The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

Second question: Who is Barbara Banke? How is she connected to Jess Jackson?

Banke is Jackson's widow and the owner of Stonestreet Farm (and Rachel A.)

Make me wonder if Rachel would always have foaling complications due to her mother also having the same troubles, even if they did breed her to small stallion or a stallion known for having smaller foals. Could just be in her genes.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    How big is RA herself? I seem to remember her from racing as being a bit greyhoundy, the lean and lanky type. Maybe they should stick with smaller stallions or ones proven not to add size to the mare. Of course, any time I saw her on TV, she was up against colts, who could be expected to have more bulk along with their testosterone, so she may have just looked a little slight in comparison.
    She is either 17 or 17.1. I forget which Calvin told me she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Stonestreet's a class operation - surely they'll make sure the nurse mare's baby is cared for.
    I have heard that some of the nurse mares are draft horses that can handle nursing two foals at once. Don't know if that is the case here, but do know of one draft mare that was rescued to be a nurse mare and she had allowed foals other than her own to nurse.

Anybody else getting "Page Not Found" on the Blood Horse article?

I don't know ANYTHING about it but I thought it was interesting that someone just tweeted that they had 2 mares in foal to Bernardini & lost both b/c of injuries after complications with the birth of too-large foals. So it MAY be that when Alex Riddle was stating earlier that he did not believe the problems with Rachel's two pregnancies were related issues, he was possibly trying *not* to say that. Pure speculation on my part though.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Try this link?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...n-very-serious

So very heartbreaking and scary - but Paynter pulled through some similarly daunting conditions.

Here's the Bloodhorse link with the press conference (video at the bottom of the page). http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...n-very-serious

Believe they said the affected section of the colon was removed.

Barbara Banke looks quite drawn and concerned, which is more telling than anything.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Anybody else getting "Page Not Found" on the Blood Horse article?

I don't know ANYTHING about it but I thought it was interesting that someone just tweeted that they had 2 mares in foal to Bernardini & lost both b/c of injuries after complications with the birth of too-large foals. So it MAY be that when Alex Riddle was stating earlier that he did not believe the problems with Rachel's two pregnancies were related issues, he was possibly trying *not* to say that. Pure speculation on my part though.
    Bernardini Is just under 16.2. of course size could be from RA's side or may be just "one of those things". I couldn't find info regarding Cara Rafaela's height.

Medaglia D'ORO is 16.2 however I think El Prado was larger.

I hope she pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by JanDinWA View Post
    I have heard that some of the nurse mares are draft horses that can handle nursing two foals at once. Don't know if that is the case here, but do know of one draft mare that was rescued to be a nurse mare and she had allowed foals other than her own to nurse.
    They would not risk RA's foal by keeping it with another foal. Most nurse mares in KY come from nurse mare farms where the foals are kept in herds and raised together.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

I know there is a farm in Lexington which has a herd of big mares who are bred by teaser stallions --(it is their reward for so many days of frustration ) . If a farm needs a nurse mare, othey can get one within 5 - 6 hours notice. It is a very efficient system.

Their foals are often older (3 - 4 months), so they can go straight to baby horse feed. I guess if a mare who had just foaled was needed, the foal would go onto bottle feeding until it was older.

These foals are kept very well and are sold to people wanting good 1/2 TB - 1/2 draft riding horses.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Here's the Bloodhorse link with the press conference (video at the bottom of the page). http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...n-very-serious

Believe they said the affected section of the colon was removed.

Barbara Banke looks quite drawn and concerned, which is more telling than anything.
    Thanks so much for this, CVPeg. Poor Ms. Banke, she just looks distraught. It's heartbreaking. Many jingles for Rachel!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It sounds as if she's got a serious abdominal infection. I can understand why that would be if she's torn something, but how would a "mere" bruised small colon infect the abdomen?
    Damaged bowel gets very "leaky" for lack of a better term. Even if there wasn't a perforation or hole, toxins from the gut could leak from the bowel into the blood stream or abdomen.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Damaged bowel gets very "leaky" for lack of a better term. Even if there wasn't a perforation or hole, toxins from the gut could leak from the bowel into the blood stream or abdomen.
    Thanks for explaining further.
    They did say she was on IV antibiotics, fluids, nutrition and an anti-inflammatory.

Here's another story, with a link to her 2009 Woodward attached. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...er-giving-foal

That was such a remarkable race. The boys were pushing her all the way - the first quarter in :22.85, and they kept approaching her, but she just dug in and wouldn't give up. It was the 5th Grade 1 she won in a row that year - with 3 being against the boys - The Preakness, The Haskell, and The Woodward. That day at Saratoga the crowd just went absolutely wild when she finished in front.

Just praying she'll stay a tough cookie for this most important victory.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    She is either 17 or 17.1. I forget which Calvin told me she was.
    No way can she be that tall. If guess not much more than 16h. I'm jingling like mad for a ful recovery. RA is beyond a superstar, she is all that and a p and b sandwich.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

If her mother had problems foaling, and she's having problems foaling, I hope they don't breed this filly when it grows up. The genes aren't THAT valuable it's worth the risk. (Unless this one or the Curlin colt do show 1 1/4+ talent, or are super-flexible sprint and route, maybe.)

So sad about this news Jingling like crazy for RA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    But where is the nurse mare's foal? I would definitely chip in to make sure he/she was in good hands.
    that was my second thought.. I hate that they had to separate those two as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I know there is a farm in Lexington which has a herd of big mares who are bred by teaser stallions
    I visited Taylor Made farm a few years ago. On our tour, we drove by a pasture that had some draft-type mares and foals. The woman who took us on the tour said they were their nurse mares (if one was needed).

I'm really worried about Rachel....recovering from the infection, the surgery, the possibility of laminitis, etc. Like someone else said, Paynter pulled through a tough situation so hopefully Rachel will too.

While I can't say it has nothing to do with Rachel's genetics, Dr. Woodie has stated that the two issues(last yr & this yr foaling, etc) don't have anything to do with one another.
    They way I read his statements regarding it, was that he didn't think her problems have anything to do with genetics.

Maybe they should breed her to Castledale.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?