The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Founder and laminitis are the same. Any reports today on RA?
    PennyG
    Last night Blood Horse said she was better but still in serious condition. That seems to be an upgrade from very serious.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Hoping for a good update...

BTW, the terms laminitis and founder are sometimes used interchangeably, but I think more commonly, laminitis is the acute episode while founder refers to actual rotation or sinking of the coffin bone.

7 members found this post helpful.

Founder and laminitis are the same.
    PennyG
    No, not really...

2 members found this post helpful.

The beautiful girl is in my thoughts and prayers.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Founder and laminitis are the same. Any reports today on RA?
    PennyG
    That's not the way I understand it. A horse can have laminitis and not founder. A foundered horse, however, must have been laminitic at one point.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    Hoping for a good update...

BTW, the terms laminitis and founder are sometimes used interchangeably, but I think more commonly, laminitis is the acute episode while founder refers to actual rotation or sinking of the coffin bone.
    Yes, laminitis is inflammation of the hoof laminae which can lead to so much damage to the laminae that the hoof wall is no longer attached to the coffin bone (P3) and P3 rotates downward at the toe or the entire hoof sinks. Rotation or sinking of the coffin bone is founder.

Jingling for Rachel Alexandra to pull through this. !

More info on the Nurse Mare and her foal

http://www.stonestreetfarms.com/info/?page_id=144

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklabs View Post
    More info on the Nurse Mare and her foal

http://www.stonestreetfarms.com/info/?page_id=144
    THanks for posting, Blacklabs! Its nice to see that SSF put this info out; and very nice to see that whoever owns the nursemare tries to breed a decent foal that will be cared for as best they can and will have a possible future career.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

3 members found this post helpful.

I honestly hate the nurse mare business -- even though the abandoned filly is being cared for and raised with another abandoned foal, it's not the same, it's horrible for the nurse mare and her foal and it's just not warranted. They could have given RA's foal around the clock care and found a goat or a pony as a pal. If there is a mare that lost a foal that's another story.

As far as founder and laminities being two different things -- my understanding is that it is just two different terms for the same thing --
    http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=66 -- see this article. There are many forms of laminitis or founder and degrees, but they are by definition one and the same.

Wish we could hear another update on RA.
    PennyG

1 members found this post helpful.

As far as founder and laminities being two different things -- my understanding is that it is just two different terms for the same thing --
    http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=66 -- see this article. There are many forms of laminitis or founder and degrees, but they are by definition one and the same. QUOTE-TKR

Very true, But in common parlance, a horse can be said to have laminitis, but has not foundered (dropped or rotated), and with luck may not. While a horse that has foundered is a horse that has rotated.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=66 -- see this article. There are many forms of laminitis or founder and degrees, but they are by definition one and the same.

PennyG
    Well I guess we could go around and around but NO, they are NOT the same thing. Founder is a RESULT of laminitis that is severe and prolonged enough to cause enough damage that the laminae detaches from the hoof wall (in other words, chronic laminitis).

According to this link http://www.ker.com/library/health/20...laminitis.html founder is a lay term for rotation or sinking of the coffin bone. Read the whole link and no, I will not post further on this subject on this thread.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Feb. 16, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Stonestreet posted the nurse mare pic with the filly on FB and the "comments" are piling up!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Stonestreet has gone above and beyond with communications about everything going on. I remember last year when they were a little more tight lipped about Rachel's condition at Rood and Riddle, there was virtually a Twitter and Facebook war about what they were 'hiding' and a lot of unkind and clueless things were said.
    It's really nobody's business but Stonestreet's what they do and what happens to Rachel and her filly, and reading some of the facebook comments is just incredible.
    They have a real gem in Amy who handles their social media, I believe. They are truly an asset to the racing industry.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

[QUOTE=TKR;6839327]I honestly hate the nurse mare business -- even though the abandoned filly is being cared for and raised with another abandoned foal, it's not the same, it's horrible for the nurse mare and her foal and it's just not warranted. They could have given RA's foal around the clock care and found a goat or a pony as a pal. If there is a mare that lost a foal that's another story.

I agree if the foal were discarded as some operations do, but in this case it seems that they are trying to be as responsible as possible. The one reason a nurse mare is important in this case is the amount of milk needed by the recipient foal...does a milk replacer provide equivalent nutrition, especially for a performance horse such as this foal is intended to be? My youngest gelding lost his dam on the day he was born; I don't have all the details but I do know that he had two different surrogates (the first one hated him). He is a big, strapping TB, and as sweet as pie!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

well, it's a sad thing when a valuable mare is put at risk. Since the TB racing world is all about the money value of a stallion or a mare, others will suffer.

The kind part of it is that Rachel and her foal will survive and prosper. The not so kind part is that the nurse mare and her foal may not. They might, but their value is below Rachel's and therefore they are being used to benefit the elite.

It's business, I realize that. But our emotional side is torn between the two. Doesn't make the business "right"

It's kinda like a "Sophies Choice"

someone posted in the middle of the facebook comments that THIS VERY SAME nurse mare was Rachel's nursemare. Wonder if that's correct? If so, I somehow think that's kind of cool. (though the whole concept of a "nursemare business" is crappy, I agree...)
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Not too far from the center of the political universe

Jingling madly for Rachel Alexandra and her foal!!!

Here, here!!! This really stinks!

I don't like the industry either but I do believe it has improved a lot. This particular nurse mares' owner seems quite ethical ie he insists the nurse mare foals receive the colostrum from their moms... Do not kid yourselves, the nurse mares are valuable. And also, it seems that this particular owner breeds good quality horses with a good future potential.
    If barns/breeders like Stonestreet insist on ethical conduct from their suppliers, all equines will benefit. It is the smaller barns/breeders who do not care who are responsible for the foals to end up in NH or other auctions.
    There are also some rescues who specialize in taking in these foals and adopting them out.
    A friend of mine did that 6 years ago to keep company to her orphan filly and six years ago, she still has both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    someone posted in the middle of the facebook comments that THIS VERY SAME nurse mare was Rachel's nursemare. Wonder if that's correct? If so, I somehow think that's kind of cool. (though the whole concept of a "nursemare business" is crappy, I agree...)
    2tempe, I saw that comment on the Stonestreet's facebook page too but I think the poster was mistaken. I read that comment, and then looked everywhere for some kind of info or statement to validate it and I found none. I'm pretty sure if the surrogate mare was the same one that raised RA they would have made a big deal about that. What a story though. The palomino filly is adorable too.

I love that the nurse mare owners insist that the foals all get their first colostrum from the mare. That gives them a healthier & more robust start .

Can't remember where I read it but I think the coincidence is that RA was raised by a nurse mare and now her foal will be, not that the nurse mare is the same.

Lexingon Herald Leader is covering the story pretty well at kentucky.com. I've always been more partial to another mare who shall remain nameless, but RA is a talented animal and it would be a shame for her to die from this, tragedy really, so we're still jingling up here in the rocky part of KY for a rapid and uneventful recovery and the possibility of future foals in her life without further complications.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible