I ended up with an 11 yr old Shar-Pei/terrier mix, anything but the type of dog I wanted but my heart won out over my head as she was so incredibly sweet.

But you will not find a more loving, loyal and protective dog. The dog the OP posted about, a yr old male, will probably be a high energy dog that must have a job.

Indy's Mom, I hope this dog does find a good home. Thank you for trying to help him.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Hi! Texas has been totally fine with the cats here in the shelter. he is a really great dog! If your friend would like to speak with me further, she can reach me at imadiva999@aol.com asap! Thank you so much!

Hi! This is Sheena and I work at the shelter at which Texas is located. I am happy to answer any questions you have about him, so feel free to email me at imadiva999@aol.com. Thank you so much!

can you post a link with pics?

Here is a link to our Facebook page. Scroll down until you see Texas!

www.facebook.com/carolinecountyhumane
    Last edited by Sheena999; Feb. 16, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added link

Just my experience -- we have a fabulous cattle dog -- lives on the farm with horses and cats and across the street from cattle. I came on here after I found him as a puppy and all the warnings scared the heck out of me. He is my only cattle dog so take my experience for what it is worth but he is not overly protective nor a problem with the horses. I did work with him from day one on both issues since I knew they could occur. If left to his own devices he probably would have developed a chasing behavior but with careful oversight he is fine. I wouldn't leave him at will without supervision but I don't do that with any of my dogs.

They are great dogs and very versatile and adaptable, but.....To own a herding dog, you must understand them. Raising one from a puppy allows you to get him used to cats and horses. Adopting a grown cattle dog means you are going to get one that may or may not have had cats in the family.

Hopefully someone who knows and has owned herding dogs will adopt Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    They are great dogs and very versatile and adaptable, but.....To own a herding dog, you must understand them. Raising one from a puppy allows you to get him used to cats and horses. Adopting a grown cattle dog means you are going to get one that may or may not have had cats in the family.

Hopefully someone who knows and has owned herding dogs will adopt Texas.
    tidy- you are so right. I adopted my girl when she was 6 yrs old from our local shelter and she was pretty set in her ways. To say that she was my heart dog would be an understatement. It didn't matter how many times someone came to the farm, she'd bark up a storm and run at them. I told people to just IGNORE her and DO NOT try to PET her and she'd settle down right away. Three different people decided they knew better. Two got snapped at and one got a growl. While she never connected, I always thought that if someone ever tried to hurt me, she'd rip into them without any hesitation.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!